Good book to film transfers. EDIT: to include a list.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Struck21 said:
Im gonna beat this dead horse a bit more and say, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T MAKE A MOVIE FROM THIS!

Anyone who TRIES to make a movie, and game from this pinnacle of book series, will do nothing more then piss me off and force me to murder more film studio excs. They will no justice to book and rip the story up much, that I will walk out of the movie, example being latest Hitchikers Guide movie, and cry for days hoping the master copies of the movie get burnt up in a convent fire at their studios.

Eragon, run of the mill and nothing special book. They took it and made a movie that by all definitions, was horse shite. Give up on making fantasy books into movies, you will phail and ruin a great book by idiots who cant read running around saying it was awesome and the book sucked.
Good point. It is such a long series, the only way they'd make it into a film is if they completely annihilated the story. I'm 'suade now. It should not ever be made into a film. 'though I'm pretty sure they're making an MMO based on the world.

Batarang

Nov 25, 2008
I thought V for Vendetta as a movie was better than the book. That's all I can think of now since I had talked to a friend about it recently. That and a lot of books I've read either don't get movie deals or I just havent watched them.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
Fiskmasen said:
My favourite book-to-film adaptation (hell, it's one of my favourite books/films of all time) is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120669/], based of the book [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_and_Loathing_in_Las_Vegas_(novel)] Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream written by Hunter S. Thompson [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_S._Thompson].

To me a good film-adaptation of a book (or any other source material) shouldn't just be a faithful adaptation, it should also be the directors own take on the book, he or she should be comfortable with the material; it should mean something to him or her. Have some heart.
Yeah, I thought One Flew Over the Cucoos nest was awesome both film and book, but it shows you they are both completely different but still amazing

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
hmm i'd have to say

lord of the rings
fight club
fear and loathing (probly the best one, i don't think they really cut much)
stardust
the first couple harry potters are pretty close to the books
the man who would be king, although the movie expands a lot on the book

i'd say american psycho but they cut a lot out of it and same goes for rules of attraction

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Fight Club is a book?
Chuck Palahniuk. Check him out he's a great writer. Choke [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1024715/] has also been adapted but I haven't seen that yet.
TheBadass said:
The film of Fight Club was even better than the book.

Yeah, I said it.
That's what I said in the OP. I did read the book after the film though so maybe that could have changed my opinion. You? Book or Film first?

Ganado_Headshot

Jan 13, 2009
The Lord of The Rings didn't capture nearly as much of the epic as the books portrayed but it was still a great recreation.

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
MrGFunk said:
That's what I said in the OP. I did read the book after the film though so maybe that could have changed my opinion. You? Book or Film first?
Heh, film, so that probably skewed my opinion too. I just prefer the overall narrative focus in the film. It's not quite so bogged down by the Narrator, who frankly bored me in the book. Ed Norton was awesome, however.

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
Fight Club
Lord Of The Rings
Trainspotting
A Clockwork Orange

All very good films in their own right.

Struck21

Feb 28, 2009
I will toss this one out there cause it a complete guilty pleasure movie that every time I watch, I have to read the book to get the taste out of my mouth, but I love the movie:

Starship Troopers

Bad Ones:

Sword of Truth (TV series)- completely ripped off from Wheel of Time but series where trash compared to the books.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy- Newer one, not the BBC gem. walked out of the movie

Battlefield Earth

Comic Book Movies:

Spiderman 2&3

X-men 2&3

Daredevil

Electra

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
MrGFunk said:
Choke [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1024715/] has also been adapted but I haven't seen that yet.
it's a pretty good movie, haven't read the book but the movie is pretty darn funny. also Chuck makes an appearance in the movie at the very end

want to read the book now

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Both The Mist and The Shawshank redemption are excellent adaptions of Stephen Kings short stories. The Shining was pretty good as well, even though it was very different from the book.