God of War Ragnarok Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I got my copy. I traded in some games and a PS4 controller, so I would not have to pay anything. The GameStop clerk was "disappointed" that I got the PS4 version. I told him not everyone can get a PS5, and that I don't care much for graphics so long the game works. They have a special deal for trade-ins, but I didn't know nor have the time and money. Hence my other trades-ins. I am not running back and forth to get X amount of games, so I can trade-in for an overpriced console/console bundle. People like that need to fuck off and mind their own business, unless they're gonna pay for me. Another GS employee understood where I was coming from and thought what I did is smart. I am going to install now.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I am finally home and got about two hours into the game and i uh....have some issues.

The biggest issue is that, yes mimir and atreus tell you some obvious fucking hints about puzzles the second you encounter them. Giving you no chance to figure out the easy solution yourself. Why even have a puzzle then?

There does seem to be a design idea that they have to make sure DSP can get through the game. In fact a podcast i watch that shits on DSP was talking about how DSP plays this game and joked about the GDC panel that used DSP as a reference of player when playing the 2018 game. And it is really really sad. The worst thing a developer can do is assume their audience is stupid.

Secondly i have a problem with some of the new designs in how the engine and animations work. In the 2018 game when you hit an enemy with the axe, the blade would sort of stick into bad guys a little, which adding impact and power to the combat. In Rag the weapons just sort of slice through enemies weakly, the feeling of impact and power to your attacks feels gone. It is very noticable since ive just played the 2018 game.

This also translates to chests. In 2018 Kratos would punch through a chest and it would crunch and shatter and it felt cool and violent. In Rag there is no crunch, Kratos punches chests and it just kind of falls apart like tissue paper. It is less cool. Even the bigger chests dont feel as heavy when Kratos shoves open the lids.

Otherwise the game is good. The voice changes are a bit jarring and i need more time to adapt to puberty it seems.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am finally home and got about two hours into the game and i uh....have some issues.

The biggest issue is that, yes mimir and atreus tell you some obvious fucking hints about puzzles the second you encounter them. Giving you no chance to figure out the easy solution yourself. Why even have a puzzle then?

There does seem to be a design idea that they have to make sure DSP can get through the game. In fact a podcast i watch that shits on DSP was talking about how DSP plays this game and joked about the GDC panel that used DSP as a reference of player when playing the 2018 game. And it is really really sad. The worst thing a developer can do is assume their audience is stupid.

Secondly i have a problem with some of the new designs in how the engine and animations work. In the 2018 game when you hit an enemy with the axe, the blade would sort of stick into bad guys a little, which adding impact and power to the combat. In Rag the weapons just sort of slice through enemies weakly, the feeling of impact and power to your attacks feels gone. It is very noticable since ive just played the 2018 game.

This also translates to chests. In 2018 Kratos would punch through a chest and it would crunch and shatter and it felt cool and violent. In Rag there is no crunch, Kratos punches chests and it just kind of falls apart like tissue paper. It is less cool. Even the bigger chests dont feel as heavy when Kratos shoves open the lids.

Otherwise the game is good. The voice changes are a bit jarring and i need more time to adapt to puberty it seems.
I noticed some similar problems. I do admit most of the puzzles I was able to figure out before they could say anything, but they were one or two tricky ones for me so far.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I will say credit to the marketing team on this game, because almost everything in the trailers are things that happen within the first couple hours of the game. Which is nice because it means that the VAST majority of the game is a mystery to me, minus a couple things that obviously have to happen later on. Even the first really big boss was a surprise which was cool.

They really want to push enemy variety too, because I've fought more different shit in this first chunk of the game than was in the entire 2018 game.

Traversal is a little sad because there is still no jump button. However it is batter because there are now ways to grapple and swing around the battlefield via the blades of chaos which is a nice added touch that allows for some new options and more movement. What else I like is that things that were roadblocks in the first game (because you didn't have the blades) like the brambles you need fire to burn away, can now be burned away right away because you start with the blades. While all your shit is back to level 1, they do have a reasonable and joking way of explaining why your shit is weak again which I wont spoil if you haven't started the game yet. Sadly though, some attacks from 2018 have to be relearned in the exp tree and the trees themselves are not as expanded as I would have liked. Runic attacks make a return too but I've only gotten one so far because I'm so early.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
On a similar note -

My prediction is GoW will win GotT, and ER will win either Action/Adventure or Role Playing but not both.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Alright I'm not deep enough that I'm going to drop my impressions here and not bother opening another thread for it.

