Goyer's Martian Manhunter Comments Are Why DC Can't Have Nice Things

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Tiamattt said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
id be like making a movie about the teen titans and not include cyborg, again that character gained popularity because of the good use the cartoon made of him
A TT movie wouldn't necessarily need cyborg, or any of the other members of the TT Go team outside of robin. They can always do the usual side-kicks/younger versions of famous heroes team up story, which is the classic TT story in a nutshell anyway. Not saying one is necessarily better than the other, both would be a major challenge to make it work in life action. But the sidekicks idea would probably be easier to catch on if it follows a successful justice league movie.

More on topic, isn't it this guy's job to make crazy comic book stuff like MM work on the big screen? Like seriously, he has no problems working with

a billionaire dressed up in a bat costume
a alien with god-like powers
a amazon with very similar powers
a man who can literally run circles around everyone before they can even blink
a guy with a green ring that lets him do almost anything

but no, a guy from Mars that can make himself look human, THAT is crossing some sort of ridiculousness line. I hope Guardians of the Galaxy becomes a box office hit so this guy can watch as marvel makes a ton of money off a talking raccoon and his best friend the walking/talking tree.
well im not going to pretend im well informed in the matter, not a fan of comics, tough i do appreciate the side products we get from that world, namely games, movies and cartoons

so let me rephrase what i said, a teen titans movie without cyborg would be a huge missed oportunity, a justice league movie without the martian manhunter is also a missed opportunity

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Tanis said:
Why is it DC can do so much good with their cartoons, but suck at the live action stuff?
I think because they get people that actually respect love and read comics to work on those.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
SomeLameStuff said:
Well done DC. Well done. Can you guys hire someone who actually LIKES the comics? It's been working out marvellously for Marvel.
This perfectly shows the problem that DC faces, it is ashamed of the material it's trying to make films of.

Marvel EMBRACES the silliness. They allowed for mature plots, but has fun with the material.

DC is trying to make everything "darker, grimmer, and MOAR RELSTOC!" D:< but only is making the characters flatter and less interesting.

Warhammer 40K levels of GRIMDARKNESS do not equal mature story telling. It only makes you seem more childish.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
RealRT said:
Since you reminded me that the movie is called Blade: Trinity (even though I find these kinds of subtitles stupid and needles and they should just number shit), why don't [they] focus on Hannibal King and Abigail Whistler instead?
I am only guessing, but I'd say the trinity referred to in the title is some kind of weird, clumsy Biblical reference. God the Father is Drake, the father of all vampires; the Son is Blade, messiah born without the sin of vampiric weaknesses; and the Holy Ghost would be Whistler, invisibly guiding Blade through life. It doesn't map very well, of course, but I don't feel bad for assuming David Goyer is not very good at making good comparisons.

I withdraw the possible defense I offered of him, though. I had thought Mr. Goyer was only the screenwriter, not the director of Blade: Trinity as well. In light of that, yeah, the buck pretty much has to stop with him.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Hey Goyer, could we have a Wonder Woman movie before you move onto the "goofy" Martian Manhunter? Where the hell is Wonder Woman Goyer? Why does superman and batman get reboots of reboots and tons of cartoons solely about them and wonder woman gets one cheaply made BS movie from 80's. Why is that!? HEY GOYER WHY THE HELL IS THAT!?

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
I don't read comics, and I haven't gotten around to watching the Justice League animated show, so my only exposure to MM is through the Injustice video game, but even that is enough to know that he's not too goofy, he's totally badass and having him in live action would be awesome.

Like said I don't read comics, but it's even clear to me that these guys shouldn't be making a Justice League movie. If you're gonna try to copy Marvel, you should start by having the guys making the movies embracing the source material instead of shunning it like Marvel does.

irok

Jun 6, 2012
What? well shit , I guess that's why the dark knight had the immortal Ra's al Ghul being just a guy and the trilogy being more or less no nonsense but heres the thing, comics are full of goofiness and nonsense and that's great, im wondering why the alien comes to earth and becomes a super hero backstory is allowed for superman yet is too goofy for MM hell I think if goofiness is a problem half of the justice league if not more would be out. Also I feel that while yes Mr Manhunter has a smaller fanbase then supes or batman its still large enough that you cant rewrite the character completely and get away with it.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Joker being in love with a tranny? Can't put that in there.
...Uh, what? What the hell is this? I have never heard of this, the only relationship I hear about concerning The Joker is him and Harley Quinn, care to elaborate?

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Kyogissun said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Joker being in love with a tranny? Can't put that in there.
...Uh, what? What the hell is this? I have never heard of this, the only relationship I hear about concerning The Joker is him and Harley Quinn, care to elaborate?
I can't post a picture of him/her. Way too NSFW.

Joker's girlfriend in the 80s was called Bruno. A Neo-nazi, transgender blonde with swastika pasties on her nipples. I don't know her backstory, as DC has dropped and censored her existence since the 90s.

The dark knight returns, a film adaptation of the landmark 1980s comic that changed batman forever, has her in it. Thats the only modern DC product that I know of that has her in it.

There is a reason DC doesn't like to talk about it. What little I could find of her was that she was actually once a man. And that she had a thing with the joker.

In the 90s, they ran into the problem of a Joker sidekick, and created harley. Bruno was not acceptable anymore.

Harley was too sexist of a character past the 90s, and got a feminist revamp in new 52. Cutting her off from the Joker and having her trying to rebuild her life after she left him.
Huh, interesting. Wish I had something more poignant to say but that's all I've got... Interesting.

And more on topic, Goyer can kindly go eat a dick if he's going to be as he is concerning the whole DC universe. This guy really feels like the Fun Police based on the way he talks.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Another reason why I say DC should stop making movies and focus on TV shows.

Seriously, this shouldn't be that difficult. I mean if they EVER made the one DC movie I have been interested in seeing (Captain Marvel) then I would have faith in them.

I wish Marvel would completely kill of their version of Cap Marvel and let DC have their big red cheese back to his proper name and made a movie, Marvel MIGHT get some super-hero movie competition from something other than the X-Man franchise.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
(Facepalms) ...if this is what we have to look forward to in DC's movies, I say we forget about the movies altogether and just have the go back to making good cartoons. (And maybe do something about their comics, while they're at it...

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Who the fuck is this retard and why is he allowed to be in charge of anything more narratively complex than a 2nd grade Nativity play?

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Hey anyone here remember the DC animated universe by Bruce Timm?

They did a Justice League cartoon and the Martian Manhunter was in it. But through all 91 episodes of it, I don't ever remember him ever being called by name the Martian Manhunter by anyone just John.

Am I wrong or not?

So yeah if what is considered one of the best adaptions of the Justice League doesn't use the name Martian Manhunter why the hell would a big budget film.
I'm confident they did. It's how I learned about him, I had no idea who he was beforehand. They did call him J'onn a lot, because he didn't actually have a secret identity to everyone who had a reason to address him by any name.

Even so, why the hell SHOULDN'T they use Martian Manhunter? Batman sounds like more of a stupid name than that. So does Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and all the others.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
SomeLameStuff said:
Well done DC. Well done. Can you guys hire someone who actually LIKES the comics? It's been working out marvellously for Marvel.
I'm glad someone made this comparison on the first page.
MM is not obscure, especially in comparison to Groot or Dax. Hell, even Hawkeye is/was more "obscure" than MM before the Avengers.