Gods of Egypt Director Blames Critics For Box Office Failure

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
The Crow, Dark City, I robot, Knowing, This Shit. Yup, "descent into mediocrity" sounds about right.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Regardless of some point he might make, he contradicts his own opinion during his post.

How is it that, if he think critics are going the way of the dinosaur, they have enough power to turn his movie into a flop?

Also, his point is petty and transparent: people that give him a good review "are good reviewers that think by themselves and make their own opinions"; people that don't give him a good review "have no personal taste or opinion, because they are basing their views on the status quo... are less than worthless". There is no middle ground, no chance of someone disliking it due to his own opinion, or someone liking it due to other people's opinion.

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015

For real, nothing about the marketing of the movie was unique. Every line was generic action movie lines. Nothing grabbed my interest, and I would talk about the casting but that's a hornets nest I don't feel like kicking. Even if it was a simple turn off your brain blockbuster, nothing about it made me want to go see it, nothing looked fun.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
What I don't understand is, as he says, his old films bombed out as well, so how is he still getting big name actors like Butler? Shouldn't he be relegated back to minor leagues?

As a very off topic comment, this site usually gets shit for it's captchas but these new ones are awesome, just check a box to prove you are human? Not sure how it knows from a box check but I love it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I don't see why this guy is complaining. From my understanding this movie has all the makings of a cult classic that countless people will buy or at least rent just so they can laugh at how cheesy and bad it is.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah it is the critic's fault. They told everyone that it was crap and no one wanted to watch it.

Now the film maker needs to tell me why this is a bad thing.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
ravenshrike said:
Ukomba said:
I wish people would stop using identity politics arguments against movies, games, books, ext. It just muddies the water unnecessarily. The movies bad. Last Air Bender was bad. The end. The makeup of the movies is irrelevant.

Would perfect casting have saved either movie? No.
Hey now, that's going a bit far. Silly and hammy, sure, but nowhere NEAR TLAB bad.
Which? Gods of Egypt or Last Air Bender, because Last Air Bender is a very nearly the Godwin's Law for movies.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
MCerberus said:
He's gone full shyamalan. Never go full shyamalan.

Never the less, I have a counter theory for the good director: people are tired of CG wank without any new ideas that missed the boat of cultural relevance by... oh how long has it been since 300?
Shyamalan dissed critics?

Frequently.

OT: I'm not a fan of critics either. I always get aggravated when they fail to understand a film, or when they create misconceptions about a movie. Truly great films can't be truly understood until years after they come out. End of Evangellion was fiercely divisive when it was released, and it still is. What bothered me is how misunderstood it was. Similarly, Silent Hill 2 and Demon Soul's were released to fairly decent reviews, but most people didn't realize how genius they were. A truly groundbreaking piece of filme can receive very negative press, not because the work is bad, but because critics don't know how to respond to being challenged. New things are hard to defend, and easy to malign, especially if you don't understand how the film made you feel, or if it made you uncomfortable.

Unfortunately, this was not the case with God's of Egypt. It was simply bad. Bad directors tend to blame negative criticism for their failures. Great film makers typically send their work out, and let people form their own opinions. They rarely feel the need to grandstand. Maybe this guy can go join George Lucas in whatever bar he's sulking in right now.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
I watched Jupiter Ascending when it came to the cheap theater, and I'll probably see this the same way, mostly because I just like Dark City that much (even though Knowing rather sucked).

Jupiter Ascending was pretty bad, but its badness had such character and texture. It's like if you started with fresh, expensive gourmet ingredients and then bludgeoned them into a paste with a giant mallet. I would expect at least the same here.

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
Sad to see how Proyas has fallen since Dark City...

Fappy said:
I actually saw this atrocity. Ask me anything!
Did you lose a bet, to actually go to a theatre and see it?

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Fappy said:
I actually saw this atrocity. Ask me anything!
On a scale of 1-10, how high would you rate it as a "get shitfaced and laugh" movie, with 10 being the most entertainment value? Also, what would you say was the ratio of enjoyable cheese versus cringeworthy cheese in the movie?

OT: Wow, what a spectacular nail to punch into the coffin of this carcass of a movie. I haven't seen it, and I'm very not of the PolitCorrect crowd, but even I thought "what the hell were they thinking?" when they cast Nicolaj Coster-Waldau and Gerard Butler as egyptian gods. Had they cast egyptian, or even middle eastern people, they would have at least walked away with just the movie being a piece of shit, and without the added stain of whitewashing.

And $140 million went into this crap? What in the holy hell? The Oscar winner for visual effects was made with less than 20 million, and it had phenomenal effects. Every time we have a 90's style smothered-in-shitty-CG stinkbomb like this, I'm more and more astonished at how out of touch filmmakers and studios can still be.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
TL;DR, Director goes "My movie is completely perfect and utterly without flaws, and the only people who think otherwise are sheeple and those gross SJWs who don't think white people should play every role of any importance in any movie ever."

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
conmag9 said:
What quote, taken out of context, sounds the stupidest? Don't ask me why I want to know, it's for Science!
That would require me to actually remember any specific lines. It wasn't a very quotable movie, lol.

Random Gamer said:
Did you lose a bet, to actually go to a theatre and see it?
No, just peer pressured by a bunch of drunk people. I don't regret caving.

bartholen said:
On a scale of 1-10, how high would you rate it as a "get shitfaced and laugh" movie, with 10 being the most entertainment value? Also, what would you say was the ratio of enjoyable cheese versus cringeworthy cheese in the movie?
I'd probably give the movie an 8 by that metric. As for the ratio, I'd say it was 50:50. There was some truly legendary cheese in the movie, but I also cringed every time a CGI character appeared on screen.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Having only seen the trailer, the movie looks absolutely mundane and forgettable. At first I thought this movie was about Moses, but that's apparently some other movie.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
Makes sense to me, Mr. Director!
You make a shit movie and everyone's going to think it's shit. Make a less shit movie and people will think it's... less shit.
In short, don't blame people for seeing shit when all you've given them to see is shit. Just give them less shit to see if you don't want them to see shit.
Well, shit. Now I need to take a shit.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
bartholen said:
OT: Wow, what a spectacular nail to punch into the coffin of this carcass of a movie. I haven't seen it, and I'm very not of the PolitCorrect crowd, but even I thought "what the hell were they thinking?" when they cast Nicolaj Coster-Waldau and Gerard Butler as egyptian gods. Had they cast egyptian, or even middle eastern people, they would have at least walked away with just the movie being a piece of shit, and without the added stain of whitewashing.
I'll say the same thing that I said when Exodus: Gods and Kings bombed. black and Middle Eastern actors dodge a fucking bullet. If they casted them in this not only would they probably never act again but big Hollywood wigs would just blame that for its failure and be even more reluctant to cast them in the future. so I don't really mind.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I honestly feel bad for Butler, he was one of my favorite actors, but then he stood too close to Katherine Heigl and been wallowing in mediocrity ever since...