Google Unveils Internet Service 100 Times Faster Than Broadband

BlazeRaider

Dec 25, 2009
One more thing falls to the power of Google. I wish Google would just hurry up, form it's own private army and carve out it's own autonomous ever expanding empire in a bid for world domination like we all know it's gonna do eventually, I wanna move there already T_T

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Rainboq said:
FalloutJack said:
Forget this! FIX WHAT YOU HAVE FIRST! YOutube doesn't even work right, you lousy-

We apologize for the inconvenience, as this user has seen far too many so-called updates that cram more and more on top of an unstable foundation, leading to programs that are glitched at the core and never EVER fixed.
My father, who has done a lot of work for Google, defines their policy as this: get it functional, then move on.
Really? Brilliant. If he's still in the industry, could you get him to ask about this? [http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/youtube/watching-videos/Sbejm2zuXJY] Really, it's been a problem for months and they haven't been helpful.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
NightHawk21 said:
Google bring this to Canada please. You can leave the states till later.

Eric the Orange said:
At the point you can download a movie in a few seconds I don't think the internet needs to go any faster.
Are you kidding? Then we make movies with more resolution. Ones where I can see every pore in the character's face.
I want movies so high res that I can zoom into the picture in VLC endlessly, eventually reaching the point where I can see atoms. With this new internet, it's a possibility...

OT: The question is, how can you take advantage of these speeds in the near future? I don't think any torrent is well seeded enough to go at 1GB/s, and services like Steam? Ha! They can't even max out my download half the time.
Reminded me about this video

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Otaku World Order said:
NightHawk21 said:
Google bring this to Canada please. You can leave the states till later.
Yes, we need an alternative to Bell and Rogers up here. Save us, Google!
Haha it sounds like your asking for the messaih :)

I don't have these problems. I use a small little company that gives me decent speeds but most importantly no cap, but that's because I used them before they went bigger :) Ya I'm hipster like that.

TheKaduflyerSystem

Feb 15, 2011
Good, There is almost no downside to faster internet, but Caps are going to seem 'That' much lower...
Maybe it will provide the push for more ISP's to provide ACTUALLY UNLIMITED broadband.
Lookin at you BT (Grrrr)

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
the doom cannon said:
1 gig/s is quite fast. But saying fiber is new is kinda false information. Fiber has been around for ages now. I remember when Verizon laid fiber in front of my house in like 2002, which was 3 years before they even launched fios. Also, a 1 Gb/s connection will probably net you about 150 Mb/s downloads max. At that point, it depends on how fast the uploader is. If they're not on google fiber then you will still only get 5 Mb/s or whatever their speed is.

That being said, this is pretty cool
Indeed. This certainly doesn't suck, but I'm also in one of the early FIOS areas, and at this point I now have two different ISPs that are willing and able to sell me 300 Mbps residential packages. I think they just announced that 150/65 with no cap is dropping to $100/month too, so I'm pretty ok with my existing options (and very ok with not having Google as my ISP).

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
To bad I live in Canada.

Service providers limit you to a set number of GB you can download a month, once you go over a single gig can cost up to 10 bucks EACH.

So it could literally cost a hundred bucks to use this for one minute here.

Yup, those cap make it painful to find a decent ISP about anywhere, but luckily, in town I currently live in, there is a local ISP that go without cap, and his cheaper then any other ISP in the region. Just wish I had budget for more then a 10M connection.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Everyone knows that fiber provides these speeds, why are people shitting their pants? Plus I wonder how many people actually have a home network that can do gigabit networking. At lot of routers are still stuck in the 10/100 era, and most people don't know the difference between cat 5/5e/6. Good on Google thought, I wouldn't pay for their service, as that is like giving the person spying on you money and access to your filing cabinet, but hopefully this pushes Big Media into not being shitty (hopefully this ripple hits Canada as well).

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
lol. i cant stop laughing. Fiber optics, the internet service google wants tve you, exist for the last 10 years, and most of europe already has it for 3 years. jut because americas internet infrastructre is stuck at 90s doesnt mean using a 10 year old technology is "unveiling new".

Imagine being able to watch a 1080p YouTube video without waiting, and update a Steam game, and download a few torrents, all at once, all at high speeds.
already do that. welcome to europe.

At lot of routers are still stuck in the 10/100 era
only if your router is 10 years old. which is nromal for america, the country that forgot internet in the 90s.

I think they just announced that 150/65 with no cap is dropping to $100/month too, so I'm pretty ok with my existing options (and very ok with not having Google as my ISP).
wait, you said 100 dollars a month o.o i here pay 20 for a 300mbps locally and 100mbps worldwide connection.

I don't think any torrent is well seeded enough to go at 1GB/s, and services like Steam? Ha! They can't even max out my download half the time.
well my recird for torrent was around 100mbps. it had around 40 seeders.

For the record: if admin is worrying about word torrent, not all torrents are illegal. for example world of tanks http://worldoftanks.com/en/update offer a client download via torrent and its great. many services offer it because torrent protocol are superior than http when sending file.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
So I was looking at the pricing and packages they have on their sites, and I gotta say my goodwill has risen towards google even more.

1) None of the packages have data caps.
2) All of them include the network box, which I believe also doubles as a router
3) And here's the biggie: there is a plan that is $0/month. It has a 1 time cost of $300 (or $25/ month for 1 year) for 7 years at average speeds (5Mbps down, 1 Mbps down).

To me that doesn't seem too bad, and it works out to something like $4 a month over the 7 years. I personally wouldn't get it (I'd go to the $70 high speed package), but its good to see them trying to make decent internet affordable to everyone.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Irridium said:
Hey, your internet is good enough. I'm barely pushing 80 kb/s here, give me google internet!
I feel your pain good sir. That is about the speed of my internet as well. Makes uploading a pain in the ass and it doesn't help that my parents play their stupid Farm Ville all day...T.T
OT: This news has made me and many a internet nerd cream their pants. Please bring it here soon Google. The Ping of my town is 2500 and it is terrible. While you're at it, please fix YouTube so I can upload my LPs without getting stupid errors.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
This sounds awesome!

However.... Google is really spreading out.You could be on your google laptop, surfing through google chrome, and googling android phones. + something ive probably missed

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Cool. As of now, I'm quite satisfied with a 100/10 fiber, though. But it's not like you can get that everywhere.

trlkly

Jan 24, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
Over 1 Year Later [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108873-Google-Building-Ultra-Highspeed-Internet-Line-in-Kansas-City] it has finally come to fruition i see.

Still y Kansas City?

Also when is this coming to NYC :p I'm tired of the BS service i'm getting with TWC.
Man, I hate these stupid reply buttons that do nothing. You don't need reply AND quote unless you have a way to indicate something is a reply without a quote.

But, anyways, the answer: because it's nearly centrally located in the U.S., is a fairly large city but not so large that it would be hard to do. NYC is probably the worst with everything being under ground, and so much dadblasted concrete. Plus, then they'd have to run the pipe up your skyscrapers.

trlkly

Jan 24, 2008
BlazeRaider said:
One more thing falls to the power of Google. I wish Google would just hurry up, form it's own private army and carve out it's own autonomous ever expanding empire in a bid for world domination like we all know it's gonna do eventually, I wanna move there already T_T
Google is doing it because no one else will. It's a big initial investment, and telecoms, who make money no matter how fast your Internet is, have no reason to innovate. Google, on the other hand, will work better with better Internet.