God of War Review Thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Samtemdo8 said:
You know while you guys are still arguing with Ezekiel's opinions, I still haven't gotten the answer to my own question about 50 posts ago:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.1051678-God-of-War-Review-Thread?page=2#24233795
Answering those questions would result in spoiling the shit out the game. This new game is pretty stuffed with massive reveals.
I want to be spoiled, I don't have a PS4 at the moment.
You'll probably regret being spoiled if you ever plan on getting one, which if you're really looking for answers should be on your horizon. I can give the more spoiler-free answers for now though...

Samtemdo8 said:
So can anyone exaplain to me what the hell is going on with this story?

Why is Kratos in Norseland?
He destroyed Greece, and realizing what a monster he'd become, needed to distance and isolate himself as much as possible. North was the logical conclusion.

Why is Kratos even alive when he stabbed himself with the Blade of Olympus?
Well, he's a demigod. Beside's, he's been stabbed before with a bigger blade at least twice and lived.

What happened to Ghost Athena?
Not going there.

Am I to believe that the end of the World as shown in God of War 3 was a localized apocolypse?
Well again, he dismantled the Greek pantheon which destroyed their belief system, thereby giving the people fortunate (?) enough to survive the gift of free will. Hence Athena's comment, "But they won't know what to do with it!!" at the end of 3. Norse mythology was a geographically and chronologically distant belief system from the Greek one. There are other differences between the two which go far beyond that too, which is touched on in the new game.

Why does he have a Son now and who was Mama Kratos that birthed him?
Also not going there. Suffice to say even Kratos grew lonely enough to eventually seek a companion, even if it were hundreds of years later.

In the meantime, best to look into getting a PS4 if that doesn't satisfy your curiosities.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Samtemdo8 said:
You know while you guys are still arguing with Ezekiel's opinions, I still haven't gotten the answer to my own question about 50 posts ago:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.1051678-God-of-War-Review-Thread?page=2#24233795
Answering those questions would result in spoiling the shit out the game. This new game is pretty stuffed with massive reveals.
I want to be spoiled, I don't have a PS4 at the moment.
I'll give you the spoiler answers if Hansel's aren't good enough for you:

Why is Kratos in Norseland?
Pretty much the same answer as Hansel, he walked there after destroying Greece, mostly to escape his past, the game doesn't go really deep into it but makes it clear that while he feels some of the gods/people he killed were justified, a lot of it was not, he's basically full of regret for destroying Greece and acknowledges that he went too far in his search for revenge.

Why is Kratos even alive when he stabbed himself with the Blade of Olympus?

Also mostly same answer as Hansel, the guy has survived worse, and crawled out of the underworld twice at this point, the after credits scene in GoW 3 even shows a bloody trail on the ground demonstrating that he crawled away after stabbing himself

What happened to Ghost Athena?

She shows up as a hallucination at one point in the new game, it is unclear if she is actually there or if Kratos is merely imagining her, she basically taunts Kratos and he dismisses her to save his son. Otherwise what happened to ghost Athena is left up in the air.

Am I to believe that the end of the World as shown in God of War 3 was a localized apocolypse?

Basically, yes, that is what they expect you to believe, side quests in 4 make it clear that some Greek people sailed to Midgard from Greece and wrecked their ship in the lake of the nine, including a brief nod to the hydra from GoW 1, so the idea of multiple pantheons and multiple mortal/god realms is one that is not a big secret. There's also a scene at Tyr's temple later in the game that shows images of Egyptian, Mayan, and Japanese pantheons so each pantheon seems to govern its own area. The game also alludes to Mimir, a character you travel with through part of the game, being Puck, or a similar entity, from Celtic mythology. They alter the mythology around this, i.e. rather than Atlas holding up the whole world, he was holding up only a part of it, same for Norse Mythology, the World Serpent spans just Midgard rather than the whole world.

We are pretty much left to assume the apocalypse only happened in Greece, just like Ragnarok starting in this game will likely only effect Midgard and the realms ruled by Yggdrasil. Meaning the Mayan, Egyptian, and Japanese pantheons and mortal worlds will remain largely untouched.

Why does he have a Son now and who was Mama Kratos that birthed him?

Atreus mother is named Faye, they don't really go in to their relationship, like how they met or anything like that, as she is dead when the game starts. She is described as a compassionate warrior that used the axe Kratos uses in the game before she died. They have a son because I would imagine part of trying to bury his past would be to start a new family, also if you want ALL the spoilers, read below.

