Grand Theft Auto V's Map Leaked, is Huge

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
EvilMaggot said:
guys guys... this was leaked from a guide.. who says this is all of the map :p? AND check this out

there you can get some kind of scale to it :)

or fullsize http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/image_...aption=%28Credit%3A+Forbes%29&blog=1&cvr=rWQ1
That's the only pic I've seen of it that gives a decent sense of scale to the map, thanks for posting. All those other map comparison pics look like bullshit.

I'm curious about how the city will 'feel'. GTAIV had a city with a great atmosphere (though in my opinions some major flaws in other areas). But I think I can safely say, I love the wilderness. It looks big and varied and hopefully filled with things to do and find.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Does it matter all that much whether or not the map is the biggest[footnote]Not counting the fact Rockstar has apparently boasted previously that it would be - and they'll know better than anyone[/footnote]? Surely what's important is that it is big, feels big and is filled with enough content.

Just looking at that map I'm not sure I'd exactly feel hard done by..

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
what i just noticed from the map.. there's alot of "mount" :p so the green area's are not just plain and boring.. so far ive spotted 2 mountains

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
TecnoMonkey said:
So apparently NeoGaf members have compared the San Andreas map and this one, the result is this: http://i.imgur.com/0q6hht6.jpg

So it yeah, it's going to be pretty big. Assuming the image is reliable.
No chance. That would imply that the airport in V would be as big as a single city in SA. That would be mind-bogglingly boring and take far too long to traverse.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
008Zulu said:
Don't know how it could be bigger than San Andreas. That game had San Fiero and Las Vegas. This map has neither.
Judging by the airport scale alone... these were big enough for Andromadas in GTA:SA, and we'll have abou the same size of aircraft probably. That map is probably gigantic.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
and another thing GTAV is that is disappointing when i saw Los Santos in the news i was hoping for a larger more fleshed out San Andreas eh i suppose i will go stupid and buy it and a PS4 some time in the next 15 years so i wont be disappointed i pre-ordered/bought it at launch which has been the trend lately
and as you say there was no DLC back when GTASA was made so we might get the other 66% of the map later

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Not so sure about all that green space. Worse part of GTA:SA was all that green space, mostly bare of anything to do. Was such a hassle having to drive past it or if you crashed a plane while flying over it. At times i wished for fast travel instead of spending 5 - 10 mins running through forest to get to a main road, which was normally a motorway and had to stop cars. But that is just a small negative, nothing that will stop me buying GTA5 though as the story and 3 character thing sounds great. If your stuck in woods.....beam into the other guys. :)

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
So...which of the airports on the map is the military base? I've looked over the map like three times and I don't really see anything that clearly says "military."

As for the size of the map; as long as we have things to do in the map (i.e. plenty of content), then it shouldn't matter wether or not it is bigger than Red Dead Redemption, GTA SA, and GTA IV combined. I don't want the map to be so big that I have to take the fighter jet just to get from one place on the map to the other. That should be used for fun and some rampent carpet bombing not the primary mode of transport.

September 17 is less than a week away!!! I'm so happy right now! 8D

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
Kalezian said:
Kaymish said:
and another thing GTAV is that is disappointing when i saw Los Santos in the news i was hoping for a larger more fleshed out San Andreas eh i suppose i will go stupid and buy it and a PS4 some time in the next 15 years so i wont be disappointed i pre-ordered/bought it at launch which has been the trend lately
and as you say there was no DLC back when GTASA was made so we might get the other 66% of the map later

Now, I dont want to sound like I'm spouting off meme's, but am I the only one that remembers when Rockstar said GTA IV was the start of a new 'continuity'?

As in how GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas all had some connection to each other.

No? really? I'm the only one?

I'll just go back to my corner...
probably not but i don't see how being a new continuity matters all that much GTA games are all pretty much stand alone titles besides they didn't seem to make that much of a deal since this is the first i heard about it
and what is with rebooting things all over the place anyway so you can reuse a place name why not make another one the stories are all separated in time and space anyway whats the point

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
But how does it compare to Daggerfall, or even Panau?

Sorry, that wasn't nice.

