Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
IBlackKiteI said:
Glamorgan said:
Kurokami said:
Glamorgan said:
Ever heard of Kya: Dark Lineage?

No, I didn't think so. Well, it was a great game for the PS2, but it could have been so much better. If they had fixed up the issues in a sequel, it would have been amazing.
Hmmm, seen that around several times but I always thought it looked unimpressive. Care to sell it to me? (Tell me the good features, why it's good, etc. I could look it up, but I figure someone who's endorsing it would be able to do a better job)
Uh... okay. It looks incredibly lame from the outside, but it's a really great game.

Okay. Because I happen to be rather tired, I'm going to copy paste from Wikipedia.
<spoiler=General Gameplay>Kya: Dark Lineage focuses on action-adventure platforming gameplay, with the player guiding Kya through a variety of stages. During the game the player can earn nooties, allowing them to return to the Nativ city to purchase items required to progress through the game. The player can purchase several items which allow Kya to increase her mobility, including the ability to climb slippery surfaces, perform wall jumps or ride fast-moving lizards called Jamguts. Whenever the player suffers damage, Kya can recover energy by draining it from big amber shards.

The game focuses strongly on the element of air, featuring various sequences in which Kya must use strong wind currents to her advantage (although these can also prove to be a disturbance in certain points). It also features several freefall sequences during which the player must control Kya's speed and the direction of her descent, which usually ends when Kya lands on a big flower called Amortos, serving as an air bag. The player will suffer damage by touching objects while freefalling, or instantly lose a life by landing on the ground (at which point the freefall sequence will be restarted).

Complementing the player's mobility is Kya's "Boomy", a magical boomerang-like weapon which allows Kya to cut ropes and attack enemies. The Boomy can be upgraded twice in the Nativ city, first allowing the player to aim it in a first-person perspective (Silver Boomy) and later (Golden Boomy), which allows the player to activate switches or attack normally unreachable foes. The player can also purchase explosive or electrifying bombs to damage foes. Additionally, there are purchasable traps that can be used to capture rare monsters for the Nativ zoo.
Puzzles, which often rely on items or creatures within the immediate environment to solve, are another part of the game. Other puzzles might require creative use of Kya's mobility or even use of her fully-upgraded Boomy's ability to be directed as the player wishes. Some may only be solved when the player has acquired the correct equipment for Kya from Nativ City.

Beyond the beginning portion of the game the player's advancement is based on three factors: The equipment they have purchased, the number of Wolfen/Wolfun Kya has turned back into Nativs and ultimately, the collection of all seven Runes. A total of 260 Nativs can be rescued throughout the course of the game, though the player is not required to rescue them all in order to confront Brazul and complete the game.

A highly praised hand-to-hand combat system which is very similar to modern brawlers is included, during which Kya is unable to use her ranged weapons and must instead engage her foes in melee with punches, kicks and throws. The player will engage in this form of combat whenever a Wolfen/Wolfun is near. Players start with only a few simple moves Kya learns from Akasa, though players can acquire more powerful bracelets in Nativ shops which increase the strength of Kya's attacks and allow her to use a greater variety of combat moves, such as grabbing Wolfen/Wolfun by their tails and spinning them around, or even riding on top of them to ram against others. Whenever a Wolfen/Wolfun is knocked unconscious, the player can exorcize it back into its original Nativ form, assuming Kya has enough Mana spheres.

Further adding to the diversity of the game are Magic Boards which allow Kya to rapidly descend across rocky or otherwise treacherous terrain. These sequences greatly resemble snowboarding games, though Kya initially is forced to simply slide down slippery areas on her feet. Later sequences require players to initially purchase and then upgrade Kya's magic board so that she can gain the ability to jump or rapidly increase her speed.

TL;DR, just read it. You asked a question, and I'm too lazy to answer it in short form. Let's not have TWO lazy nerds. The story and voice acting aren't really that impressive, but it's an incredibly fun game. I recommend you check it out sometime. If you can find it...
Ahh yeah I remember Kya.

Damn awesome game, really under appreciated.
I love you. I also enjoyed Mirror's Edge.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Glamorgan said:

No, I didn't think so. Well, it was a great game for the PS2, but it could have been so much better. If they had fixed up the issues in a sequel, it would have been amazing.
I remember it too,(It freaked me out the 1st time I played it when the opening had Kya speaking of screen saying"... Frank? .... Frank are you there?" [Guess what my name is heh.]Since the manual didn't mention her having a brother.)Did your copy let you caputre creatures for that study/zoo/farm for the Wolf-folk?(Thier name escapes me.) It was one of the issues with my copy but the game had wonderful unearthly sceenery and clever explanations as to why Kya knows how to do the things she could do. Also closure on the ending after the rift opened would just be fantasic.