There's a lot of stuff about prophecy and the giants versus the Aesir gods of Norse mythology. In the end, it turns out that Faye is actually the giant Laufey, who would probably have found Kratos penchant for god killing a major turn on considering Thor and Odin basically murdered her whole race. Anyway, so the end reveals that the giants basically predicted the whole story of the game so part of it is Kratos and his son getting wrapped up in the prophecy of Ragnarok, with Kratos setting off Fimbulwinter, the pre-cursor to Ragnarok, 100 years early, which will likely be the impetus for all the Norse gods being pissed at him in the next game.
Also, in case the mother's name didn't answer this question, it's revealed that Kratos' wife originally wanted to name their son Loki, so Kratos' son is the god Loki in Norse mythology.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
tippy2k2 said:
So I wanted to get God of War as I'm hearing wonderful things but I have a few questions that I'm guessing people here can answer as it sounds like many have actually played it...

If I never played a God of War game, will that matter? I played most of the first game (never finished it) so I know most of Kratos' backstory with his family and what happened to them and why his skin is pasty white (or at least what was revealed in the first game). I have been under the assumption that I could but I don't want to try to Google around for that as I am a huge "Spoiler" hater. Speaking of. Is there anything from the previous three or four games (if you count that PSP game) that I should know to get max enjoyment?

So some asshat just threw out the spoiler that it turns out that Krato's son in the game is actually Loki. I am curious how much of that hurts the story. I am assuming a hell of a lot as it sounds like much of the game is the "bonding" or whatever between Kratos and kid (which because of this spoiler, renders all of that shit meaningless for me) but I was hoping maybe that happens soon or soon enough to only hurt the story a bit.

Could someone shed some light on how much that is going to affect the game for me? As stated above, I am a "spoilers ruin the story" kind of person but I'm really hoping that maybe it happens soon enough in the game that there is still a ton of enjoyment to be had or I am really really really hoping that it actually is not the case and doesn't happen that way and I got a "fake spoiler" so if that is the case, please don't go too much into detail about it and just say like..."it doesn't matter as much as you think it does you crazy person tippy2k2 you..."
You might already have the answer to this, but figured I would come back and answer this since I've beaten the game now and can actually answer your second question, I will try to keep it somewhat vague, but I am going to tell you when in the story the spoiler takes place:

Your question is kind of vague, I would need to know why you think it ruins the bonding, Atreus is Kratos' son, all the bonding is genuine as far as we know. Anyway you find that out in literally the final scene of the game before the credits role. I'll detail what that scene is as briefly as I can below.

If you are thinking it is some type of deception, like Kratos is being tricked by Loki, don't worry about that, Atreus is Kratos' kid, you find out that his mother wanted to name him Loki when he was born, anyway, trying to be vague here, let me know if you want me to go further.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
hanselthecaretaker said:
EternallyBored said:
In regards to how Kratos ended up in Norse mythology after destroying the Greek one, there's a lot of emphasis in this game on traveling between (non-geographical) realms. You later even see a wood craving of the god Tyr surrounded by stars with symbols of other mythologies in the corners, suggesting that the dude traveled through space and time, and that maybe these mythological realms exist seperate from eachother. And the theory now seems to be that Kratos actually is Tyr, or will become him.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
EternallyBored said:
In regards to how Kratos ended up in Norse mythology after destroying the Greek one, there's a lot of emphasis in this game on traveling between (non-geographical) realms. You later even see a wood craving of the god Tyr surrounded by stars with symbols of other mythologies in the corners, suggesting that the dude traveled through space and time, and that maybe these mythological realms exist seperate from eachother. And the theory now seems to be that Kratos actually is Tyr, or will become him.
While possible, the realm stuff is mostly within Yggdrasil, which has limits, and seems to be limited in area it covers the 9 realms and is not a universal entity that links pantheons/ other god's areas of influence.

There is a sidequest treasure map involving a mortal human mentioning sailing to Midgard from Greece after escaping from the hydra, presumably the same hydra from GoW based on the fact this is the same boat captain that makes brief appearances in all the main God of War games.

That of course just could be a nod to a returning character/ easter egg, but we've also got Mimir who indicates he came from outside Midgard as well despite not being a god. Tyr's travels seem to be remarked more for the fact that it's unusual for gods to travel to different areas rather than being solely within their own realm of influence. The unity stone may have given him access to other spiritual realms while the mortal realms could still be geographically linked.

