Goth Robot Fight Scene Draws Hollywood Attention

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Goth Robot Fight Scene Draws Hollywood Attention

[vimeo=31894179]

It's like The Matrix had a baby with Ian Curtis.

That clip embedded at right is a short film called ROSA created by Spanish comic book artist Jesús Orellana. Straight up, it's kinda awesome. Not just because of the surprisingly well-choreographed fight scenes, or the fact that Orellana is, for all intents and purposes an amateur, but also because of the masterfully crafted environment the video portrays. That is an interesting world. That is a world that I want to know more about.

Luckily, the clip has drawn rave reviews from the internet hivemind since its debut a week ago, and more crucially from Hollywood suits who are now attempting to turn Orellana's vision of an embattled, mascara-streaked dystopia into a feature film.

So far these plans are in the very early stages, so it remains unknown who might helm this picture or even whether or not it will remain in animated form. Knowing Hollywood, I fully expect a producer in a ponytail to push for this thing to be a live action flick starring Kristen Stewart and that guy from that one thing.

You know the one I mean. That guy.

Source: I Watch Stuff [http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2011/11/rosa.php]

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
While it's awesome that the guy's work gets proper recognition to e noticed by Hollywood people... i somewhat cringe at the very idea of the big studios "streamlining" everything into a mass-culture friendly mush that could potentially loose all that's awesome about it.

The beauty of independent/amateur productions is that they aren't constrained by all the rules that apply to big money world. Not to mention that CGI shorts are much more appealing than full-length movies, thanks to more condensed action experience without overuse of filler scenes.

Jowe

May 26, 2010
Is it just me or does the casing hitting the floor sound sound a lot like the half-life 2 pistol casing sound?

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
The Dude's called Jesus!

So.... this is the second coming of Jesus?

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
Very impressive video. Can definitely see the influence of several sources here, like The Matrix and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Personally, I wouldn't consider the fights particularly well choreographed, but it is very visually impressive and aesthetically creative.

If this becomes a full-length project, I hope Orellana can keep his original vision.

OniYouji

Jan 4, 2011
I hope this feature film stays animated. Hell, 9 stayed animated, no? Then I sure hope this stays animated too. This certainly is cool, but I am kind of hoping that I haven't just spoiled the whole feature film with this thing.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Music design, world design and all that were great. Sound effects were really lacking and fight choreo wasn't overly impressive at all to me, but then again consdering it's essentially done by an amateur I'm impressed anyway.

However, I kind of disagree about this being a world I want to know more about. At absolute most I wouldn't mind an hour long or so one shot, but this doesn't need a full length movie of any time. Much of the intrigue and suspense that this short does so well with would be lost in full lenth explanation and detail. Oh, and whatever gets done with it, if anything, it should stay without any voice work at all. The occasional shout or what not would be fine, but it would be hurt far more than helped by dialogue.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
That looked.... really awesome. Interesting and awesome and even more interesting. Sure, chances are, Hollywood might kinda change this, a lot, but whatever it is, I'd love to see more of it, especially anything about that world. And i can't even comprehend how much work this took...

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
I don't know... I liked it but it just seemed like too much. I'm not even sure how to describe what there is too much of but it needs to be toned down a little bit. It's like he has the amp up to 11 and 8 or 9 would be fine.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
One man.
One year.
One hundred dollars.
One impressive short film.

It's certainly not perfect, but it is definitely beautiful, and it makes me want to see more of the creator's work.

roman gnome

Feb 1, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
So far these plans are in the very early stages, so it remains unknown who might helm this picture or even whether or not it will remain in animated form.
From the website: "Currently ROSA is in development to be a live-action motion picture."

but at this early stage, I would imagine even the "live-action" part isn't set in stone.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
One man.
One year.
One hundred dollars.
One impressive short film.

It's certainly not perfect, but it is definitely beautiful, and it makes me want to see more of the creator's work.