God of War Ragnarok Thread

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
So far the duo berserkers are giving me the most pain. I hate that the guy has two virtually identical looking attacks; one being an insta-kill AoE covering the whole arena that you have to shield bash him out of, and the other being a yellow coded blast attack that's hard to parry due it having no real wind-up animation.
Yeah the dual fights are the worst. The game also seems to be actively working against you by not letting you target whoever you want without having to lock-on with R3, which I refuse to do because it's so limiting.

For shield bashing enemies out of AoE attacks (signalled by the two blue circles) it took me forever to figure out that I was supposed to be using the Onslaught Shield (forget which rond). Double tap L1 while running and Kratos will rush the target and stop the attack. Maybe this is Ragnarok 101 but I rarely changed shields during my playthrough so I missed out on this for quite a while.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah the dual fights are the worst. The game also seems to be actively working against you by not letting you target whoever you want without having to lock-on with R3, which I refuse to do because it's so limiting.
Any berserker fight that has more than one target I turn off the lock-on and the aim-assist. It fucks me up everytime.

For shield bashing enemies out of AoE attacks (signalled by the two blue circles) it took me forever to figure out that I was supposed to be using the Onslaught Shield (forget which rond). Double tap L1 while running and Kratos will rush the target and stop the attack. Maybe this is Ragnarok 101 but I rarely changed shields during my playthrough so I missed out on this for quite a while.
I use Wrath on Rage mode for those instances - Anytime a Boss is about to land a major hit I know I can't parry/evade I just activate it and it gets me out of trouble 99% of the time.

I've already talked about why the Noken are such a shit addition to the enemy rooster, but an extension of that is trying to get health crystals during specifically berserker fights. You ignore these guys for just a few seconds to run and try and get that health and you're pretty much fucked. This game really screams for a pommel or some other abilty that allows you to throw your axe at health crystals in order to heal yourself.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Milktoast opinion alert but I think one of the few flaws in Ragnarok is that its burdened by being a Tripple A game.

Things like the bosses, even the critically important ones like Odin being relatively easy, and your companions solving puzzles for you the moment you enter a room imply there was pressure to ensure no player would ever really struggle with the game.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Milktoast opinion alert but I think one of the few flaws in Ragnarok is that its burdened by being a Tripple A game.

Things like the bosses, even the critically important ones like Odin being relatively easy, and your companions solving puzzles for you the moment you enter a room imply there was pressure to ensure no player would ever really struggle with the game.
I think that's dependent on the difficulty the player chooses. Normal mode is pretty easy, but the higher difficulties are a struggle all the way through. So I don't know if this is strictly because it's a AAA game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No Honest Game Trailers. Atreus is way more fun to control than stealthing with Mary Jane. That is without a doubt, the shittiest video game hot take they've ever done on one of these things. Right down to the whole "playing the DMC games can lead you down to the dark path of anime." Who the hell are you even talking about or trying to offend here?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Odds are it more-so depends more on the platform holder’s guidelines for development. For instance, Elden Ring is probably considered a AAA game simply given GRRM’s involvement, but it wasn’t burdened by hand holding (although personally as far as hints go in Rag, there were quite a few times I was stumped on something like Nonir chests and no one said shit, but maybe it’s because it wasn’t specific to narrative progression). There’s also the oft discussed difference in design philosophy between east and west.

Anyways, I finally got to the big “reveal”, and my only question is how the fuck is Odin physically in two places at once all the time? Or did I miss a detail that he can like, astrally project himself in another form and location while his “true” self is elsewhere? Even then, how does he maintain cognitive awareness simultaneously and independently, when his mind already seems fully occupied whenever he’s with Atreus?

Also, he probably wouldn’t have even had to but could’ve easily killed everyone in the room after Kratos and Atreus left, so why didn’t he just warp back and grab the mask quick when he realized it got left behind?

As an aside, while I sympathize with Sindri, it sucks he’s holding it against Atreus so much. Also his reply to them all being fooled being, “Cleary some more than others” is kinda disingenuous, because why then didn’t he speak the fuck up about it sooner? I also thought maybe he was referring to Brok knowing something was up, but that was only to the extent of Tyr being a chump as he was still oblivious to him being an imposter.

Anyways, I dig Sutr so far. He has the kind of characterization that adds some levity and balance in the face of all the fucking drama of everyone else.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

Not on Give Me God of War they ain't. I'd say Ragnarok does a better job with its plot centric Boss fights compared to GoW '18.

Puzzle wise though, yeah...

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Anyways, I finally got to the big “reveal”, and my only question is
Its not so much that he's in two places at once. Its more that he hid one of his ravens in the broom closet so he can warp back and forth. I guess he's in Asgard while ''Tyr'' is sleeping in the broom closet.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Its not so much that he's in two places at once. Its more that he hid one of his ravens in the broom closet so he can warp back and forth. I guess he's in Asgard while ''Tyr'' is sleeping in the broom closet.

I’m over thinking it then. Because well, even if “Tyr” is only active when Odin isn’t in Asgard (which is literally all of his waking hours), surely someone in the room would’ve wondered at some point why they kept hearing a swarm ravens in a broom closet.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I’m over thinking it then. Because well, even if “Tyr” is only active when Odin isn’t in Asgard (which is literally all of his waking hours), surely someone in the room would’ve wondered at some point why they kept hearing a swarm ravens in a broom closet.
Most of the crew isn't really there all the time anyway. So it's possible that Tyr/odin just comes and goes when needed.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
So my brother got me this for Christmas and thanks to my internet being in a rare good mood, I was able to get it installed when I got home last Tuesday. I also came home with an epic hangover having spent Boxing day drinking into the early hours.

So, I start the game and after the wizz bang opening scene, boom, dead dog scene. Damn it game, right in the feelings.

But yeah, really liking this, which is not a surprise as I liked GOW'18. The game looks great and the combat feels a bit more fluid than the last game.

I just have one complaint. How does Kratos keep his beard looking so well groomed? I looked around his shack, he does not own a mirror. I suppose Brok or Sindri could double up as a barber. Or Boy could trim it for him, I guess without a mirror, Kratos wouldn't notice if Boy messed it up.

Also, I want to know what attracted Freya to Kratos in the first place when the man communicates in grunts and threats of violence. Was being a great warrior enough? There might be some lore I've forgotten,