Of course, it's not explicitly laid out, so you are right that Kratos may have had to pull some shenanigans to get to Midgard rather than just walking.

As for the Tyr theory, I don't buy it yet, they already have Kratos standing in as Farbauti, Loki's father, making him Tyr too seems like kind of a copout, we've already got time travel shenanigans with the World Serpent basically being foreshadowed as Atreus' future spawn/son?, so Kratos' grandkid.

Especially since Mimir has met Tyr, so having him enchanted to forget Baldur's parentage and weakness AND not recognize that Kratos looks like Tyr seems like it would undermine his character; a little too much plot convenient amnesia there. Also Tyr comes off as a little too idealistic to be Kratos, even with him softening up in this game I don't see him going full diplomacy with the other pantheons, especially as Tyr is dead in the present so it would unnecessarily complicate any future sequels that visit the other pantheons.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
EternallyBored said:
tippy2k2 said:
So I wanted to get God of War as I'm hearing wonderful things but I have a few questions that I'm guessing people here can answer as it sounds like many have actually played it...

If I never played a God of War game, will that matter? I played most of the first game (never finished it) so I know most of Kratos' backstory with his family and what happened to them and why his skin is pasty white (or at least what was revealed in the first game). I have been under the assumption that I could but I don't want to try to Google around for that as I am a huge "Spoiler" hater. Speaking of. Is there anything from the previous three or four games (if you count that PSP game) that I should know to get max enjoyment?

So some asshat just threw out the spoiler that it turns out that Krato's son in the game is actually Loki. I am curious how much of that hurts the story. I am assuming a hell of a lot as it sounds like much of the game is the "bonding" or whatever between Kratos and kid (which because of this spoiler, renders all of that shit meaningless for me) but I was hoping maybe that happens soon or soon enough to only hurt the story a bit.

Could someone shed some light on how much that is going to affect the game for me? As stated above, I am a "spoilers ruin the story" kind of person but I'm really hoping that maybe it happens soon enough in the game that there is still a ton of enjoyment to be had or I am really really really hoping that it actually is not the case and doesn't happen that way and I got a "fake spoiler" so if that is the case, please don't go too much into detail about it and just say like..."it doesn't matter as much as you think it does you crazy person tippy2k2 you..."
You might already have the answer to this, but figured I would come back and answer this since I've beaten the game now and can actually answer your second question, I will try to keep it somewhat vague, but I am going to tell you when in the story the spoiler takes place:

Your question is kind of vague, I would need to know why you think it ruins the bonding, Atreus is Kratos' son, all the bonding is genuine as far as we know. Anyway you find that out in literally the final scene of the game before the credits role. I'll detail what that scene is as briefly as I can below.

If you are thinking it is some type of deception, like Kratos is being tricked by Loki, don't worry about that, Atreus is Kratos' kid, you find out that his mother wanted to name him Loki when he was born, anyway, trying to be vague here, let me know if you want me to go further.
The beginning of your second paragraph was my understanding (so you can see how that would ruin it) so knowing that's not the case makes me stupid happy. Thank you for responding!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
EternallyBored said:
Kratos doesn't happen to lose a hand in the game does he? That'd be a pretty cool segway.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Johnny Novgorod said:
Casual Shinji said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
EternallyBored said:
Kratos doesn't happen to lose a hand in the game does he? That'd be a pretty cool segway.
No, he keeps all of his limbs attached.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
Ezekiel is banned?!

Ah man, first Inu-kun, now him?!

This forum is becoming less and less full of people I know :(
Hahahahaha! Ezekiel, one of the more thoughtful (albeit curmudgeonly) users on this site gets permabanned while B Cell is still allowed to traipse about willy nilly?

Yall got some weird priorities up in here hahahaha.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Ezekiel is banned?!

Inu-kun got banned?

I mean it's hardly surprising given certain opinions he had and how he acted, but I'm curious. What was the straw that broke the camel's back?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kitsune Hunter said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Ezekiel is banned?!

Inu-kun got banned?

I mean it's hardly surprising given certain opinions he had and how he acted, but I'm curious. What was the straw that broke the camel's back?
Zhukov was the straw that broke his back, and in Zontar's the Last Jedi thread:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1035906-How-could-Disney-redeem-itself-from-The-Last-Jedi?page=2#24191641

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
ZombieProof said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Ezekiel is banned?!

Hahahahaha! Ezekiel, one of the more thoughtful (albeit curmudgeonly) users on this site gets permabanned while B Cell is still allowed to traipse about willy nilly?

