Goyer's Martian Manhunter Comments Are Why DC Can't Have Nice Things

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I have a very, very serious question here...

Why the living hell has Warner Bros not hired the masterminds behind Batman: The Animated Series, Static Shock, Superman: The Animated Adventures, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, and Batman Beyond to do their friggin' movies? Paul Dini and company spent nearly two decades creating one of the most beloved, inclusive, fan-pleasing portrayals of the ENTIRE DC universe, embracing it with clear passion, admiration, and love for the comics and characters, and creating an entire generation of comic fans in the process.

But instead they hire guys who seem ashamed of anything remotely "goofy" or "fun" or "comic book-y". Someone who thinks one of the oldest comic book heroes in the medium, one of the original co-founders of the Justice League, and one of the most original and refreshing heroes in DC's library, isn't fit for the big screen because he's "too goofy".

Geez. Whether the movie is good or not, it'll make money because "Batman" is in the title (even the "franchise-killing" Batman & Robin made more money than most blockbusters ever do), but this just further proves several things to me.

1) I am never going to see my favorite heroes done justice on the big screen for a long, long time. Sorry, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Martian Manhunter, Plastic Man, Aquaman, Zatanna, Hawkwoman... you all are "too goofy".

2) Marvel is going to continue to kick their butts for the foreseeable future. While Warner Bros. has no faith in a standalone Wonder Woman movie or Martian Manhunter, Marvel's giving us ANT-MAN in his own film, two Thors, made Loki a household name, made Falcon awesome, made Captain America easily the best action-superhero on the market, and, of course, an machine gun-totting alien raccoon riding a sentient tree man into battle while "Hooked on a Feeling" plays in the background.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Didn't this guy once co-write JSA? A series starring some of the most niche, obscure characters ever?

What happened to him? When did he become a complete Hollywood idiot?

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
Trishbot said:
But instead they hire guys who seem ashamed of anything remotely "goofy" or "fun" or "comic book-y". Someone who thinks one of the oldest comic book heroes in the medium, one of the original co-founders of the Justice League, and one of the most original and refreshing heroes in DC's library, isn't fit for the big screen because he's "too goofy".
From my understanding (and I haven't followed DC comics in years) is that this is a problem across the board at DC. "Moar Darker" seems to be what they want is the comics and movies.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
Joker's girlfriend in the 80s was Bruno, a Neo-Nazi, transgender blonde with swastika pasties on her nipples. I don't know her backstory, as DC has dropped and censored her existence since the 90s.

The Dark Knight Returns, a film adaptation of the landmark 1980s comic that changed Batman forever, has her in it.
Bruno was created by Frank Miller for the Dark Knight Returns, a comic released in the early eighties and set in an alternate universe (Earth-31). That book is Bruno's only appearance in comics, at least until Miller's own self-parodic All-Star Batman and Robin. DC has decided not to insert into its main canon a character from an alternate universe that has no fan following I am aware of and the purpose of which was insulting to transgendered people, as Bruno was created to indicate the Joker's sexual perversion (the Dark Knight Returns's line of thought is something like, "Joker wants to rape Batman; that means Joker is gay; that means Joker's girlfriend would be born with a penis"). I cannot know the corporate thought process behind not transporting that character to the primary universe, and I can't deny that profitability and controversy was undoubtedly a part of it, but nothing about Bruno is worth preserving in any event.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
I don't think they'd have to adapt the detective thing in a film. One of the things Marvel has going for them is that they have struck the right balance between being respectful to the source material, but not slavishly devoted to it.
That's the joy of the Marvel multiverse. Every continuity is canon. All the marvel movies exist in their own parallel reality. I'm sure even the Lego Marvel game counts as canon.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
This episode was produced as a benefit for the Writers Guild Foundation, whose programs support writer education. [http://johnaugust.com/2014/the-summer-superhero-spectacular]
Mmmm. Sweet, delicious irony...

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Trishbot said:

Why the living hell has Warner Bros not hired the masterminds behind Batman: The Animated Series, Static Shock, Superman: The Animated Adventures, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, and Batman Beyond to do their friggin' movies? Paul Dini and company spent nearly two decades creating one of the most beloved, inclusive, fan-pleasing portrayals of the ENTIRE DC universe, embracing it with clear passion, admiration, and love for the comics and characters, and creating an entire generation of comic fans in the process.
From what I've herd (so I can't say this is true with absolute certainty) the problem seems to be union rules. Seems that one of the rules of the screenwriter's guild doesn't allow for it or something. It seems odd, but then I remember that a guy got fired because he replaced a light bulb that wasn't in his jurisdiction.

