Google Vs. The English

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
i think it depends where in the uk you are from. or maybe more what class you are, i grew up in a poor bit of london and **** was on a par with "git" or "wanker" it was never used as a super offensive word.

it was only years later when hanging with some more middle class people did i find people feeling it was a more taboo word

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
Grey Carter said:
Ironically the people least likely to be offended by the page are the English themselves; as we tend to use the word particularly liberally. Often in lieu of punctuation, in fact.
The temptation to write out a reply using the word **** instead of every instance of punctuation was so tempting, but I don't want to attract the wrath of the banhammer.

Why, by the way, are you using Mitchell & Webb to represent Englishmen? Are you saying they are typical specimins, or that they're cunts? :p
In the area I live, the phrase "ya ****" is used in place of a full stop by many people. Here is an example conversation:

C1 "Was up ya ****!?!"

C2 "nuffin much, hows you ya ****?!"

C1 "Aight. Ere, check out this fone ya ****!!"

C2 "Noice Ifone Mate!!"

C1 "Yeeeeaaa, Got it for crimbo from me uncle ya ****"

C2 "Fuckin Ell Ya ****!!"

mlooshka

Nov 19, 2009
Every Englishman I know has been amused by this. Cheerful self-loathing is a significant part of the British character - if it weren't we would stop playing cricket against other countries.

Can you imagine the response if the phrase had been "Define an American"? There would have been rioting in the streets.

Rue Britannia. ;)

Jun 11, 2008
Oh come on the only people who really get offended by the word **** is Americans for some reason everyone else doesn't give a shit. Yes we accept that it is a bad word but it is far from the top of the list of worst words in the English language.

Dec 14, 2009
I laughed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pranksters were English.

We're weird like that. All self deprecating and stuff.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
To be fair, up here in Scotland we seem to use "****" as a sort of introduction. Well either that or "bawbag".

"How's it going, ya ****?"
or
"Alright, bawbag?"

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Shakespeare made **** jokes. British people use it quite often. Why do people still have problem with it?

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
My day. This made it. :D Oh Internets, you so funny.

I take no offence, mainly because I myself, am a ****.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Grey Carter said:
SonicWaffle said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
"****" is considered a curse word? Huh, I always thought it was like "dick". Well, I know what word to avoid when around family.
Any word can be a curse word, it just depends on how you use it. Add a little variety to your swearing, and let's see if we can make "spunky carrot" rude!
Okay.

"Spunky carrot."

SonicWaffle said:
Grey Carter said:
Ironically the people least likely to be offended by the page are the English themselves; as we tend to use the word particularly liberally. Often in lieu of punctuation, in fact.
The temptation to write out a reply using the word **** instead of every instance of punctuation was so tempting, but I don't want to attract the wrath of the banhammer.

Why, by the way, are you using Mitchell & Webb to represent Englishmen? Are you saying they are typical specimins, or that they're cunts? :p
Their expressions seemed right. I did considering breaking out a picture of Piers Morgan, but that wouldn't be professional.
HAH! :D

Oh man, he really is though. His interview with Penn Jillette made me froth at the mouth.

OT: Stuff like this is just sweet. Go for it world! Make me giggle some more!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
What is it with google-bombing always being the most ineffectual insinuations. Calling an Englishman a "****" is like barking at a dog.

Dec 14, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
Treblaine said:
Calling an Englishman a "****" is like barking at a dog.
Next people will aggressively drink tepid beer at you.
We don't drink warm beer. Our beer is as cold as anyone elses.

You mean ale, and even then, it's not tepid, it's cellar temp.

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
That is pretty hilarious. On a separate note, **** is one of my favorite words, right after twat. Or maybe I like it more than twat? Who knows? I wrote a 3 page article on the word '****' after Jane Fonda so liberally used it on a daily talk show. I don't remember which one. That was an extremely entertaining article to write. I should find it.
Agreed, **** is an excellent swear, and twat is pretty great too. :p

I want to read that article. Right naow.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Well, we certainly do use the word rather habitually, I've only really seen people of my parents age/generation actually take umbrage at the use of the word. I use the word pretty casually and have used it in a jesting manner towards friends before, so I don't take much offense to the word being directed toward me and I doubt many other people will either. Really I just found this pretty amusing and I'd wager Daystar is right about this being instigated by some Englishman as a self-deprecating prank. I mean, we basically are a bunch of cunts. :3

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Darkmantle said:
I honestly don't understand why calling someone a **** is worse than calling someone a dick... what's the difference?
It's a gender thing, same way "girly" is an insult. Or the way calling someone dog (preferrably spelt "dawg") isn't the same as calling them a *****.