Google's Chrome Browser Used More Than Firefox

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
As long as I can keep blocking images, ads, and incoming scripts on a whim, I have no reason not to use Firefox; I'm not terribly picky as long as it can do what I want it to do. And frankly, the fewer things I'm using of Google's, the better I feel. Good things never happen when one company homogenizes everything ever, and Google's shooting down one novel company after another simply because it steals their idea and backs it with a mountain of money. Tineye's a quick example.

I like how Google Chrome is touted as some kind of browser god and savior when it had to assimilate features Opera has had for... oh, half a decade now, on that note.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Well mostly due to the fact that a lot of web pages don't show up right.
There is the compatibility view button, but I have had little to no success with it.
It also tends to be slow. I have a dial up connection. Chrome speeds it up a bit, Explorer takes forever.
And while this is more of a personal taste thing, I find the interface a little on the clunky side.

I used IE for most of my life, trust me, it's not just a band wagon slam.
I've "been there, done that" so to speak.

OneBig Man

Jul 23, 2008
I have used all of the browsers being mentioned and I have to say, I have never noticed the difference in speeds. With how fast internet is today, how can there be that big of a difference for you guys?

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Google's Chrome Browser Used More Than Firefox

Chrome has overtaken second place in the browser wars, but still lags behind Internet Explorer.

Back when I was a wee lad, there was only one way to get "on the lines." You clicked (doubly!) on the little nautical wheel and booted up Netscape Navigator. Then Microsoft beat away its cute and fuzzy competitors with the Internet Explorer club, and like everyone else, I pretty much used it for years. Firefox was a breath of fresh air in the early 2000s for me, but even that noble browser began to slow from the ballast pulling it down. I tried Google Chrome on a whim in 2008 and I never went back. Its growth in usership was part of the uncrowning of Internet Explorer as the browser used by more than half of the world [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104123-You-Are-Probably-Not-Using-Internet-Explorer-to-Read-This], and now, according to Statscounter.com, usage of Chrome has overtaken that of Mozilla's Firefox to rest firmly in second place.

Well, perhaps not exactly firmly. Chrome holds a slim lead with 25.69 percent of internet denizens using Google's slim browser, while Firefox is used by 25.23 percent - a difference of just .46 percent for those of you too lazy to pop open a calculator.

Sadly, Internet Explorer is still used by the most people with 40.63 percent, mostly due to old installs of Internet Explorer 6 on machines in nursing homes in Minnesota, I suspect. These people just don't want to upgrade, despite Microsoft asking them quite nicely to do so [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108242-Microsoft-Wants-to-Kill-Internet-Explorer-6-Too].

I have to say that I'm glad more people have adopted Chrome. I really find it to be the fastest and most updated browser I've ever used, and the moveable tabs lining the top of the screen are just as convenient as they were when I first downloaded it. How good is Chrome's design? Well, if both IE and Firefox are aping it, then the Google Chrome team must be on to something.

Now if I could only figure out how those Google Chrome netbooks are supposed to work. It's an operating system inside of a browser ... We have to go deeper.

Source: StatCounter [http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-monthly-200911-201111]

Ah, yes, IP the Marlboro of browsers. Chrome rules.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
ReinWeisserRitter said:
As long as I can keep blocking images, ads, and incoming scripts on a whim, I have no reason not to use Firefox; I'm not terribly picky as long as it can do what I want it to do. And frankly, the fewer things I'm using of Google's, the better I feel. Good things never happen when one company homogenizes everything ever, and Google's shooting down one novel company after another simply because it steals their idea and backs it with a mountain of money. Tineye's a quick example.

I like how Google Chrome is touted as some kind of browser god and savior when it had to assimilate features Opera has had for... oh, half a decade now, on that note.
Interesting thing, I found that the best Chrome ad-blocker was worse that the Firefox one. With the Firefox one it blocks, for example, ads at the beginning of videos and it did it automatically. I could not figure out how to make the Chrome blocker do that.
I did that like a year ago so maybe chrome has gotten far better, but I heard there is something about how Chrome treats add-ons that makes them weaker.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I initially didn't like Google's heavy-handed approach to making me install it with certain programs, so I was resistant to switching over, but one day in a forgiving mood so I gave it a go. I just started using it and never went back, and now whenever I don't have it, I miss it. It is materially better than Firefox and Explorer.