Apr 5, 2008
I have to say I'm not convinced by DC characters. I like Superman only insofar as I grew up with the (later) Christopher Reeves films, which were brilliant (for the most part). I enjoyed Superman Returns since it was a modern Superman film with enough homage to Reeves era films but mostly because it *felt* like a Superman story. Man of Steel however was another bullshit origin story no-one f*****g wanted or needed, combined with the "You can be a saviour" bullshit and a non-stop action sequence at the end that was as boring as it was grey, made most likely to show snazzy 3D effects I opted not to watch.

Batman Begins was a good enough film, and while yes, another bloody origin story, in fairness Batman never had one. Keaton's Batman was brilliant and likely the only reason I would watch Batman films, along with Adam West's TV show. The constant need for grit, the stupid "Batman Voice" and the fact that the whole trilogy was the same damn story told three times let it down somewhat.

Saying all that, those two characters at least are well known enough and appealing to watch. Martian Manhunter sounds as silly as Green Lantern with a rechargeable ring and weakness to f*****g yellow. In fairness, I never expected Thor to work out so maybe a strange, hitherto relatively unknown character can work, but to be honest, I'm not sure if I'd go to the cinema to watch "Martian Manhunter". As well as sounding like a cheesy, low budget horror film, I know nothing about the character and don't feel the urge to.

Superman you watch as he fumbles around as Clark Kent, maintaining his secret identity and trying to win Lois Lane's heart against the backdrop of a cool, superhero story. Batman you want to see investigate unknown threats, put complex puzzles together and seduce a hot woman from whom he has to try and keep his other identity which always threatens to encroach. Martian Manhunter...meh.

Superman, yes. Batman, yes. Flash, yes. Wonderwoman, yes. The others, who the f**k?

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I think the interview exposes the root problem DC and WB have with converting their properties to film. The biggest issue is they keep hiring people that neither really like their properties, but don't seem to have actually read them. Goyers description and impressions of the Martian Manhunter sound like GE has read a summary of the character from way back in the days of Brave and the Bold #28. More modern takes on the character should be a Hollywood screen writers dream. A shape shifting telepathic alien policeman, lost on our world, and taking on multiple identities to learn about us, survive, and continue his life's work. Strip out the flying and the superman like powers. Just go with the telepathic shape shifter. Just think what the CW could do with a TV show using the premise?

For how to use him in a movie just go back to Mark Waid's Justice League Year One series. J'onn using his shape shifting and telepathy to secretly manipulate the other heroes into coming together to face an alien threat. How is this not something viable for movie treatment.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Trishbot said:

Could not agree with this more... well, I could add Teen Titans (not the chibi one), but that's it.

Those shows are why I know DC comics. They're (okay, mostly Justice League and Titans for heroines) what I curl up and watch with my daughters on Saturday mornings, which I do with the full DVD sets I happily bought. They are why I gave Smallville a try, why I stuck with Arrow until it started getting good, and why I will give The Flash a try.

All built around a core of over a decade of outstanding animation by people who clearly loved their material. Who no longer seem to be involved with producing stuff at all. Very sad.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Man of Steel was way too dark. They really need to lighten up a little. Maybe not as much as Marvel, I think they crack a little too many jokes, but even the animated movies have fun moments around the DC characters.

Wonder Woman is an Amazon. They can do the depressing shit with Batman, but they NEED to lighten up considering the rest of the cast of the Justice League.

I'm glad everyone recognizes the pinnacle achievement that the DC Animated universe has done. Justice League: Unlimited is untouchable in terms of superhero cartoons.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
RealRT said:
Wait a second, Goyer is in charge of DC Cinematic Universe? Well, now it makes sense why it blows, why the flying fuck does he still get job after Blade 3?
That's what I'm thinking. While I believe Nolan had a big part in Man of Steel tonally I am also thinking it isn't Zack Snyder's fault that Man of Steel was not the mega hit DC wanted. Its becoming clear that it might actually be Goyer who is screwing them all in the long run. Seriously give Zack a good writer and we get the likes of 300 and Watchmen.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I used to like Nolan's Batman movies, but... ever since I discovered they were written by this buffoon and also did Man of Steel and now Batman Vs Superman... I've lost all faith on any future DC movie and I just stopped liking Nolan's Batman films, when I catch a glimpse of them on TV, I just diss them out and change the channel (I still somewhat like Origins, but not as much as before).

I still like DC's animated series and movies, heck, even Arkham Asylum and City were both brilliant Batman stories and both went all out serious while still retaining the lovely silliness (I still love the initial campiness of Two Face and Catwoman in Arkham City), but yeah, live action films definitely aren't their strenght anymore.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
He isn't awfully wrong though, everyone here is just incredibly knee jerky because "Omg he insulted my fandom".

"He can't be fucking called the Martian Manhunter because that's goofy. He can be called Manhunter
It is a goofy name and when you look at what the character is and does, Manhunter makes no real sense.

