Google's Chrome Browser Used More Than Firefox

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Redlin5 said:
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Maybe if firefox would get its god damned shit together i would use it again. Seriously i don't want to wait 5 minutes for my browser to load.
Never had that issue. Huh.

OT: Firefox is my main, with Chrome as a back up. The moment I discovered there was an alternative to IE, I ditched it forever. IE is leading but mostly due to people not knowing the alternatives and the great number of company/school computers that prohibit the use of other browsers. At least that's my theory.

[sub][sub]And then there are those who oddly prefer IE despite knowing the alternatives... o_O[/sub][/sub]
Pretty much me right there. I have Chrome, but I use Firefox. I think Internet Explorer might still be infecting this computer somewhere, but I haven't let it out of its cage in years.

Also, I think this is obligatory:

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
I use FF primarily to view sites like these where I don't want a bunch of invasive ads and crap and just want the main page to appear. Chrome is for sites I trust not to have a shit load of ads. Both are good; however Chrome tends to slow down my little laptop because it takes a lot of memory to work as fast as it does.

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
I love Chrome, it's extremely fast and allows me to have about 60 or more tabs open at a time, sometimes I even use up to 100. I love how I can just open 10 things in a new tab and come back to them later.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Kwil said:
I take it you haven't used Opera, because Chrome's still copying it's innovations from 5 years ago.
agreed. In terms of what it can do, Chrome still isn't that powerful as browser.

However, it's a ton times faster to boot up on my machine than Firefox or Opera, and doesn't crash as often as firefox did for me.

It got to the point for me, that I was so sick of waiting a while to boot up my firefox that I just gave up and gave Chrome a whirl. Haven't looked back, since I don't really need that much customization for my browser.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
I only still use FF because chrome wasn't working for a bit, and I dislike a few of its restrictions, and its ram usage. Still is an awesome browser though and I use it for my dads netbook and other Computer, but my ol' gaming riggy uses FF.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
ITS A BROWSER it shows you web pages who cares which one is better it doesen't even matter I use the one that I click on first

Yosarian2

Jan 29, 2011
robert01 said:
They want people to move on from Windows XP. It's dated, and Windows 7 was/is a good enough OS to replace it.
That's not an automatic update; you'd have to actually buy windows 7, (well, or steal it) and no one is going to waste money on an old computer.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
Sandor [The Hound said:
Clegane]
Mr. Google said:
Sandor [The Hound said:
Clegane]Why is this news?

I mean it's hardly surprising.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-stupidest-internet-reactions-to-shocking-news-stories/

This is why its news jackass.
You've got a lot of nerve fuckwit.

Everyone knows Chrome is better than firefox, thus more people use chrome its not fucking surprising and its hardly news.
You come here and pretty much call everyone here idiots and I have a lot of nerve? No one said that this is the single most shocking peace to ever come about but it is regardless, NEWS!

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
Im still with opera, but my question is does any android phone use chrome, or some kind of variation of it, and if so does that come into the count?

trlkly

Jan 24, 2008
The problem with Chrome is not quite the problem with Apple, but it's close. They intentionally refuse to put in things that would make it more customizable, and refuse to work on things people ask for.

And people claiming that Chrome was designed from the ground up to be a better browser are being ridiculous. For one thing, you can say the exact same thing about Firefox (no, it never had any Netscape code). Two, Chrome uses webkit--Apple's rendering engine. You can't really call that designed from the ground up.

Though I will point out one thing: you can get that addon you guys apparently can't mention in Chrome. The only problem with it is that there's no helper extension, and using it with videos requires getting the dev version. But it's there.

Still, they keep you from being able to resize except in fixed intervals, and you can't resize text. Both of those are dealbreakers. Even if Firefox is talking about removing Live Bookmarks, which pisses me off pretty badly.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Stubee said:
I have to use IE at college against my will but its no where near as bad as people say, largely due to the fact that its VERY similar to chrome now.

Firefox has always been terrible and I've never understood its popularity.
Agreed, and agreed.

I still use IE by my own free will, have been for years . . . I've never been much impressed with FF, Opera, safari or Chrome. But, I've never understood the amount of crap thrown about regarding IE. I keep hearing this BS that it's the most unsecure browser and such, but considering 95% of the time I don't have any AV or Firewall running, I don't see where that nonsense came from. I know quite a few people using FF that can't seem to keep the viral outbreaks away . . . besides, it really doesn't help that the vast majority of all websites are still programmed and designed for IE . . .

. . . it all boils down to keeping your software up-to-date, and that's what most people tend to not do.

My only current issue with IE9 is the announcement pop-up at the bottom, but otherwise the browser runs great.

MarkDavis94

Jan 12, 2011
The only reason IE is top is because of people who don't know much about I.T and just use the one thats there, which is Internet Explorer.

Every single computer at my College uses Internet Explorer, except for the Electronics class room because the teacher is a cool guy and got rid of Internet Explorer.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Why is IE still top dog? Surely it's common knowledge throughout the entire solar system that it's garbage...

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Sadly, Internet Explorer is still used by the most people with 40.63 percent, mostly due to old installs of Internet Explorer 6 on machines in nursing homes in Minnesota, I suspect. These people just don't want to upgrade, despite Microsoft asking them quite nicely to do so [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108242-Microsoft-Wants-to-Kill-Internet-Explorer-6-Too].
I'm one of such cases.

Among more modern machines, we have about 20 computers that still use Windows 98 and MSIE 6.0

The reason ?
- Very old computers. I mean VERY old. Celeron 800 Mhz class.
- Overall aversion to Linux based systems, EVEN if all that people do is running webbrowser and writing some simple texts.
- It's the school. It is funded by government and in our country we have more important things than education of future generations. So, no new equipment, no money for hardware, OS... For the Motherland !

Greg Tito said:
Now if I could only figure out how those Google Chrome netbooks are supposed to work. It's an operating system inside of a browser ... We have to go deeper.
Watch it man. You're too close to enter zone ruled by Linux. Start with JolicloudOS or Peppermint OS. And leave all hope ye that enter... ;)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
thiosk said:
Once you go chrome, you never go back.
I did. Mainly because Chrome killed my laptop (though to be fair, later on I realised -everything- killed my laptop), and ran badly on my PC. That said, I'm willing to give it another go.

Oh, and if people are wondering, the IE people are people like me who occasionally browse from work ;)

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Doesn't surprise me, Firefox used to be really good but with every update it seems to run progressively worse and they STILL haven't fixed that memory leak that has been plaguing it for several major updates now.