Grammar, Spelling Nazis should just get over themselves

QtheMuse

May 23, 2010
Language is a way to communicate an idea, if someone doesn't use proper grammar, english, or spelling yet they communicate their idea clearly enough for someone to understand it is it really necessary to nit pick the little things?

People use spelling and grammar to judge a persons intelligence yet language is a very flexible and fluid thing, using something as petty as spelling and grammar to judge a persons intelligence is just as prejudice as using someones color of skin, religion or sports team preference.

So if your a grammar or spelling nazi just get over it and find something else to be OCD about.

I posted this later but here

Arocdnicg to rsceearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pcale. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit pobelrm. Tihs is buseace the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

I'll just leave this here. Clearly spelling is pointless. Okay, not pointless but the way the mind works how you can explain and say that we need grammar and spelling when you can read that sentence above perfectly.

Jarlaxl

Oct 14, 2010
Well-organized prose is a pleasure to read. Poorly spelled/grammatically deficient/what-have-you mental slop, displaying little foresight, editing, or adherence to inflexible conventions of a language, is not. If I cringe at how you wrote something, you are detracting from my ability to understand what you wrote, and thus I will call you out on your troglodyte-level mannerisms.

Non-Grammar Example: I may believe the news to be an important source of information about my world, but as long as I find it to use facts to be sensationalist, I will stand against it. I may understand the content, but I despise the method of delivery.

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
Language is a way to communicate an idea. If someone doesn't use proper grammar, english, or spelling, yet communicates their idea clearly enough for someone else to understand, is it really necessary to nitpick the little things?

People use spelling and grammar to judge a person's intelligence, yet language is a very flexible and fluid thing. Using something as petty as spelling and grammar to judge a person's intelligence is just as prejudiced as using someone's skin colour, religion or sporting team preference.

So, if you're a grammar or spelling nazi, just get over it and find something else to obsess over.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Let people be hard on themselves, not others. I work to perfect myself because writing is my trade. Everyone else? Meh.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
QtheMuse said:
Language is a way to communicate an idea, if someone doesn't use proper grammar, english, or spelling yet they communicate their idea clearly enough for someone to understand it is it really necessary to nit pick the little things?
thank GOD someone said that!!! im 100% with you!

HumpinHop

May 5, 2011
It doesn't matter what you're trying to say. If you don't know the difference between they're, their, and there, that casts a shadow of doubt over your entire argument.

QtheMuse

May 23, 2010
Ah, another of these threads; time to repost this:
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea,
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight for it two say,
Weather eye and wring oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long,
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Eye have run this poem threw it
Your sure reel glad two no,
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

The more important the point you wish to make, the more effort you should put into getting it across properly. Discussion isn't a race to a finish line, and the words you type are representing your ideas and thought processes.

Fallingwater

Mar 20, 2009
I don't think I qualify as a grammar nazi, because I don't go around correcting people all the time, but it cannot be denied that reading things full of "they went to get there car" and "the cat played with it's toy" breaks enjoyment of whatever is written.
Basically, what I think when I read that is "if you don't have the brain horsepower to figure out apostrophes, what could you possibly have to say that I'd be interested in?". And if it's not lack of brainpower then it's plain carelessness, which is even worse because at least the former is not usually your fault.

And don't get me started on sms-speak...

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
If its little things I can let it go, no capitalizing, stuff like that. But just horrible misspellings, stuff that changes the entire meaning of the sentence (like above: let's eat Grandpa vs. Let's eat, Grandpa) I cannot let go.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Dr.Panties said:
nitpicking
Teehee... you're English, aren't you? Cut the American some slack (and you missed one...)

OT: I'm very picky about correct usage of spelling and grammar in real life, but only because I work in an academic setting. On the internet, couldn't care less. If someone's post is so craven in its disregard to the rules of the English language (i.e. 1337-5p33k, incessant spelling mistakes, glaring grammatical errors, blatant misappropriation of metaphor/allegory/similes), I won't read it. I won't bother correcting occasional errors, though, particularly if I get what the poster is saying at a glance.

Why? Because I make a shitload of mistakes in my own posts... largely due to me being a terrible word-processor.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
RAKtheUndead said:
QtheMuse said:

People use spelling and grammar to judge a persons intelligence yet language is a very flexible and fluid thing, using something as petty as spelling and grammar to judge a persons intelligence is just as prejudice as using someones color of skin, religion or sports team preference.

So if your a grammar or spelling nazi just get over it and find something else to be OCD about.
The following changes are required to make this series of paragraphs correct: A full stop after the word "idea" in the first sentence, a capital "I" on the word "if" in the second sentence, capitalisation of the word "English", a comma after "understand it", an apostrophe in the word "person's" in the first sentence in the second paragraph, a full stop after "fluid thing" followed by a capital "U" in using, another apostrophe in the word "person's" in the second sentence, "prejudiced" rather than "prejudice" in the same sentence, an apostrophe in "someone's" in the same sentence, "you're" instead of "your" in the third paragraph, capitalisation of the word "Nazi" and a comma after "Nazi".

Unless somebody actually has some sort of mental condition which prevents them from spelling correctly or using correct syntax and grammar, there should be no excuse for laziness in this regard. Given that for the vast majority of people, using correct spelling and grammar would take an insignificant amount of time compared to the time spent already writing out the message, all you're really saying by using incorrect English is that you're too hidebound to change. This is not a good thing.
Well said, good sir.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Grammar, Spelling Nazis should just get over themselves

Grammar and spelling nazis should just get over themselves.

Sieg Heil! (I know it's likely deliberate by the OP but still :D)

If you were to make it proper and in a title, would you capitalise every word in that apart from and? Cause I tried, it looks ridiculous.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
If you misspell or leave out grammatical symbols to the point where your point doesn't mean what everyone else understands it to be, then your communications skills need this.

As a poster said,

Let's eat grandpa!
Let's eat, grandpa!

See? Incredibly effective, that one comma changed then entire context of speech. Grammar is important to accurately get across what you're saying to the wider audience.

But if you're speaking to a friend that you're sure will understand your mistakes, then it's not a problem at all. Because the communication won't break down.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
QtheMuse said:
I agree with you, but there are so many occasions where incorrect grammar/spelling makes something difficult to understand or outright changes the meaning of the text.

Besides I think encouraging good spelling and grammar is a good thing. If you find it annoying then ignore them or use their advice to improve your writing skills.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I'd rather stay OCD about it thanks. Not only does it encourage people to try and learn (my little brother and sister need to try (yes try, i cut them some slack, they're young) type correctly when emailing me.

Everyone else? If you don't like it when people complain about your lack of grammar and horrid spelling, then the answer is rather simple. Learn to type to an acceptable standard. I still have some stupid grammar mistakes myself but the escapist doesn't call me out on it because it's an easy mistake to make.

If people are telling you to fix your grammar, something you said has more than likely come out wrong because of it. It's your only way of talking on the internet, don't settle for anything other than the best because people won't take you seriously otherwise.

The same way when I talk to someone who speaks in chav speak in real life I don't listen to a word they say.