GLaDOS Prepares Countdown for Portal 2 ARG's "Final Test"

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
... Very sneaky valve... you create cleaver marketing promotions to hype us up, now present a way to release the game EARLY by buying other games first... you sly bastards... I'm not sure if I want to hate them or congradulate them. I can't afford it at the moment sadly, spent my monthly budget getting Portal 2 and pre loading! Lets hope others might be able to boot up GlaDOS sooner. Oh well, just a few more days. Otherwise.

arithine

Nov 21, 2009
Well I have amnesia running, the only one of the potato games I own, I did get the potato for joining that group though. Let's hope we can get enough people soon, I was looking forward to this all night.

Yellowstone

Apr 1, 2010
swimon said:
It's more to it than just buying and playing the games you need to get potatoes on your profile (at least I think you do there is a potato symbol on the page and your profile can get potatoes from the games). Actually one thing everyone can do (everyone with steam) is join the steam group NELIPOT which nets you a potato.

Other than that I only know of how to get it for AAAA a reckless disregard for gravity. Type in "Killing you and giving you advice is not mutually exclusive." (without quotation marks) into the screen that comes up when you click the portal button in the lower left corner. When you do that you get a new level that you need to get a perfect score on. The other potato in AAAAAA is hard to explain, youtubing it is way easier.
Here's a Google Doc with the list of how to get the potatoes:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1vPutCkoZKA9XL5ZjSuNXfX8NfoeHW3xcrv7DgalKUfE&pli=1

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I guess I could turn on Amnesia once I get home from work. Must restart Glados!

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
Rofl its the old "drink more ovaltine" gag.

A cookie for the first person to name the reference

Yellowstone

Apr 1, 2010
Okay, apparently getting potatoes is not necessary, only logging playtime.

http://www.thinkwithportals.com/blog.php

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
I wish I could get excited but I have a smorgasbord of Work to do including making a film...Perhaps I will treat myself to Portal 2 the week after next /thinking digitally thinking aloud.

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
So she needs at least 122,439 potatoes for Portal 2 to launch early? In the last 10min I checked we gained 43 potatoes so maybe more people will contribute later on in the evening. Almost guarentee that after this weekend, Portal 2 will launch on Sunday or Monday hopefully when everyone has time off. [Hermit Weekend]

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
They say that players should focus first on "The Wonderful End of the World".

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/valveARG2

Kontar

Jan 18, 2008
BoredDragon said:
Rofl its the old "drink more ovaltine" gag.

A cookie for the first person to name the reference
Easy, "A Christmas Story". That's exactly what I thought of when I read this as well.

Valve is a clever money making giant. I love you Valve.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Hmm... I wonder what people who get all 36 potatoes gets? It said something about not being hat-based (yay!). I wonder if it's a copy of Portal 2... It's really hard not to force myself to not try getting them all! But some of them are a giant pain to get though... (I've already got them all from AAAAAAAAAH! A Reckless Disregard For Gravity and Super Meat Boy, but I still have over 20 to go).

Dec 14, 2008
Well, we managed to shave about an hour off the timer.

Come on people, all we need to do is play alot of pontless games! I'm pretty sure everyone on the Escapist knows how to do that.

Uncertain

Jan 26, 2009
The pointlessness annoys me. It looks like we might get it a day early at most, for which countless thousands of people would have to spend the preceding three days constantly playing games they may not particularly want to play.

Surely it makes far more sense to just play/do anything you want, as usual. If you want to play one of those 13 games, go ahead, otherwise do something you'd prefer. It's a win/win scenario.

I reckon this end-game is Valve giving back to the indie devs for promoting P2 by ensuring that thousands of people feel obliged to buy and play their games. This, to me, explains the minor effect the playtime's had so far: there's like one hour off the clock, almost. I expect that this part is designed to last at least three days so that the indie guys get their effort's worth out of it, while Valve also get to say that they released a game slightly earlier than they said they would.

It's obvious of course, I just don't understand why most feedback seems to be positive. It is clever, but still...

"We COULD release it on the 15th, but you can't have it until you've played Toki Tori for 24 hours."
"What? Why? Oh, I see, you owe someone a favour. I'll just get to work then, will I?"
"Please. Oh, and you should also spend most of your weekend searching for obscure potatoes, for no clear reason."

I hate potatoes. They're dry and brown and horrible. And don't worry about GLaDOS, she's booting up either way. I've been watching videos of it happening for the past nine months.

Enjoy your weekend.