He got banned for far less than what goes on in WW. Why not make the whole forum play by the same (or no) rules?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
hanselthecaretaker said:
ZombieProof said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Ezekiel is banned?!

He got banned for far less than what goes on in WW. Why not make the whole forum play by the same (or no) rules?
What's WW?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
ZombieProof said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Ezekiel is banned?!

What's WW?

Wild West forum: the one so secret that it can?t even be accessed directly right now for some reason.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I'm a great portion through the game at this point and I still think the combat sucks. I'm tired of being nearly one-shot by stupid rock monsters that can only be hurt one way. The game relies far too much on gimmick enemies that are a chore to fight, rather than being fun. I understand the need to change up enemies so that you can't use the same fighting style every time, but those enemies shouldn't completely grind the combat to a stop while you hide behind sometime to chuck your axe at a weak point, or run around like a mad man trying to catch up to teleporting enemies. It's not fun, and it only serves to make me groan every time combat happens.

This is God of War, I should be eager to dive into the next fight, not preying that nothing tries to kill me around every corner.

Currently I'm stuck in a cave fighting in Ice Golem thing. The only way to hurt it is to hit the open chest with my axe. However when it opens the chest it shoots a Kamehameha wave into my face and one shots me. So...wtf am I supposed to do about that? Can't hide behind a pillar because then I cant throw my axe. Can't side step out of the pillar enough to throw the axe, because the golem simply sweeps the beam after me and I die. So really, how the fuck are you supposed to handle that shit?

It's really poor combat even if not compared to previous GoW games.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
ZombieProof said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Ezekiel is banned?!

I think he was more opinionated than thoughtful, criticizing at length games he hadn't even played. But yeah, shame to see him go.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
ZombieProof said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Ezekiel is banned?!

I think he was more opinionated than thoughtful, criticizing at length games he hadn't even played. But yeah, shame to see him go.
I often had run-ins with him because he would basically talk shit about every single game every brought up here. I don't think he actually liked gaming, and he seemed to base all his views on several youtubers who also simply shit on everything. And he didn't take it well when people called him out on his bullshit.

Sadly, I still hate to see him go. We have too few members remaining and moderation is too high imo to support a forum that is barely hanging on by Yahtzee's bootstraps as it is.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
ZombieProof said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Ezekiel is banned?!

We all criticize games we haven't played to an extent though. It's an impossible task to hold someone accountable for playing every videogame they post an opinion about on a forum, especially with the overwhelming amount of media available for which to make judgements. He was a contrarian sure, but not out of disrespect but because he sees the possibilities of where gaming as an artform can go without the restriction of big businesses ideology behind the scenes. I can understand his frustration.

Even with that, not once was he ever been disrespectful or guilty of shitposting. Any ire I've ever seen him express has come from people pushing his buttons, gang bangin him, and launching unnecessary snark his way.

Ezekiel was given a bad rap y'all, and I think it sucks.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
CritialGaming said:
I'm a great portion through the game at this point and I still think the combat sucks. I'm tired of being nearly one-shot by stupid rock monsters that can only be hurt one way. The game relies far too much on gimmick enemies that are a chore to fight, rather than being fun. I understand the need to change up enemies so that you can't use the same fighting style every time, but those enemies shouldn't completely grind the combat to a stop while you hide behind sometime to chuck your axe at a weak point, or run around like a mad man trying to catch up to teleporting enemies. It's not fun, and it only serves to make me groan every time combat happens.

This is God of War, I should be eager to dive into the next fight, not preying that nothing tries to kill me around every corner.

Currently I'm stuck in a cave fighting in Ice Golem thing. The only way to hurt it is to hit the open chest with my axe. However when it opens the chest it shoots a Kamehameha wave into my face and one shots me. So...wtf am I supposed to do about that? Can't hide behind a pillar because then I cant throw my axe. Can't side step out of the pillar enough to throw the axe, because the golem simply sweeps the beam after me and I die. So really, how the fuck are you supposed to handle that shit?

It's really poor combat even if not compared to previous GoW games.

Pretty sure there?s a few dozen videos on YouTube by now that would show you how to take them down. Really, it sounds like your mind was made up long ago before actually caring enough to learn the game, because the stuff you?re complaining about is completely playable. I think I even recorded my first encounter with a Soul Eater (rock dude) where the kid even tells you his weaknesses. I?ll post it later tonight if I have time.