... The whole deal with Martian Manhunter is he's an alien living amongst us... So he comes down to Earth and decides, unlike Superman who already exists in the world now, that he's just going to be a homicide detective... So instead of using super-powers and mind-reading and like, oh, I could figure out if the President's lying or whatever, he just decides to disguise himself as a human homicide detective. Dare to dream!"
He is right, again.
Martian works in the comic books and TV series because he can readily play a side part whilst they fill out his background over the series.
A 2 hour film isn't going to convey a strong enough story to put John into the foreground, it would be Green Lantern all over again. 2 hours of watching an alien live amongst us as a detective is great and all that but, it isn't much different from Superman - the alien who lived amongst us and became a news reporter and then our greatest hero.
what makes John more sellable to the people who aren't fans?
Whilst we love him, Goyer has to sell him to people who wouldn't be interested in the comics but do like super hero movies, the first Spidey worked so well because it was fun - for everyone and not just fans of comics.

Martians powers are just so ridiculous that they would be hard to translate for a person in the spotlight to have - a man who can phase through danger, play with peoples minds and shapeshift is well, not very hard to imagine he would be in peril.
Supes has to learn which way his moral compass points and how to be a human despite not being one - which can be compelling.
John like Supes, loses his homeworld and now just wants to live amongst us until he is recruited into the JLA where he becomes a secretary.

"I would set it up like The Day After Tomorrow. We discover one of those Earth-like planets... So maybe like... we get the DNA code from that planet and then grow him in a petri dish here... He's like in Area 51 or something and we're just basically... doing biopsies on him."
Not to say that this idea is good either, if he had said Super boy was being grown in a dish I could have gotten behind it but not John.
Not unless he twists it that John is infact just shifted into the dish in order to survive the loss of his planet and loved ones and the humans carried him back to Earth.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Lyri said:
He isn't awfully wrong though, everyone here is just incredibly knee jerky because "Omg he insulted my fandom".
He kind of insulted a lot of fandoms... and women as well. Typically, it's considered a bad idea to insult your core demographics.

Lyri said:
"He can't be fucking called the Martian Manhunter because that's goofy. He can be called Manhunter
It is a goofy name and when you look at what the character is and does, Manhunter makes no real sense.
Anymore than, I don't know, BATman? SUPERman? Also, he's a Martian... that hunts down killers. A Manhunter. Martian Manhunter. It 100% perfectly describes his origin AND his occupation in one fell swoop. Superman's title doesn't even do that.

Beyond that... if it's goofy... so what? Isn't that one MAJOR reason people started reading and loving comics? Why characters like Deadpool, Squirrel Girl, Ant-man, Plastic Man, and Wonder Woman have endured for decades? David Goyer seems almost ashamed of anything wacky or goofy in comics, despite the fact that's one of the main reasons Marvel is so successful right now. Being a tad "goofy" doesn't mean it can't be serious. Batman, conceptually, is goofy; a rich playboy dresses up as a flying mammal to drive around the city punching thugs with his sidekick Robin, whose costume is only slightly less distracting than a signal flare, all while his butler keeps his giant, enormous, impractical bat-cave a secret while cleaning all the computers of bat guano on a daily basis...

Lyri said:
... The whole deal with Martian Manhunter is he's an alien living amongst us... So he comes down to Earth and decides, unlike Superman who already exists in the world now, that he's just going to be a homicide detective... So instead of using super-powers and mind-reading and like, oh, I could figure out if the President's lying or whatever, he just decides to disguise himself as a human homicide detective. Dare to dream!"
He is right, again.
Martian works in the comic books and TV series because he can readily play a side part whilst they fill out his background over the series.
A 2 hour film isn't going to convey a strong enough story to put John into the foreground, it would be Green Lantern all over again. 2 hours of watching an alien live amongst us as a detective is great and all that but, it isn't much different from Superman - the alien who lived amongst us and became a news reporter and then our greatest hero.
what makes John more sellable to the people who aren't fans?
Because he's NOT the same as Superman. Superman is, as one comic writer described it, a 2nd generation immigrant. The only home he has ever known is Earth. He was raised by humans. He blends in with humans because he identifies as a "man" (it's the "man" part of "Superman"). Martian Manhunter is a 1st generation immigrant, one who still vividly recalls his former home and friends and family and life that was left behind. Earth, despite being his new home, does not feel like a place he has settled into. It doesn't feel like "home". And because he left everything behind, the only friends and "family" he now has is the Justice League. They are his new home, his new family, and there's a reason he's long been described as "the heart" of the Justice League by many creators.

