Good book to film transfers. EDIT: to include a list.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Interview with the Vampire = good.
Queen of the damned = horrid.
Mary Reilly = better than the book.
Bad Seed = Great until they changed the ending.

darthsmily

Feb 21, 2008
Dr. Strangelove is an awesome adaptation. If you didn't know, Kubrick based it off of a novel called "Red Alert".

Aschenkatza

Jan 14, 2009
The Color Purple is amazing. Great book and great movie.
Incidentally, Great Musical too.
Edit: However, while I do enjoy the Harry Potter movies [I laugh my head off every time], I do feel cheated a little when I watch them and know they changed major things... it can't be helped sadly..

ADDLibrarian

May 25, 2008
Deleted mini rant about Clockwork Orange not including last chapter, but still being kickass movie because someone already covered it.

I'll add that while Secret Life of Bees was an "eh" movie, it did the book pretty faithfully.

The Great Gatsby starring Robert Redford was pretty good: a good supplement for the class to watch while teacher grades tests. ^^

Coraline got the general feel of the story, but added bit parts for transitions like Wybey and had a few other differences that made me twitch slightly.

300 was a great one, and I'm looking forward to Watchmen

Oh and I've heard that "First Blood" the book that Rambo is based of is very good. I have yet to dig into that one. I just forced myself to finish Twilight and am looking forward to making fun of the movie with my friend over the weekend.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
I though A Scanner Darkly was a brilliant adaptation. The rotoscoping really gave it the feel of the book.

Aschenkatza

Jan 14, 2009
TheLoveRat said:
vamp rocks said:
i have heard twilight made a good movie, i just finnished the book so now i want to go see the film
Sorry, but are you a girl!
Dude, it was a good movie. I never read the books, but I did enjoy it. Specially the fact that the main vampire is from the Harry Potter series
Cedric Diggory[ AKA Robert Pattinson], we meet him in book 4 and he dies in book 4
. The best part was when I couldn't stop laughing. It's a nice movie to watch with a buddy, hilarious at moments =P

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
mark_n_b said:
Ghost World? srsly?

Watchmen? Bandwagon jumping is fun. If you were a twelve year old girl instead of a gamer fanboy you would say twilight and wonder how anyone could stand that gross stupid watchmen movie.

Field of Dreams, seeing as how the film was better than the book by most critical accounts. How about Dr. Zhivago, Christmas Carol, Ben Hur? Or are we only thinking nerd faves?

I'm not sure list threads are favored on these forums though.
I was just listing other suggestions. I haven't see Twilight.
Field of Dreams is well good.

Should I take the list out of the first post?
I thought it would be good to have it for a reference for people who want good book adaptations. At least to warn them not to watch The Beach. So bad.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Bebopcola2021 said:
Deleted mini rant about Clockwork Orange not including last chapter, but still being kickass movie because someone already covered it.
yeah it's cause Kubrick had the american version of the book, which excluded the last chapter. which really is the most important chapter of the book

he was pissed at that fact too

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
Aschenkatza said:
TheLoveRat said:
vamp rocks said:
i have heard twilight made a good movie, i just finnished the book so now i want to go see the film
Sorry, but are you a girl!
Dude, it was a good movie. I never read the books, but I did enjoy it. Specially the fact that the main vampire is from the Harry Potter series
Cedric Diggory[ AKA Robert Pattinson], we meet him in book 4 and he dies in book 4
. The best part was when I couldn't stop laughing. It's a nice movie to watch with a buddy, hilarious at moments =P
I know the guy that made the original comment, it was a personal joke, just making fun of an old friend!

thehoff

Aug 3, 2008
I'd have to go for LOTR but thats already in the list, can't think of any others at the moment.

Audemas

Aug 12, 2008
Jaws was a great book and an even better movie and is one of my top 5 movies ever.

CapnGod

Sep 6, 2008
Wait, I was looking thwough the list of good as accepted by replies and saw Bourne. Ok, did anyone READ Bourne? It was, you know, completely different. That's not to say I didn't like the movies, I'm just saying that they... differ.

Jul 9, 2008
The best I've ever experienced was Children of Men, in that I actually preferred the movie, as opposed to the usual sentiment "not as good as the book, but okay".