Gogogic CEO Says Single-Player is a "Gimmick"

Termagent

Sep 5, 2011
This guy is CEO of a company that doesn't even have a wikipedia page.

How sad really, I guess this is his attempt to get free publicity? Shame he's done nothing but anger a bunch of gamers really.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
You know, this guy can fuck right off. Hope his company falls through with that opinion.

EDIT: Yeah it's a bit harsh, but w/e - guy's just misinformed:p

Yostbeef

Apr 14, 2010
That picture and those statements make me want to punch this dude in his throat...I have anger management issues,I'm working on them though.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
Despite his theories on the beginnings of single player gaming the fact is, people like both and some like one play style more than the other. I like both. For me multi player gaming is like a virtual competitive sport i.e Killzone, Battlefield, Midnight Club etc. I also like to retreat from my social life and immerse myself in games like Fallout 3 or Deus Ex: HR. Others such as Dark Souls, Borderlands and Ninja Gaiden 2 are great at giving you the option to play with others or by yourself which is very clever. The conclusion is, this guy is a corporate douchebag despite how cool he may be on a personal level and is clearly pushing some bullshit philosophy to increase moneys in multi player circle jerks.

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
Antonsson said. "The first games were designed as multiplayer experiences,
Multiplayer.
Right.
Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Yeah, because people weren't playing tag or catch since the freaking Stone Age. Games existed before the Atari 2600, kids.

The amount of vitriol in this thread is astounding. And, for the most part, what this dude said was true. Games where originally invented as a social experience. Single player games are really just you playing against the computer instead of another human player out of necessity.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
DustyDrB said:
Everyone, join me in saying this: "Who?"
My thoughts exactly.
Of course, this man is entitled to his own opinion. But after googling his company and viewing the crap which they churn out, I wouldn't say that he was anyone with any standing.

THIS JUST IN; Some guy on the street who was pooping in a fountain just told me that 'games should be played whilst eating cheese and maple syrup'.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Quite an interesting statement, considering we occasionally get gems like Skyrim just sweeping the awards. If it's a gimmick, it certainly works. Better than most of the limp, passionless multiplayer knock-offs that's trying to do what Call of Duty is doing, only worse. Förgrymmade öbo där!

Groenteman

Mar 30, 2011
In other news: Homeless man says keyboards are "toiletpaper!"

Aka: this man has no credibility in the area of his claims. If he does not understand the value of single player, hes a lousy developer.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Hope he enjoys the 15 minutes of fame he gets from saying this mildly outrageous thing we have heard said before by other people who want attention.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
In a Sense it is as the content is watered down,over simplified. Has limited mostly linear content and is over priced(Hello Dishonored). MP/Online is in the same boat just most gamers are to busy fragging each other or playing as girls to give a damn.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
BiscuitWheels said:
JesterRaiin said:
Antonsson said. "The first games were designed as multiplayer experiences,
Multiplayer.
Right.
Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Yeah, because people weren't playing tag or catch since the freaking Stone Age. Games existed before the Atari 2600, kids.

The amount of vitriol in this thread is astounding. And, for the most part, what this dude said was true. Games where originally invented as a social experience. Single player games are really just you playing against the computer instead of another human player out of necessity.
Those games also didn't use a computer are you gonna argue video games are just a fad? The guys whole argument is flawed, how can anyone take the notion of how it started as the only way it should stay seriously?

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Who is this social game developping person that hasn't heard of Burnout 3, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 2, Bioshock, Driver San Francisco, Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Mass Effect 2, Batman Arkham City, Batman Arkham Asylum, Tetris, Super Mario, Final Fantasy, Diablo II, Torchlight 2, Burnout Paradise, Dishonored, Castlevania Symphony Of The Night, Psychonauts, Brutal Legend, Metal Gear Solid, God Of War, Portal, Devil May Cry, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro The Dragon, Rayman, Metroid Prime, Super Metroid, The Legend Of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Silent Hill 2, Amnesia The Dark Descent, Persona 4, Journey, Shadow Of The Colossus, Ico, Jak And Daxter, Need For Speed Underground, Need For Speed Most Wanted ?

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Bernzz said:
Yeah okay. Have fun convincing Bethesda that single player is a gimmick and nothing more.
You mean the company that is taking their historically single player franchise and making an MMO out of it?

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
I think he might have a point, even if he doesn't realize it. Think about it, all AI is is another person that has been made to play with. Almost every single player game has some sort of AI or something that represents another person to play with.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Well then, screw you, too.
I bet he hates it when people read books on their own, also.

webepoop said:
I think he might have a point, even if he doesn't realize it. Think about it, all AI is is another person that has been made to play with. Almost every single player game has some sort of AI or something that represents another person to play with.
More often than not, it represents another person or persons to play against.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Yeah... right...

The thing is... most people that play MP games are usually asshole that I dont care to associate with. Now, of course not all MP gamers are assholes, Ive played games with other people often enough to know this. But likewise, Ive played enough mp games to know that yes, there are assholes that play these games, and make my experience of playing these games worse for it.

Of... wait, he makes social games... well fuck his opinion all the same.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Antonsson fails to realize that for most people, gaming is a distraction. It's hard to be distracted when you're stuck with guys who take what is very much entertainment so seriously as to throw fits when you deny them a kill.

I play single-player mostly to avoid that kind of annoyance. I'd much rather share stories about my playthrough of Game X than endure joining a game that's crawling with pubbers I don't know from Adam.

The one exception is when I play with very good friends I've known for years on end. I don't mind multiplayer in this case, because we'll just laugh at each other's failures and help one another out.