Anyways, that's... a lot of countryside.

righthanded

Dec 5, 2007
ssgt splatter said:
So...which of the airports on the map is the military base? I've looked over the map like three times and I don't really see anything that clearly says "military."
I'm guessing Fort Zancudo is what you're looking for

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
"Huge" doesn't necessarily mean "good".
Dead zones are dead zones. Gotta fill it with interesting stuff.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
To be honest, I don't like how they're boasting about the map being bigger than Red Dead. RDR is one of my faveorite games of this generation, but one of the things that really held it back was the size of the map - it was far too big. Getting from point A to B was easily its biggest flaw.

Now, RDR had the problem of doing everything by horseback - which was painfully slow - that heavily contributed to the doldrums of traveling. GTAV will have vehicles, which will definitely help but I'm not sure if it's enough.

...I'm being very judgmental. I really like the look of the map, I'm just worried that it might get a bit tedious to travel around. Hopefully it'll have a good fast travel system.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Nobody's made an Admiral Ackbar comparison yet?

It's a map!

Simalacrum said:
I mean, who really explores entire maps without fast travelling anyway?
Yo.

M920CAIN said:
Why is it an island? Oh boy. It doesn't seem bigger than San Andreas. It seems about 25% larger than GTA IV.
Supposedly, the grey area is the same size as the entire GTAIV map.

Frylock72 said:
I don't know about you, but I drive all over the original San Andreas, and Saints Row 2's Stilwater, and though it's technically fast travel, all over SR3's Steelport (with the Spectre). Part of the fun of GTA is jacking a vehicle and running rampant along the countryside.
Thankfully, Steelport's too small to need fast travel.

That said, I'm extremely disappointed that this map doesn't have San Fierro or Las Venturas on it, or the airplane graveyard. You can't 'go back to San Andreas' and ignore two of the three important locales. I hope it's not going to be some kind of DLC.

It will be.

GiantRaven said:
No chance. That would imply that the airport in V would be as big as a single city in SA. That would be mind-bogglingly boring and take far too long to traverse.
So don't traverse it.

Personally, after the cramped map of SR3, I'd welcome a massive airport.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Simple Bluff said:
To be honest, I don't like how they're boasting about the map being bigger than Red Dead. RDR is one of my faveorite games of this generation, but one of the things that really held it back was the size of the map - it was far too big. Getting from point A to B was easily its biggest flaw.

Now, RDR had the problem of doing everything by horseback - which was painfully slow - that heavily contributed to the doldrums of traveling. GTAV will have vehicles, which will definitely help but I'm not sure if it's enough.

...I'm being very judgmental. I really like the look of the map, I'm just worried that it might get a bit tedious to travel around. Hopefully it'll have a good fast travel system.
It also has aircraft, which should make for some serious travel time-savings in itself.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Simple Bluff said:

It also has aircraft, which should make for some serious travel time-savings in itself.
I had considered that, but I was wondering how far in the game you have to get before you get planes (helicopters are in the game too I presume, but I've NEVER liked helicopters). It could be a lot of faffing about before you get regular access to them.
Again though, I'm being too judgmental. I don't honestly believe that GTAV will be as bad as RDR, it's just that when the comparison was drawn my mind immediately sprung to RDR's tedium.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Simple Bluff said:
I had considered that, but I was wondering how far in the game you have to get before you get planes (helicopters are in the game too I presume, but I've NEVER liked helicopters). It could be a lot of faffing about before you get regular access to them.
Again though, I'm being too judgmental. I don't honestly believe that GTAV will be as bad as RDR, it's just that when the comparison was drawn my mind immediately sprung to RDR's tedium.
Well, most of their games lock shit off until mid or late game, so is faffing about any different?

I mean, I always had the argument of SR style vs GTA style. SR left the maps open to you from the beginning but you had to earn reputation to play them. This was never a problem for me as I always had more than enough rep but apparently it's possible to not rank up your rep every thirty seconds. But on the flip-side, a lot of GTA maps are locked up at the start. I'd rather have the option to explore, myself.

And maybe, with that in mind, you won't have to wait ten hours to get an airplane this time. Or five hours to get a weapon.