Goth Mercenaries

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Yeah, I never got anti-social people on MMOs...its like, what is the point?

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Borderlands has a cheat gun, it is the revolver that shoots 7 shots every trigger pull and does 60-80 damage per shot. It is extra cheap in the hands of the sniper dude with all his crit and pistol powers. It is a nearly a 1 hit kill on any non-badass monster.

You can easily kill the boss with that. And yes the borderlands end boss sucks butt, but just pretend the Rakk hive is the real boss.

TheSeventhLoneWolf

Mar 1, 2009
Well, Borderlands was an interesting game to start with. But As I played on It looked like many games I knew, but combined. Logically, I thought it should be equally as good as those games, if so. But unfortunately it wasn't. It did have the replayability factor inline with an obsessive man playing tetris but after one time, it just ceased to be fun.

Games that I believe done the replayability factor right are Left4Dead, and Team Fortress 2. I went through all the developer commentary that I was given, Valve learn from their mistakes, and listen to the consumers just as much as any other game developer would, or should.

If you go through the borderlands DLC, they try to fix a few problems. Such as giving you a bank.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
It's funny how you have perfect grammar throughout your entire rant, and then the one word you misspelled (played, not player) is bolded.

I loved the mention of goths, it's so true.

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
Shjade said:
"If a game is only fun when you and your friends do it together then that's a review of your friends, not the game." <-- exactly the point I was making in the Borderlands review comments.
That's not true. There's no fun in playing hockey single-player... poker, settlers, chess, monopoly... and to be honest there are better or worse games to play with friends. Some aren't enjoyable at all because the mechanics just suck the fun out of doing anything with 'em.

Jaredin said:
Yeah, I never got anti-social people on MMOs...its like, what is the point?
lol some people actually like MMO-style gameplay on its own merits, regardless of if it's in a MMO or not.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Because as angsty loners it's important that you pay attention to us.
Actually, I just enjoy the humor of your reviews. I don't mind if you make fun of games I enjoy; I prefer you trash every game rather than rave about a game that is very poorly made. However, Borderlands is a good deal better crafted than some of the games you have raved about.
Hey, at least there weren't any QTEs right?

I love "Fairy Feller's Last Stroke" but I always end up looking for Waldo when I'm viewing it.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Yes, Valve do come off as obsessive artists, in a fashion.
Still fun to play their "masterpiece" or one of the many, anyway.

Shame that the updates have turned you off of it so much, though, Yahtzee.

Byrn Stuff

Nov 16, 2009
The wanting to play alone but around other people is pretty much my take on the singleplayer/multiplayer dichotomy. I enjoy hearing the chatter and seeing other players move about, but I don't necessarily want to play with them. I like my singleplayer experiences.

Fable 2 was neat in that regard because I could see other players moving about, and I could hear their voices over the game chat, but I was on my own quests just passing through town. I didn't really enjoy the game overall, but that aspect of it was really interesting for me.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Did they do the updates on the 360 version? I don't think they did- Yahtzee, if you can get over console controls, you could try playing there. And if that doesn't work, you could try the PS3 version, though I'm not sure if the community would be as large there.

Note: Even though Yahtzee is actually Anglo-Australian, he reminds me of the Sniper.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I can't really add anything to this conversation. I've never played Borderlanders and don't intend to. I also have not played TF2, which I'd heard was good, but never got around to playing. A shame what happened to it with the updates, though. It's kind of like what George Lucas did with the Star Wars Special Edition, only Valve didn't make tons of money reselling the game to people (so, at least Valve is a step above Mr. Franchisacide).

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I play Guild Wars and 2moons as single player. It's not really that I like playing alone; it's a combination of impatience to find a group, fear of looking like a noob in front of people, and a hatred of metagamers.
But I like the MMO part because it does feel more alive, at least in the outposts. And besides, what's the point of getting prestigous stuff when no one else can see it?

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
Just to repeat myself (again), all games must stand up on its single-player.
This presupposes that the primary purpose of every game is to entertain a single person. This is demonstrably false. Many games cannot be played meaningfully with a single person. For example, most card games, board games, pen and paper RPGs, and even sports would all be impossible to play as designed without other people. If judged as a single-player experience, they would not even qualify as valid games. Why should video games be any different?

If a game is only fun when you and your friends do it together then that's a review of your friends, not the game.
Certainly there's a subjective nature to enjoyment of a game. In a single-player experience, you're the only variable, and your bias is presumed to be a major contributing factor in your opinion. In a multiplayer experience, every other player is a variable as well and can change the final impression. In that sense, you are correct. But the game plays the same role in the formula regardless of the number of players. If judging a multiplayer game was *only* judging your friends, then we would like all multiplayer games equally from Smash Bros to Poker to D&D.

EDIT: reworded second response

xscoot

Sep 8, 2009
Abedeus said:
"Complain, complain, no nerdrage is bad, complain, TF2 complains, CONTENT IS BAD COMPLAINS".

Seriously? You complain that they've kept the game healthy and fresh after over two years? That they keep giving players new, fun maps, new weapons to promote different styles and roles for classes?
Have you seen TF2 after one of these updates? It's much better now as you can just get the weapons randomly through normal gameplay, as any class, or join an achievement server, but it was horrible before.

dudeman0001

Jul 8, 2008
And I couldn't play as Medic then because I didn't want to seem like some conformist
I can totally relate.
It's Kinda like how when I started playing SF I barely touched characters like Ryu and Ken. But favoured stranger, less commonly used characters, like Zangief & Dhalsim.

I always want to have some defining characteristic that makes me stand out from the crowd, and so do alot of other people.
fuck.

ilion

Aug 20, 2009
At least diablo 1\2 had an interesting story. good npcs to talk when you returned from the slaughter. same thing happened to me in dungean siege, and borderlands, its just empty.

COLIN BOWELL

Feb 16, 2010
I guess there's some amount of fanboy-ism in me since I'm registering here just to comment about the Borderlands review. I bought Borderlands and 3 of my friends did too, and we played it all the way through to the end and had a lot of fun the whole way. Yes there were annoyances, like too many quests and crummy menus, but the ability for the 4 of us to play together outweighed all that. I should also add that I am not really an FPS fan, and my friends aren't really RPG fans, yet we all found something to enjoy in the game that kept us at it.

I guess my point is that when you don't play a game on its terms, then you shouldn't be surprised when it doesn't satisfy you. And when you say things like "a game must stand up in single player", then it may not be the best idea for your credibility to mention in the same article that you love a game like TF2. A game that has NO single player component!