God of War Ragnarok Thread

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You could kinda piece it together based on the history of Tyr's temple in GoW '18. Freya says the temple had been submerged in water for 150 winters, and then later you find the vase with Kratos' visage on it in the temple's vault. So yeah, that vase was in the temple probably years before the temple became inaccessible for 150 years.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I mean, Kratos is still a god and survived hades itself like 3 times(I might have missed an excursion or two) by this point? I just assumed he's immortal as far as aging goes.

Also the fact Kratos is a tough SOB that took down the entire Greek Pantheon through the sheer power of BIG MAD so something as trival as a couple of centuries probably has no power over him.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
56 hours in... Just beat one of the two optional super hard bosses, one more to go and I will have Platinum'd every God of War game.

Edit: Neat, King Hrolf and his 12 berserkers are actually a thing within Norse mythology.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Getting close to the end of my Give Me God of War playthrough, and I think I can say that despite the game being more difficult than GoW '18 it is much more balanced. No absolute insane difficulty spikes, other than the Hateful fight the first time you get to Vanaheim.

Also, the Muspelheim trails are kinda weird in this game, and I actually had to look up what was going on with them. I did finish them though. Kinda disappointed the 99 enemy challange wasn't as intense as the '18 version.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Also, the Muspelheim trails are kinda weird in this game, and I actually had to look up what was going on with them. I did finish them though. Kinda disappointed the 99 enemy challange wasn't as intense as the '18 version.
Yeah that was a weird little arena and the combination you had to do felt repetitive. But it's short enough that you can bang in out in an hour or two so it's not that big of a deal.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

They’d have to tread very carefully depending on where they go, as in the more relevance in terms of beliefs the more backlash there would be.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

They’d have to tread very carefully depending on where they go, as in the more relevance in terms of beliefs the more backlash there would be.
It looks like they could go either Shintoism, Buddhism, or Hinduism. Santa Monica technically already used one creature from Hindu mythology: the Elephant Berserkers from Ascension. Funny thing is Asura's Wrath already covered all three. More so on the Shintoism and Buddhism end. I admit it would be nice going to either Egyptian Mythos or Hinduism. They can work as long as they're respectful to either one like they are with Norse. Hell, have some new playable characters related to that region and make them main characters. The possibilities are endless.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Getting close to the end of my Give Me God of War playthrough, and I think I can say that despite the game being more difficult than GoW '18 it is much more balanced. No absolute insane difficulty spikes, other than the Hateful fight the first time you get to Vanaheim.

I found the Sigrun fight in 18 way harder than either Hrolf or Gna in Ragnarok.
Weird because the fights with the berserkers generally felt pretty tough, maybe because I did quite a few on the way instead of waiting for post-game, which appears to have been the intention.
Not that I'm complaining. I don't remember any one boss being all that tough in the original games, even in the hardest difficulty settings, but then they weren't doing optional (ie. hard) stuff back then.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I found the Sigrun fight in 18 way harder than either Hrolf or Gna in Ragnarok.
Weird because the fights with the berserkers generally felt pretty tough, maybe because I did quite a few on the way instead of waiting for post-game, which appears to have been the intention.
My first time I beat Gna pretty quickly as well, but it was by going for just the spear with as little use of runic powers as I could. The thing that gets you is usually all the weapon switching and using runic attacks, which valkyries and berserkers have the tendency to power through. Also, Gna didn't seem as prone to using the 'VALHALLA' heel stomp, nor did she use the unblockable swooping attack. I did like fighting her more than Sigrun though, but maybe that's because she came after having fought all those berserkers, and valkyries are just way cooler to fight.
Not that I'm complaining. I don't remember any one boss being all that tough in the original games, even in the hardest difficulty settings, but then they weren't doing optional (ie. hard) stuff back then.
The dragon and Magi and Modi were less hard and more annoying on GMGoW. None of that with any of the Bosses in Ragnarok thankfully.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Also, Gna didn't seem as prone to using the 'VALHALLA' heel stomp, nor did she use the unblockable swooping attack.
Screw you man, that is all that stupid chick did to me. Stomp, grab, blinding flash, die die die. I spent two hours on Gna and only beat her because finally her ai stopped spaming unblockable bullshit.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The King was a joke compared to her, I only needed like three or four attempts to get the King down. Gna is such a pain in the dick. I hate her.....that's a lie her fight was fun, but bullshit sometimes.
I haven't even gotten to the King yet.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The King was a joke compared to her, I only needed like three or four attempts to get the King down. Gna is such a pain in the dick. I hate her.....that's a lie her fight was fun, but bullshit sometimes.
What difficulty are you playing on?
I haven't even gotten to the King yet.
He's not that different from the other berserker fights. Most people seem to agree Gna is way more difficult. Smaller windows to parry/evade.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
He's not that different from the other berserker fights. Most people seem to agree Gna is way more difficult. Smaller windows to parry/evade.
So far the duo berserkers are giving me the most pain. I hate that the guy has two virtually identical looking attacks; one being an insta-kill AoE covering the whole arena that you have to shield bash him out of, and the other being a yellow coded blast attack that's hard to parry due it having no real wind-up animation.