Great Fictional Speeches

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I have three, one from a movie, and two from anime.

Movie: How come nobody has talked about President Whitmore's speech from Independence day?

"Good morning. Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences any more. We will be united in our common interest. Perhaps it's fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution, but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live, to exist, and should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice, 'We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!"

Epic.
Anime:
1.) Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

My favorite anime ever, as well as one of my favorite things ever, FMA:B is amazing. It also holds a lot of really good speeches. Particularly this one by Greed.

"I disagree. You want to bring back someone that you've lost. You might want money. Maybe you want women. Or, you might want to protect the world. These are all common things people want. Things that their hearts desire. Greed may not be good, but it's not so bad, either. You humans think greed is just for money and power! But everyone wants something they don't have."

And of course, Bleach. Ridiculously long monologues are a trope of the series. Some are idiotic, but some I actually like. Like this one by Urahara.

After all, there's nothing but fear reflected in your sword.
When you dodge, "I'm afraid of getting cut".
When you attack, "I'm afraid of cutting someone".
Even when you try to protect someone; "I'm afraid of letting them die".
Yes, your sword only speaks to me of absurd fear.
That's not it.
What's neccesary in a fight isn't fear.
Nothing can be born from that.
If you dodge, "I won't let them cut me".
If you protect someone, "I won't let them die".
If you attack, "I'll cut them".
Well can't you see...
... the resolve to cut you reflected in my sword?

And I'm done.

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
TheScottishMexican42 said:
Simply put, what are your favorite speeches from fiction. It can be from a game, a movie, tv show, whatever.

I personally choose The Eleventh Doctor's speech in The Rings of Akhaten. Just an absolute joy to listen to.

Lionsfan said:
I always really dug this speech and ensuing charge:

Really one of the coolest moments in cinema

I love that speech from the doctor but then I love everything about Doctor Who lol.

I think Aragorns speech at the black gate is better

Jul 10, 2013
Childe said:
Simply put, what are your favorite speeches from fiction. It can be from a game, a movie, tv show, whatever.

I personally choose The Eleventh Doctor's speech in The Rings of Akhaten. Just an absolute joy to listen to.

Lionsfan said:

I love that speech from the doctor but then I love everything about Doctor Who lol.

I see your LOTR speech and raise you another Doctor Who speech. The Pandorica Speech.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Childe said:
Lionsfan said:

In terms of before battle speeches, those are both great, but quite honestly, I find this speech much more personal, and much more touching really

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
klaynexas3 said:
Childe said:
Lionsfan said:

In terms of before battle speeches, those are both great, but quite honestly, I find this speech much more personal, and much more touching really

I raise you a better Sam speech. Well Sam and Frodo

and I just think this is a beautiful scene.

As for the Pandorica speech ya that speech is awsome but i think its even better if your watching the video at the same time. if your not i think it loses some effect

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009

I don't usually say /thread but when I do it's when I have a speech made of speeches already posted in this thread combined to make the mother of all speeches. Made ages ago, I actually found it here haha, and still holds up as an awesome speech.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
All that Lord of the Ring speech and no Gandalf? Scandal!

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning, thinking this is its last day on Earth.
But I think that's a luxury, not a curse.
To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom.
Good time to take...inventory.
Outgunned. Outnumbered. Out of our minds, on a suicide mission--
but the sand and rocks here, stained with thousands of years of warfare...
They will remember us. For this.
Because, out of all our vast array of nightmares, this is the one we choose for ourselves.
We go out like a breath exhaled from the Earth:
with vigour in our hearts and one goal in sight.
We. Will. Kill him.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Lionsfan said:

Yeah, pretty much my favourite moment in movie history.

My other favourite movie, Cloud Atlas, has a few great ones. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite. Probably this one:

I mean, if you watch the film, that's a helluva lot of heartstrings being pulled right there. Rivalled by another scene in the same movie, but there's no real speech there.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010

A speech that shows having all the power in the world isn't as fun as one might think, leading up to an awesome display of power. A speech that shows that yes, Superman is extremely overpowered, and there is a lot of conflict and dilemmas that can be drawn from that, but for the moment, here's him punching someone. Plus the music really sets the mood.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
There really is only one choice for me that I can think of at the moment.

What he says, how he says it...gave me chills the first time.

Lionsfan said:

I always thought it was rather nice of them to announce their presence with war horns and then form up in plain sight allowing the Orcs to reorganise their ranks and deploy pikemen to the new front rather than just smashing into the flank of the host that was focused in the other direction.

I guess what they did was more honourable or something but what I would have done would have minimised friendly casualties, maximised enemy casualties and had a fairly devastating affect on morale (trained horsemen out of fucking nowhere? Aww hell no)

Fatboy_41

Jan 16, 2012
I'm gonna sneak this in, cause I wanna...

Recreated for a documentary, based on Col Collins' actual speech to his troops.

And second, this one from Rocky Balboa will always be awesome.

Maeta

Jun 8, 2011
Have to say that the one from Pete Postlethwaite in Brassed Off is one I'll always love and remember, as was the one by the clown, with the joke about the creation of the Tory Party.

Another one, and I cant believe this has slipped the net:
"Hodor!"

That is all...

Single Shot

Jan 13, 2013

I can't believe nobody has already said this. The timing, The lighting, Even the total belief and dedication in every word. The speech was awesome, and then the reactions made it priceless.

Good old Jayne.

Sorry the video quality's not great, I had a hard time finding an unedited version of it on the web.