Google's Chrome Browser Used More Than Firefox

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
I don't really care which browser I use - I have all three of the main ones installed. Firefox is the one I use by choice as it's nicely set up how I like even though it's a bit flaky lately. I'd switch to chrome if you could open bookmarks in a new tab from a single left click - but this appears to be impossible for google to add as a feature.

kiwi_poo

Apr 15, 2009
I don't get it. to me chrome seems like a massive step backwards from firefox:

no bookmarks (even if there are, there's no visible way to get to them)
no seperate search bar
no customisablity besides the background, which yo see for mabey 15 seconds at a time, whereas firefox' persona's stay there the whole time
no easy way to access history
no homepage
and if you want chrome's stupid no-dashboard!-only-show-me-the-url-bar mode, all you have to do is press F11.

to me, speed does not make up for the points mentioned above. actually this is the exact reason why microsoft office has sucked since 2003: the try to make it simple, and end up cocking everything up. at least firefox remains sort of consistent

and also, I don't trust google

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I have always used Chrome since I got my new PC, except when Chrome breaks of course.

mjc0961 said:
I was using Chrome until about a month or two ago when it started crashing constantly. Same thing happened to other people I know who were using it. So I've been back on Firefox for a while now. Have they fixed Chrome yet or is it still a crashing pile of mess that makes Interent Explorer look stable?
This happened to me a while back, I think it's different from person to person.

It will come back on it's own.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
bluegate said:
I haven't done anything in a long time but this is something that I remember from the last time I did something:
Why is it that IE takes the liberty to render the content of the ALT property in an IMG tag as a TITLE if you hover over the image? Neither Chrome, Firefox nor Safari do this.
That must have been a long time ago. I don't think they've done that since 7.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Hipster internet people, giving a shit about what type of browser people are using!

I don't care. Nobody outside the companies that make browsers should care. This isn't a banner to get behind or a cause to support, its which bundle of source you use to interpret html. This strikes me as ridiculously stupid dick waving that people actually care. I think I'm going to go and continue to not give a damn so long as my browser can open the webpages I visit.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Just_A_Glitch said:
...we did it boys.

We did it!
Actually LOL'd, thank you, Sir!

I'm a Chrome user ever since I moved from a PC to a laptop (It used to be FF) I like it a lot, I guess everyone else does too. It's neat, I like the apps and that I can pimp my pages out to a degree. It's also really fast.

Also, "OMG Google is taking over" and, "LULZ people still use IE"

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
thiosk said:
And rightly so. Firefox has been a clunky mess since its second year, and continues to run purely on adopter fervor.

Just look at the trends in the graph. While most of chrome share is coming from ie, there is an obvious downward trend in FF as well-- with no sign of abatement.

Once you go chrome, you never go back.

My browsing habits typically involve 30 browser instances with 5-10 tabs each. Firefox and IE both fail miserably under this type of load, and the restore functions of chrome put both to shame in the event of a crash.
I went back to Firefox FROM Chrome. No fucking way I was using Chrome when its caching, cookies and security settings are complete and utter bollocks. You try deleting saved cookies, they all mysteriously come back (even with the setting "LET ME DELETE THEM" ticked). Firefox isn't stupid like that. Hell, the Firefox interface is pretty much like Chrome's now too, even though Chrome actually resembled Firefox more than IE when it first came out anyway.. :/

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Now you see I am not a big fan of chrome, so much so that I have Firefox instead, just seems to work better for me. Don't see how any of what I'm looking at right now is aping chrome mind it's pretty much what firefox always was with a facelift.

As a backup if firefox for some reason wont work I use Safari if anyones wondering, because it's still better than chrome in my eyes, and I detest IE.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
No sorry google I don't like you enough yet, I've tamed the fox well enough to get it to function exactly how I want it to and I'm not going through that bullshit again with you.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Aeshi said:
Truly a testament to Google's power to make people think a product is something new and innovative just by changing the looks/logo a bit.
The average person doesn't have enough experience to know that safari and opera had features that google is still copying years before chrome even existed... If people are happy with chrome, then fine.

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
I switched to Chrome a while back, I don't know how long ago. I was getting fed up with IE, but I found Firefox to be even worse. A friend suggested Chrome, and I never went back. I even convince my father, who runs a small business, to switch all of his computers to Chrome instead of IE.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
/reign of Firefox.

Haha, right. Actually...that's fair. I use both now, but still kind of prefer Firefox. Though, I do systematically remove IE from my computers as I get them, and install Firefox from a USB drive. Mind you, I'm not of the persuasion to have 100 tabs open anyway, and routinely keep my counts down, so I get about the same amount of use from them, for about the same speeds.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Matthew94 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Wow THAT's news!
People still use Explorer?
I'll have you know IE9 is a pretty decent browser, pinned sites are incredibly useful although the lack of an ad blocker almost kills it for me.
Hahahahaha, IE9 sucks. Sorry, couldn't resist.

OT, this isn't too surprising, Chrome is a really good browser. I have yet to try Opera, but it's the best I've used. Firefox always crashes on me.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Kwil said:
I take it you haven't used Opera, because Chrome's still copying it's innovations from 5 years ago.
Safari too, borrows from Opera apparently.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
I found Firefox was chugging a bit back in the Firefox 2/3 days, but with Firefox 8 they have refined it quite a lot and it's a lot better now.

Though I guess I don't care about RAM usage because I have 16 GB of RAM at the moment.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I use both Chrome and Firefox, with the la Volpe being my main browser. I just like how the bookmarks are set up.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I used to use nothing but Firefox, but recently it's been just too bloated and unstable. So I've switched to Chrome and am unlikely to change back unless FF gets a major overhaul.