It's the reason you can have multiple heroes with similar powers and origins, yet the execution of which can yield incredibly different results. What makes Iron Man different from Batman? They're both rich, billionare playboys with no real powers in expensive, high-tech suits of armor they use to fight crime with inventive toys and weapons, with support from their British butlers, finding redemption and purpose through a tragedy in their lives that forever altered their outlook on life. But the two are polar opposites in personalities and execution.

Lyri said:
Whilst we love him, Goyer has to sell him to people who wouldn't be interested in the comics but do like super hero movies, the first Spidey worked so well because it was fun - for everyone and not just fans of comics.
And that's a core reason why so many people didn't like Man of Steel. It wasn't very fun. It was dark, moody, gritty, morose, and super serious. So of course that same approach wouldn't work for Martian Manhunter... or 99.9% of DC comics heroes in general. It didn't even work for Superman. It only works in Batman's world and other truly "dark" heroes and villains.

Lyri said:
Martians powers are just so ridiculous that they would be hard to translate for a person in the spotlight to have - a man who can phase through danger, play with peoples minds and shapeshift is well, not very hard to imagine he would be in peril.
Supes has to learn which way his moral compass points and how to be a human despite not being one - which can be compelling.
John like Supes, loses his homeworld and now just wants to live amongst us until he is recruited into the JLA where he becomes a secretary.
He was never "a secretary". He was a detective (which means he didn't solve all his problems by punching them). X-men Days of Future Past is now in theaters showing everything from shape-shifters and psychics to phasing through walls, and it's somehow not struggled in any regard showing these powers off or translating them to the big screen. This isn't 1995 anymore. We can have a 10 foot green behemoth punching a skyscraper-sized flying alien snake beast in the middle of New York and a talking raccoon riding a sentient tree man into space battle... Martian Manhunter's powers are significantly easier to adapt than that.

And the big thing about John is that, no, he DOESN'T want to live among us. He wants his home back. He wants his family back. He wants a place to belong where he can be himself and not hide. He wants his status quo restored. He is stuck on earth because he has no other choice... and his character development has always been growing to accept an alien world with creatures that he does not resemble and finding a place among them, to find a new family, to rebuilt a new life, to give purpose and meaning to a life originally stripped bare of everything he knew and loved. How can that NOT be compelling to watch develop?

Lyri said:
"I would set it up like The Day After Tomorrow. We discover one of those Earth-like planets... So maybe like... we get the DNA code from that planet and then grow him in a petri dish here... He's like in Area 51 or something and we're just basically... doing biopsies on him."
Not to say that this idea is good either, if he had said Super boy was being grown in a dish I could have gotten behind it but not John.
Not unless he twists it that John is infact just shifted into the dish in order to survive the loss of his planet and loved ones and the humans carried him back to Earth.
This is the same guy that wrote a story of Superman renouncing his American citizenship because he felt standing for "the American way" was too outdated and cheesy... which was the same reasoning he gave for having Superman no longer abide by a "no kill code" because he felt superhero rules and morality are too simple and silly in this day and age.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is proof that, if anything, we need MORE heroes like the ones from our past. A noble, heroic, all-American symbol of truth and justice struggling to find his place in a morally ambiguous world with tough decisions without compromising his value or integrity... The Winter Soldier was a better Superman movie in that regard than Man of Steel was.

Tim_LRR

Nov 16, 2009
My only issue with this Escapist article is the claim that the Marvel movies are unilaterally "better" than the DC movies.

Sure, maybe you don't like Goyer's approach to the Martian Manhunter, but the Dark Knight trilogy is absolutely incredible. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
bdcjacko said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ironman, Thor, and Capt. America were all B-list super heroes before their movies?
You're wrong.... ish.

They were significant heroes, and famous in their own right, but may have skipped a generation or two because during the late 80's and 90's they weren't as popular as Spiderman or Wolverine (X-Men in general). As this was when comic books were in the news a lot (speculation bubble, renewed "adult" focus, Marvel eventually going bust), these are the characters burned into the consciousness of a certain generation. However Cap in particular has always been a well known hero, and Iron Man spent the entire cold war bashing commies. They were by no means lesser heroes.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
...And yet, for all that, Batman v. Superman might still be a good movie.

And for all that Marvel has built up enough goodwill that they can include a character like Rocket Raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy, that might even be a bad movie.

Again, I say: if we're this eager to start calling for heads over something someone says off-the-cuff in a podcast- a nearly hour-and-twenty minute podcast- we're going to stop getting anyone in any of the industries we enjoy consuming willing to say anything that isn't scripted and cleared by the company's PR department.

Here's a link to the podcast in question; someone maybe want to give it a listen and hear everything in context before deciding the movie will suck and the writer needs to be brought to the guillotine? Or are we content to let sites like the Mary Sue act as judge, jury, and executioner at this point?