Google Unveils Internet Service 100 Times Faster Than Broadband

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Is this only going to specific places that Google chooses?

Fuck. Like Hell this will show up where I live. Damn Scottish village with only 2000 people living in it.

TheEvilRatigan

Nov 20, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Now before you Kansas Citians [Kansasites?] start throwing your cash at Google
Kansas Citians. This is KC, MO. Kansas is a terrible state that stole the name of our fine city.

Metallgoth

Mar 16, 2010
A search popular search engine & web browser. They're also in the phone market. Now they want to provide the net service. We've already passed Judgment Day for Skynet. I think we need to start worrying that Google will take over the world. All that aside, I'd love to have this.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Greg, you messy typist. What were you doing whilst typing this? Or was it that you were typing so furiously to get this story to us faster that you made a few mistooks?

Also, arent Google a tad shady with their search engine already? Would I want them as an ISP? Probably not, like I dont want Sky (owned by Rupert Murdochs company) being my ISP.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
GenGenners said:
I'm disturbed that the article never even entertains the idea of it being anything other than an upgrade for the US.

I know Google can't fix every country, but the "America = Internet" vibe is lurking in the air here.
It's an American company, so I don't find it too surprising they roll it out on their home turf first.

Not to mention that relatively much of the US lags far behind most of northern Europe when it comes to internet speeds.

orangeapples said:
I have 30mb/s and even that is excessive. Why in the world would people need to be even faster?
Personally I'm rolling three times that, and even that I manage to push to its limits quite often. Faster internet is always nice.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Kargathia said:
GenGenners said:
I'm disturbed that the article never even entertains the idea of it being anything other than an upgrade for the US.

I know Google can't fix every country, but the "America = Internet" vibe is lurking in the air here.
It's an American company, so I don't find it too surprising they roll it out on their home turf first.

Not to mention that relatively much of the US lags far behind most of northern Europe when it comes to internet speeds.
It's like being the country that invented roads. Every other country that copies that idea down the line will start with improved designs, while the country that invented it will still have the same crappy roads they started with way back when just because they still get the job done, even if they blow your axle and make you die of dysentery.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
GenGenners said:

On that note, of every company in the world, Google is actually probably the company most able to fix every country in terms of infrastructure. So come on Google, BRING IT.

Of all the companies most likely to own the world in a dystopian future, I'll probably prefer Google the most, behind Valve.
Quite frankly, the US has pretty lousy broadband penetration, so it could use some improvement. Sadly, the areas that need it the most will probably be passed over for the same reasons they got passed over by everyone else.

EDIT: Quoted the wrong guy... still getting used to the new layout.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Even though this is actually 125 megabyte's a second, that's still over 200 times what I have now.

Do want.
Greg Tito said:
but Google thanks it's ridiculous the technology hasn't had a significant update in 16 years.
That's meant to be think, not thank, is it not?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Well, I almost finished packing my stuff.
Kansas City, here I come!

P.S.
My download speed is ~400KB/s. When I had to redownload all my Steam games... I don't want to experience that ever again. :(

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
My internet speed is 30Mbps(in theory) and I still see a bunch of BS when playing on Battlefield 3 servers a bit too far from my house. I would like to be able to play FPS games on servers across the country with the same butter smooth ease as on servers in my state. All my friends are scattered across the country and it's a nightmare trying to arrange a party for any game because someone is always at a HUGE disadvantage.

And who knows, 1Gbs might actually be the internet speed that can play cooperative games of Halo! Maybe... I'll believe it when I see it. (mother of god I've never seen such a horrible net code)

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
As an Australian... I'd still love 1MB/s T.T

But yeah, as people have said, is trusting Google as an ISP wise?

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
GOD DAMN IT GOOGLE, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!

This shit better go nationwide FAST, I'd KILL for internet like that. Having games downloaded in SECONDS would be mindblowing.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I love this in theory...however Google already has too much of a creepy stalkerish interest in what I search for, who I talk to and what my house looks like. I don't think I want them having direct access to every activity I perform on my computer.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
Actual newsflash: Fiber optic internet has been around for years, in fact, many people already have fiber optic internet service. Google is just trying to make the fastest and most widely available one, as most of the current services are either only minor upgrades from broadband, or limited to certain areas.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Please, PLEASE come to Australia and give us this wonder, our internet is so embarrassingly awful. I am bottlenecked to downloading at a maximum of 350kb/s, so depressing.

aattss

May 13, 2012
Can someone provide actual websites for faster internet so I can get more excited about a company that I don't trust?