Going into Highschool

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
Don't bother with prom/semi formal type things unless you already have a girlfriend beforehand. Your friends will most likely be off doing something else with other friends, and the entire experience is mediocre if you have no one to enjoy it with.

Get a job as soon as you're able. You'll meet new people, which is always a plus. Don't worry about not being able to hang out with friends (they'll be too busy to hang out anyways), or not having time to finish homework (grades aren't that important, as long as you don't fail anything). Also, down-time during jobs (like if you're a cashier and no one's in line to buy anything) is a good time for conversation with co-workers/friends.

Take a co-op class if/once you can. Makes your resume look good.

UltimateHorseradish

Apr 27, 2010
Not to be stereotypical, but I think I was was too high to remember my high school days. Oh well, back to being a semi-successful musician.

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
SugarMama said:
aruseusx said:
SugarMama said:
Worst high-school experience: being raped on campus. Beware boarding-school.
Ahh yr9 shower rooms. Its irony that I can now rape my rapee. I should call him.
Oh, that's cool. Make fun of the most traumatic experience of my entire life. Thanks, you're a peach.
I wasn't making fun. More reminising my traumatic experience.

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
My best bit of advice is, don't be afraid to be yourself. It might seem daunting, but regardless of who you are, you will find a close friend if you just be yourself, and don't try to act like someone else.

Quid Plura

Apr 27, 2010
I'm a teacher in the Dutch equivalent of high school. It's not as bad as everyone tells you, they do that so you behave in your first year, which you forget after two weeks. A lot of students have to adept to being the youngest ones again though. The hierarchy is still based on your age/class, and you're the youngest one again.

The best advice I can give you is to just be yourself, make some friends, stick with them and do a lot of stupid things. (I once climbed the roof of the gym with some friends, a deck of cards and 3 crates of beer)

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Honestly, there's really nothing to be worried about... at least not at my school. I will graduate tomorrow, and I didn't have much in the area of worries. Although, I would highly recommend taking some sport or being in a club. That's really my only regret. If I had done that, I could have gotten into West Point...*sigh*.
But yeah, don't worry.
On a related note, I actually made a thread seeking college advice a month ago. Fitting, I suppose, that I should comment in this one.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Quid Plura said:
I'm a teacher in the Dutch equivalent of high school. It's not as bad as everyone tells you, they do that so you behave in your first year, which you forget after two weeks. A lot of students have to adept to being the youngest ones again though. The hierarchy is still based on your age/class, and you're the youngest one again.

The best advice I can give you is to just be yourself, make some friends, stick with them and do a lot of stupid things. (I once climbed the roof of the gym with some friends, a deck of cards and 3 crates of beer)
I' am also a teacher and I thought this comment was Hilarious, cannot think of a better way to demonstrate the stereotype that all Dutch people just want to have a good time lol so good job, "LETS PARTY!"

You are right though; Kids want to grow up fast but should just enjoy it while they can. Have a good time and make friends. Just don't take any crap off people, every year there a few kids who think it?s cool to be dicks (yes even us teachers think so lol). They may expect you to cover for them or take the blame for something they did, don't. Once you leave school you will most likely never see these people ever again. In fact that?s the case for most people you knew at school with the exception of very close friends.

Lastly, don't let all the horror stories worry you, there mostly just rumours to scare new pupils such as yourself.

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
SugarMama said:
aruseusx said:
I wasn't making fun. More reminising my traumatic experience.
Oh. Then I'm sorry for my complete misinterpretation. My bad. :-/
Dont have to, since I was more dry humped than actual pentration. Stop dwelling on this aruseusx dammit.

Vorpals

Oct 13, 2008
I just finished my freshman (1st year or 9th grade) of high school, and I absolutely loved it. Then again, my social life consisted of my extracurricular activity and I liked most of my classes, so take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt.

Dapsen

Nov 9, 2008
*Sigh* In Soviet Russia, High School is Going Into YOU.

In Denmark, we don't run the same school system, so I don't know exactly when I can classify myself as 'high school kid'.
Also, I can't tell you anything about the experience, because of the same reason.

UnwishedGunz

Apr 24, 2009
ahh highschool...as a freshmen people will try to take advantage of you...let them or you'll get beat up (depending on what school you go to)

Best Year: i asked this one girl i really liked out on a date and he accepted it, we went to the movies to watch "the blind side" (her choice) after the movie i walked her to her house and it turns out her parents were gone all night one thing led to another...sex!

Worst Year: i got into a fight trying to defend my friend whos gay (yes i have a gay friend) i fought off 2 out of 3 guys but then the 3rd hit me in the gut with his bag and my head hit the wall, my skull was cracked

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Hahahuh...seriously I can barely remember high school (and I'm Australian so that's year 7-12), so it can't be all bad. Not as awesome as university can be though...

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
Its boring and everything they told you it would be, it is not, think Primary School but every 70 minutes you have to go to a different building, also, people are fucking eachother. Enjoy!

benoitowns

Oct 18, 2009
There are just soooooo many idiots. I mean, you think you understand, I think I understand, but I am and will forever remain constantly surprised by the blantant stupiditiy of some almost all people.