Gran Turismo 5: One of 2010's Top RPGs?

dnose

Nov 5, 2009
By these definitions, almost any game that features a character, a progression system and some killing could be considered an RPG. Is Dead Space an RPG as well? Bioshock?

bossdirge

Jan 28, 2011
My main problem with the rpg aspect is.... why? As in why is this in here? You don't even need any of the licenses in gt5 to race, you just need levels. Infact, you can't even try for licenses unless you level first! I have owned and finished every GT game made and this confuses the living hell out of me. If I wanted to grind I would play an MMO. I don't want to grind. I want to be the the good to great GT5 player I have spent the last decade or more becoming and win in races because the previous titles taught me how. I don't need to play Like The Wind Fifty times just so I can do American Championship(?)

I only appreciate the old aspects of the game. And that means I appreciate the parts where you race the car, tune the car, set the gear ratios and downforce and wait wait wait for the chance to hop into a formula car and race against other cars of the same power and weight. In other words, the only rpg aspects I appreciated have absolutely nothing to do with levelling. It's all imaginary! You can't turn at higher speeds, you can't brake later, the levelling is totally arbitrary. It's like having a job where you shove 500 hundred hotdogs in a tube every day, and your boss one day tells you that you are a level 26 tube shover! It means absolutely nothing! I am no better at the game at level 30 than I was at level 1!

The older versions of GT had much stricter race rules and I personally miss those. Its like the whole game has been dumbed down for North Americans with short attention spans (not even going to mention NASCAR). Does anyone remember the older GT's where there were horsepower restrictions on every race? You had to drive well AND tune your car properly to win races. It's all been replaced by fake levelling and useless licenses. It would have settle for GT2 with update graphics and tracks. It would have been much more challenging.