Good Riddance, Fred Phelps: 5 Pivotal Moments For LGBTs In Comics

LiMaSaRe

Mar 6, 2012
RossaLincoln said:
I swear I don't mean to offend
In the future, when you want to avoid offense, I'd recommend not saying good riddance of a man whose corpse is barely cold.
If the Westboro Baptists are most famous for disrespecting funerals, then you have quite deliberately set yourself on the same moral level.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
earnestp said:
I say we should celebrate his death EVERY YEAR, and we should do it by celebrating the ways in which our society has become more tolerant. Make this post the first of such celebrations.
You do realize that in doing so you'd be carrying on his legacy of hate by giving the WBC a yearly dose of attention. Attention that would lead to people hearing their hate.

So you'd be helping their cause in essence.

Bravo, you've found me another reason why celebrating someone's death is asinine.

Edit:
First, no amount of good work that Phelps did early in his life mitigates the work that he did later.
Tell that to the people who's lives he saved by representing them in the Jim Crow era when no one else would. It's not about mitigating the mans works. It's about looking at his life as a whole.

TAGM

Dec 16, 2008
The irony of it all: One of the first times I've seen LGBTs in comics discussed here in any sort of positive light, and it's ultimately only done so you - and I suppose all of us as well, considering the comments - can do a metaphorical fandango on someone's grave while the body is still warm enough.

I mean, as much as I disagreed with his opinions and such, I can't help but keep thinking that he's a human being. I'm not asking that we all suddenly morn him as if he's a great man, but we don't all need to line up and continue shitting on his headstone before the body's even cold, surely. A modicum of decorum is all I ask, and hell, you don't even need to do that. Continue calling him a hateful bigot if you want; he defiantly did enough to earn that credit.
But we almost definitely Don't need to start dragging LGBT representation through this dirt as some sort of "har har fuck you" kinda thing. Now I can't help but think that my thinking of these comics and the good things they did is going to be forever tempered by the thought that someone fought to the death against them and people waved them in his barely-dead face going "HAR HAR YOU FUCKING FAILED YOU IDIOTIC CUNTFLAP! SUCK ON THE DEVIL'S PITCHFORK YOU HATEFUL SCUM!"

I'm not asking that everyone suddenly change your emotions: That's impossible. I'm not even saying that not keeping quiet is a bad thing to do. It's more that keeping quiet is a good thing to do, if you get me - the more moral action. I say again: Not keeping quiet, spewing hatred and bile at a man you hate and feel deserves bile? Perfectly acceptable. Understandable. But rising above that? Considering him just, in the end, a man worthy of at least peaceful rest? Well, that just feels more right to me. Even if he did cause problems to others, it's ultimately something he wasn't 100% in control of: His beliefs, and the passion he had for those beliefs, and the actions he took because of said passion, it all seems like it was almost inevitable. He's not a monster: more a lost man.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Zeterai said:
I may be wrong, but hadn't that guy protested funerals in the past or some such? I don't feel bad about celebrating his - personally, I'm just of the opinion that disrespecting others who have died makes you completely fair game to be disrespected when you do.
And I freely encourage people who hate me to make fun of me when I die if my life's work is a complete failure. Of course, I won't have spent my life devoted to the eradication of rights for an entire group of people, but ok.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
In this thread: People who normally claim that morality is relative suddenly claim that a moral standard exists in order to justify their burning hate.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
RossaLincoln said:
Good Riddance, Fred Phelps: 5 Pivotal Moments For LGBTs In Comics

To mark the passing of a bigot, let's look at how gay people have fared on the pages of American comic books.

Read Full Article
I owe you a belated appology. I had no idea the extent of just how horrible this group and its leaders are at the time I posted. Anyway, disregard any and all criticism - constructive as I intended it to be - in my previous post. My apologies.