It's tabbing feature is nice. If you use an add-on with the initials A.B. then that works as well as Firefox's, maybe even better. One place where it really shines is now that I have the PC hooked to my TV and browse in my living room from a few feet away, the zoom feature works really well and I can read text easily form across the living room, and also it remembers previous zoom levels each time you read a page.

So I thought I'd share. Chrome is the best browser and then some, IMHO.

TokenRupee

Oct 2, 2010
Meh, I like Firefox. It's worked ever since I stopped using IE after they recently upgraded.

Speaking of Navigator, anyone remember Netzero? That was one of the slowest I ever used.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
I used Firefox, then it wouldn't work on Windows 7. They released what they said was a fix, still crashed.

So I got Chrome, and love it. Not surprising it's so good, with all the finance and research behind its development.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
internet explorer shold be used for one thing:
donwload your favorite internet browser after reinstall.

sadly, most people, even smart educated people, still use internet explorer as their main internet window. this is sad.

now, i tried chrome and i stayed with firefox. i like fox more and i like all the addons it has. chrome tries to be too much like apple products. it has bad design and while it works well it still lacks functionality. i want to have tons of different things in my browser. i dont want simplicity.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Kwil said:
I take it you haven't used Opera, because Chrome's still copying it's innovations from 5 years ago.
Exactly. And everyone (who uses Firefox) is so impressed. I don't know any Opera user who switched to Chrome, but plenty of Firefox users (and I converted a few to Opera).

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
Personally, I don't like Chrome. I used to like Firefox, but their auto-update system bugs me, since its most significant "feature" is disabling add-ons. I'm using Firefox for the add-on. I have no need for Firefox without that add-on.

As far as Opera goes, its too cluttered, and complicated. I don't want a browser that does everything, just one that has the features I use.

Matthew94 said:
Can you give a few good reasons why IE9 sucks rather than simply jumping on the IE SUX LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!111 bandwagon.
Well, given that Add-ons for Firefox only slow it down, and Firefox disables them often, I've switched to Internet Explorer 9.

It does what I need it to, so why bother with another browser?

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
The joke about IE 6 on nursing homes in minnesota hurts a little.

The computers at my college still have IE 6 on them.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I use all three on my computer. Sometimes, some things just work better with different engines.

Some of the websites for homework only work on IE, but I can only properly read school email on GC, and firefox is useful to hide stuff I don't want other people to see.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
isometry said:
Snowalker said:
I'm confused, if Opera is so much better, why does it seem to fall behind Chrome in simple tests

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/the-big-browser-benchmark-chrome-15-vs-opera-11-vs-ie9-vs-firefox-8-vs-safari-5/16041?pg=6&tag=content;siu-container

Can someone explain?

and apparently the one that truly sucks is safari.
Last time I tried using Mouse Gestures in Chrome in required a plug-in, and the responsiveness was too low. Do you use mouse gestures for back, forward, new tab, close tab, etc?

Opera invented mouse gestures and still does them best last I checked, but maybe Chrome has made a better copy by now. Opera has a lot of default features, so I'm not used to digging through plug-ins.
I find it interesting that the link was to a conclusion that there's really no difference between the browser speeds in real world tests.
Also, Opera has the easiest and most logical (in my opinion) interface. I started using it about 4 years ago on my mac laptop, and have used it on every electronic device that would allow it since. I do keep firefox as a backup because my University internet doesn't support Opera fully but Opera really is that good.

Edit:
-mouse gestures are sweet and easy to use.
-although i use it less often, tiled tabs is pretty useful too in certain situations.
- easy and intuitive tab stacking is my favorite feature

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
guess I shouldn't be surprised by Internet Explorer, even tho I kinda am. didn't Microsoft make it so you couldn't delete it anymore? lol

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
I stopped trusting these polls a long time ago. The "google research shows google is best" kind of research.

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
Major_Tom said:
Kwil said:
I take it you haven't used Opera, because Chrome's still copying it's innovations from 5 years ago.
Exactly. And everyone (who uses Firefox) is so impressed. I don't know any Opera user who switched to Chrome, but plenty of Firefox users (and I converted a few to Opera).
Every time I have tried to use Opera, it never really worked that well, same with Chrome, I went messing with a lot of operating systems after getting sick with Firefox bloating and nothing ever worked as well as a fresh install of Firefox.

My search has landed me with Aurora and have been using it for the last year, while technically still Firefox, haven't had any issues with it.

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
I never did like Chrome, I've been using FireFox for a long time.

Recently though I switched to Safari and I'm rather enjoying it.