God of War Ragnarok Thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
One thing that bugged me a bit about 2018 GOW was that it didn't strike me as very Norse. There were hardly any jarls, vikings or mead halls to be found in Midgard, and both the temples of Tyr and Freyr seem weirdly high tech for the barbaric north.

To a large extend this game carries over that aspect of the setting. We still find ourselves in distinctly not Norse environments. Alfheim for instance is a desert, Vanaheim is a tropical rain forest and an arid plain, and Jotumheim doesn't much look like Scandinavian either. That said Asgard very much looks like how a Norse court should look, and Nievelior looks appropriately Norse as well.

Yeah, but OTOH it's mostly by design -

A lot of liberties were taken with the Greek setting too IIRC.

Reactions: Hades and BrawlMan

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
So they're never gonna patch that damned glitched dragon are they? Its been sitting there on a perch for nearly two weeks. Not noticing me, not taking damage when I attack it, not even spawning a health bar.

Two updates later and its still just impotently sitting there and occasionally flying through the floor.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So they're never gonna patch that damned glitched dragon are they? Its been sitting there on a perch for nearly two weeks. Not noticing me, not taking damage when I attack it, not even spawning a health bar.

Two updates later and its still just impotently sitting there and occasionally flying through the floor.
What dragon are you talking about?

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
What dragon are you talking about?
The one in the Vanaheim crater. It serves as an overworld hazard harassing you and occasionally flying back to its lair where you can kill it. But because in my file the dragon's immortal he never stops being an overworld hazard and keeps attacking me during all my sidequests there.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The one in the Vanaheim crater. It serves as an overworld hazard harassing you and occasionally flying back to its lair where you can kill it. But because in my file the dragon's immortal he never stops being an overworld hazard and keeps attacking me during all my sidequests there.
Because that's not where you kill it.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Because that's not where you kill it.
No I pretty sure I recall fighting the dragon there before he glitched. And that NPC you're supposed to save is hanging around in that area too. And several youtube videos show you indeed fighting the dragon there.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
No I pretty sure I recall fighting the dragon there before he glitched. And that NPC you're supposed to save is hanging around in that area too. And several youtube videos show you indeed fighting the dragon there.
Are you sure. IIRC you have to circle around and deal with that dragon later.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I went through this part a couple of days ago. You don't fight the dragon in the area where you rescue the NPC you're talking about. He's basically an environmental hazard for now. You fight him elsewhere, quite some time after saving the NPC.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I went through this part a couple of days ago. You don't fight the dragon in the area where you rescue the NPC you're talking about. He's basically an environmental hazard for now. You fight him elsewhere, quite some time after saving the NPC.
i'm pretty sure you two are talking about a different dragon because aside from the pre glitch dragon fight I had there, the video of how the quest is supposed to work shows you indeed fighting and killing the dragon at its lair near the npc

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Alright, finally got around beating the game.

I liked it a lot, but the ending felt a bit mediocre compared to earlier highlights.

On the one hand, I'm happy enough that netiher Kratos or Atreus has to die, that each gets a distinct yet satisfying ending, and that generally speaking the game signs out in an upbeat tone. I especially like the final reveal with the mural. I'm sick of the Kill Your Boomers narrative that permeates every legacy IP since Force Awakens. Also Boy of Dad wouldn't sell as hot as God of War 5 or Kratos Does Egypt or whatever they call the next one.

On the other, the ending felt a bit anticlimactic after such ponderous buildup. Kratos knows that he will die and everything he does goes to spending the time he's got left with his son. When Atreus finds out that Kratos is fated to die, everything he does goes to helping dad avoid said fate. And in the end Kratos simply... survives. There's no cleverness involved. No bait-and-switch or Macbeth-like "sike". They play out every part of the prophecy (even when desperately trying not to, like Kratos killing Heimdall) but when they get to the very end... Kratos simply doesn't die. Doesn't even get a fakeout death that might technically acknowledge the prophecy.

I loved the one twist. Did not see that coming at all. And it made me excited for the ending, but the game was out of surprises by the end. Would've loved something clever like that for the finale. As much as I enjoyed the characters and the story kept me hooked, the benchmark was set by that one twist.

Anyway, on to 100% this.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I'm gonna respond to u/Johnny Novgorod and get into spoiler territory.

Re: the "on the other" about the ending, I see where you're coming from and I'm guessing they did this in order to have a narrative reason for you to continue playing and doing all the side stuff.