God of War Ragnarok is, well it's more of God of War 2018. Take the last game and just add more and you've basically got Ragnarok in a pinch. I'd say the biggest additions to Rag from the last game is well the expansions of the realms. In the last game Midgard was really the only realm with any real exploration to it while the other realms have some minor exploration but were really just smaller levels designed to push the story along. There were also a couple of side realms that were just special things that had no exploration but instead where combat challenge arenas.

In Rag all but one realm so far was highly explorable. Even returning to Alfhiem where the dark elves and light elves battled in the first game had more explorative areas. And I think this shift in level design has a lot to do with Kratos starting with the Blades of Chaos and the expansion of his traversal capabilities. The blades can now act as grappling hooks allowing Kratos to do his best Spider-Man impression by swing from shit and launching himself up walls. This movement expands not only the exploration but even most of the combat areas are multi-level. You can now also sprint off ledges and perform ground slam attacks on enemies below you if you want. They really expanded the shit you can do in the game.

Combat has also been expanded and I'd say it goes a little too far, because not only are there a bunch of unlockable attacks (most of which are you relearning shit you had in the last game) but there is a tier system now. Basically you have to use the attack several times to unlock different tiers of it's power. When you use it enough to finished the final tier you unlock slots on that skill where you can stick a rune or enchantment thing into the skill allowing it to do more damage, or increase stun or elemental value. Which is nice on paper, but considering you have to pull off the move like 50 times to unlock the slot by the time you actually get it, it wont make a difference in how you play. Except if you focus on the skill specifically to get the slot early, but I don't really feel that's worth it.

As far as the story goes, it's a natural step up from the last game and it does feel like the 2018 game is just continuing on the same way a second season of a show would be continuing on. It is really clever how the writers fix problems they've caused in the last game like breaking Tyr's temple. The temple is broken and therefore realm travel is locked, until it isn't. All your badass gear is gone and when asked what happened to it Kratos just says, "I used it." The powering down of your weapons is blamed on the apocalyptic winter that precedes Ragnarok so it's very arbitrary but it's fine, and it's nice that they even tried to explain the obvious questions away.

I think the greatest strength with the story in Rag is how they continue to surprise you. Like all the players in the story are known, Odin, Thor, Tyr, Mimir, Atreus, Freya, etc etc we all know where the build up is leading too, Spoilers it's in the fucking title, yet throughout the game you are constantly surprised by what you are doing next, where you're going, who you meet, all that shit. It's very cool.

There are some problems though, which I've mentioned in a previous post. Combat doesn't feel as impactful to me as the last game did, the weapon strikes don't feel as powerful as they did. Hell Kratos feels weaker when opening chests too, whether punching them or ripping lids open. They changed the sound effect and adjusted the animation and it does not feel as fun. Though it also feels faster which speeds exploration up so maybe that's the point? The lack of impact in the combat, and the overbloat of it feels like a negative, but it's a nitpicky negative. The other problem is the dialog during exploration, characters will tell you the answers to puzzles immediately like they're in a rush to get through the game and they aint got time for your dumbass to struggle on a puzzle. Just don't have puzzles then. Either let people figure shit out, or don't even have them if you think your players are stupid.

But the problems are really nitpicks more than anything and frankly it's really hard to find fault with the game to be honest. It's great, if there wasn't a Final Fantasy 7 game this year it would easily be GOTY. But as we know FF7 triumphs over all, no exceptions.....this was almost an exception though.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They changed the sound effect and adjusted the animation and it does not feel as fun.
I don't know why they couldn't just reuse the same sound effects, nor re-record them properly. They're able to reuse a bunch of other assets.
The other problem is the dialog during exploration, characters will tell you the answers to puzzles immediately like they're in a rush to get through the game and they aint got time for your dumbass to struggle on a puzzle. Just don't have puzzles then. Either let people figure shit out, or don't even have them if you think your players are stupid.
Bayo3 gets it's puzzles right. Some people complained about them (Dunkey), but no one's talking you nor a nagging you on how to solve the puzzle. They're usually not that hard to solve, and function similar to how the puzzles are in Viewtiful Joe. There is one tricky one, but if you pay attention to your environment, you can figure it out. Most of the puzzles work by, or give you an idea as soon as you get a new Demon Slave.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Alright I'm not deep enough that I'm going to drop my impressions here and not bother opening another thread for it.