CleverCover said:
Does Beyond Good and Evil count?
Because I'm still waiting for that one...
I don't think it counts at the moment while there are talks of a Beyond Good and Evil 2 being made by Ubisoft over the past few years though If that gets cancels it can unfortunetly get put back on the list of sequalless games.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
woots7 said:
If you have a DS then thiers Okamiden http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Ckamiden

I'm not particularly happy about it either.

Azaraxzealot said:
brutal legend
Doesn't Burtal Legend have closure though?

TRR

Jul 21, 2008
newwiseman said:
Truth is I own Legend of Dragoon and have never replayed it, I was by a wide margin the most linear RPG I ever played before Final Fantasy 13, and simultaneously the reason the rotors burnt out on my controller.

Still, My GF in middle school was fine with me playing it, so long as she held the controller during the transformations, what fond memories.
Guess you didn't notice the thing in the option menu that let you turn off the transformations?

OT: Legend of Dragoon (of course)
I don't think I've put more time into any other game, oddly enough I've never beaten it. Though based on the story I'm pretty sure that's impossible, it would have to be a prequel, like based around the dragon campaign.

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
Knights of the old republic

NO....NO I refuse to acknowledge the existence of KOTOR 2 as a sequel to that game.

Vivace-Vivian

Apr 6, 2010
Glamorgan said:
Right here! I know of it. My sister played the crap out of it.

I'd have to say Dreamfall : Longest Journey. That game didn't just deserve a sequel, it NEEDED one.

I would also like them to make another Saints Row with a ladeh option, and Jade Empire.

baka52

Sep 13, 2010
Iron Glorfindel said:
baka52 said:
dark cloud 2...anyone?
I thought it had one. I believe it was cel-shaded and went by the name "Dark Chronicle". Or are you asking for a third one? If so, my mistake.
it the north american title for dark chronicle

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
I could bring up an old favorite of mine, but i'm afraid. This is an FPS. A good FPS that has no sequel. I'm afraid that if i mention it, a sequel will come out that will go the way of BioShock 2 and totally fuck the franchise for me.
...no. I don't have anything to add here. Certainly not a first person shooter where you control a ghost who can control other peoples bodies.

OptimisticPessimist

Nov 15, 2010
Jandau said:
Stuff that I'd like to see more of?

Vampire: Bloodlines
Planescape: Torment (not a direct sequel, but rather more Planescape games)
Jade Empire
Finally, someone else mentions Jade Empire. I've head rumors about a sequel on and off for years, but I don't think Bioware ever committed to it.

Everin

Apr 15, 2009
OMG Stars Wars: Republic Commando should have had a series, but then again there was a book series written about it that told a much larger far reaching story that tied in with the game perfectly. Check out the book series, cause it made me wanna play Republic Commando again with all the new stuff from the books added in. The book series was the sequel this game was looking for. :)

Enamour

Nov 30, 2010
Jandau said:
Stuff that I'd like to see more of?

Vampire: Bloodlines
Planescape: Torment (not a direct sequel, but rather more Planescape games)
Jade Empire
Bloodlines!!!

I'm going to differ slightly on the Planescape thing. Planescape was never fully completed... time and money kept it back and prevented the full realization. There are some mods that unlock hidden content that the developers hid away to keep the whole thing sensical. But at the end of the day Planescape is unfinished with alot of intended content that's simply not present. I want to read Fall-From-Grace's Diary!!!

Bottom line is that I'd say they should re-release Planescape but get as many of the original Torment people as possible to finish it and maybe add a few more thingies that they weren't able to in the first place.

I've been playing the game roughly once(sometimes twice) a year since it was released in 1999 just to be able to experience the entire narrative again and everytime there's some new and little intriguing piece of the game one had missed.
I'm actually planning to do my thesis on Planescape as a narrative by presenting it as ONE OF THE best narratives in human history. Initially I wanted to go for THE BEST but that claim is a little all encompassing to be taken at face value; a little too ambitious.

But, during my studies I've read the best of 19th and early 20th century Russian literature, which as a genre is mostly the best shit ever written... then Lenin died and Stalin F'd everything up for everyone. Also some of the best Ancient Greek, Victorian, English classics, Roman and sadly Christian literature(fear and loathe Eusebius and Lactantius) etc. and I have to say that Planescape as a complete narrative in my mind is by far the best experience I've ever had bar none(movies and other media included). There are MANY deep philosophical, moral, temporal, ethical and even theological issues raised in the game that if considered carefully could completely change the nature of a man(hurr hurr), but seriously. Give this to someone and tell him to complete each and every side-quest and read every line of text in Planescape and you'll have a much MUCH MUCH richer and older soul coming out at the other end.

I think Extra Credits did the "games as people enriching" bit with Mass Effect 2 and the ethical implications of reprogramming the core convictions of an entire demographic. Personally I remember Mass Effect 2 as "that light game that was pretty fun" because, I think, on some level I'm comparing everything I read or watch to Planescape's narrative.

I can go on forever but no, not a sequel, just complete the experience. Planescape is literary, visual and audial(sp?) ART!!!