God of War Ragnarok is, well it's more of God of War 2018. Take the last game and just add more and you've basically got Ragnarok in a pinch. I'd say the biggest additions to Rag from the last game is well the expansions of the realms. In the last game Midgard was really the only realm with any real exploration to it while the other realms have some minor exploration but were really just smaller levels designed to push the story along. There were also a couple of side realms that were just special things that had no exploration but instead where combat challenge arenas.

In Rag all but one realm so far was highly explorable. Even returning to Alfhiem where the dark elves and light elves battled in the first game had more explorative areas. And I think this shift in level design has a lot to do with Kratos starting with the Blades of Chaos and the expansion of his traversal capabilities. The blades can now act as grappling hooks allowing Kratos to do his best Spider-Man impression by swing from shit and launching himself up walls. This movement expands not only the exploration but even most of the combat areas are multi-level. You can now also sprint off ledges and perform ground slam attacks on enemies below you if you want. They really expanded the shit you can do in the game.

Combat has also been expanded and I'd say it goes a little too far, because not only are there a bunch of unlockable attacks (most of which are you relearning shit you had in the last game) but there is a tier system now. Basically you have to use the attack several times to unlock different tiers of it's power. When you use it enough to finished the final tier you unlock slots on that skill where you can stick a rune or enchantment thing into the skill allowing it to do more damage, or increase stun or elemental value. Which is nice on paper, but considering you have to pull off the move like 50 times to unlock the slot by the time you actually get it, it wont make a difference in how you play. Except if you focus on the skill specifically to get the slot early, but I don't really feel that's worth it.

As far as the story goes, it's a natural step up from the last game and it does feel like the 2018 game is just continuing on the same way a second season of a show would be continuing on. It is really clever how the writers fix problems they've caused in the last game like breaking Tyr's temple. The temple is broken and therefore realm travel is locked, until it isn't. All your badass gear is gone and when asked what happened to it Kratos just says, "I used it." The powering down of your weapons is blamed on the apocalyptic winter that precedes Ragnarok so it's very arbitrary but it's fine, and it's nice that they even tried to explain the obvious questions away.

I think the greatest strength with the story in Rag is how they continue to surprise you. Like all the players in the story are known, Odin, Thor, Tyr, Mimir, Atreus, Freya, etc etc we all know where the build up is leading too, Spoilers it's in the fucking title, yet throughout the game you are constantly surprised by what you are doing next, where you're going, who you meet, all that shit. It's very cool.

There are some problems though, which I've mentioned in a previous post. Combat doesn't feel as impactful to me as the last game did, the weapon strikes don't feel as powerful as they did. Hell Kratos feels weaker when opening chests too, whether punching them or ripping lids open. They changed the sound effect and adjusted the animation and it does not feel as fun. Though it also feels faster which speeds exploration up so maybe that's the point? The lack of impact in the combat, and the overbloat of it feels like a negative, but it's a nitpicky negative. The other problem is the dialog during exploration, characters will tell you the answers to puzzles immediately like they're in a rush to get through the game and they aint got time for your dumbass to struggle on a puzzle. Just don't have puzzles then. Either let people figure shit out, or don't even have them if you think your players are stupid.

But the problems are really nitpicks more than anything and frankly it's really hard to find fault with the game to be honest. It's great, if there wasn't a Final Fantasy 7 game this year it would easily be GOTY. But as we know FF7 triumphs over all, no exceptions.....this was almost an exception though.
I think it’s funny how FF7 is still getting different releases to spoil you with :)

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I think Ragnarok and Elden Ring are gonna split all the major awards and then Stray sweeps up the token indie noms.
Btw speaking of sweeping up, looks like trophies and post game content is fully available post-game -

The second playthrough sounds like they kinda pulled an RDR2 with conditional dialog for side missions.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod