Great Fictional Speeches

randomrob1968

Sep 26, 2011
<youtube=-92LUdAXxAY>

John Cusack's speech from Idenity.. not a great speech per se, but incredible delivery-

InfinityCubed

Aug 22, 2012
randomrob1968 said:
John Cusack's speech from Idenity.. not a great speech per se, but incredible delivery-
I would say that the delivery is at least as important as the words?

randomrob1968

Sep 26, 2011
definitely, just not one you quote to other people..not inspirational, etc. :)
But it's a great scene, I really liked that movie alot- one of my fave neo-noirs, along with Memento..

and it's amazing in hi-def-

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
The one that immediately springs to mind is Deathwing's speech(es) from WoW: Cataclysm. It's technically not really a speech, instead a bunch of disparate sound bytes, but some industrious soul has patched them together into a pretty damn epic speech that is just awesome to listen to. See:

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
Mr. Omega said:

A speech that shows having all the power in the world isn't as fun as one might think, leading up to an awesome display of power. A speech that shows that yes, Superman is extremely overpowered, and there is a lot of conflict and dilemmas that can be drawn from that, but for the moment, here's him punching someone. Plus the music really sets the mood.
After all that "I gotta be careful not to hurt someone" crap he launches the guy through 7 office buildings and causes an earthquake in the middle of downtown Metropolis. Nice :)

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
ManaAdvent said:
Here's also a strangely beautiful speech from a crazy Tart Toter. Only in Adventure Time that this can work well:
I think I've actually managed to translate this one into plain English; and it *is* beautiful.

"bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively"

Life is full of highs and lows, and it is confounding,

"if sweetness can win"

Obvious one; if goodness can win out. Goodness in people. Goodness in nature, etc.

"I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday"

It doesn't matter if this fade away, if life doesn't last forever, even if we're forgotten; the fact remains that when good things happen, they will have always happened, and even good things that don't last are forever embedded in the fabric of time. Their occurrence is an achievement within itself.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Some great ones (some make me feels so sentimental too). I'm surprised these weren't posted yet.

The wisdom of puppets:

This is the ending speech in Killing Them Softly, so heads up on SPOILERS.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
soren7550 said:
Trying to avoid those already mentioned, so...

This really is the only moment in the whole series where the Reapers come across as omnipotent god beings beyond our understanding, instead of just the tripod warmachines they are in Mass Effect 3.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I think speeches that characters make, in stressful situations or when they're pushed to the limit, can be the best. I like epic speeches too, but the human ones are better to me.

I'll go with this one. It was the moment when I fell in love with this show. Up to this point I thought it had been interesting, and a fun watch, but not much more. Pretty much everything after this point I loved. Especially the ending of the same episode.

Sep 14, 2009
Fatboy_41 said:
And second, this one from Rocky Balboa will always be awesome.

gah i've always loved this one, gush at it like every time.

Grottnikk said:
Mr. Omega said:

A speech that shows having all the power in the world isn't as fun as one might think, leading up to an awesome display of power. A speech that shows that yes, Superman is extremely overpowered, and there is a lot of conflict and dilemmas that can be drawn from that, but for the moment, here's him punching someone. Plus the music really sets the mood.
After all that "I gotta be careful not to hurt someone" crap he launches the guy through 7 office buildings and causes an earthquake in the middle of downtown Metropolis. Nice :)
lol very true, i've always scratched my head a bit at that part...i wish they would've had him punch him to the moon or something or just have him punch him in the chest 10000000 times at lightspeed to prove his strength/speed.

OT:

love this speech and what it means

very short little speal, but god damn does it hit the feels every time i hear/see this.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
I am disappointed that this scene was not already here for me it is by far the best scene that the GoT show added

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Ooo and another one at the end of Book 14 of the Wheel of Time.....

Rand:YOU SHOULD NOT BE SURPRISED. WHEN HAVE YOU EVER INSPIRED THE BEST IN MEN? YOU CANNOT. IT IS OUTSIDE YOUR POWER, SHAI'TAN. YOUR MINIONS WILL NEVER FIGHT ON WHEN HOPE IS LOST. THEY WILL NEVER STAND BECAUSE DOING SO IS RIGHT. IT IS NOT STRENGTH THAT BEATS YOU. IT IS NOBILITY.

Dark one: I WILL DESTROY! I WILL REND AND BURN! I WILL BRING DARKNESS TO ALL, AND DEATH WILL BE THE TRUMPET I SOUND BEFORE MY ARRIVAL! AND YOU ADVERSARY...OTHERS MAY ESCAPE, BUT YOU WILL DIE . YOU MUST KNOW THIS.

Rand: OH I DO SHAI'TAN, I EMBRACE IT, FOR DEATH IS-AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN- LIGHTER THAN A FEATHER. DEATH ARRIVES IN A HEARTBEAT, NO MORE TANGIBLE THAN A FLICKER OF LIGHT. IT HAS NO WEIGHT, NO SUBSTANCE.... DEATH CANNOT KEEP ME AT BAY, AND IT CANNOT RULE ME. IT COMES DOWN TO THIS , FATHER OF LIES. WHEN HAVE YOU INSPIRED A PERSON TO GIVE THEIR LIFE FOR YOU? NOT FOR THE THE PROMISES YOU GIVE , NOT FOR THE RICHES THEY SEEK OR POSITIONS THEY WOULD HOLD, BUT FOR YOU. HAS IT EVER HAPPENED?

BRING MY DEATH, SHAI'TAN, FOR I BRING YOURS!

Reason for the all caps is because this a conversation between the messiah and the primordial evil in a hole in the fabric of reality

InfinityCubed

Aug 22, 2012
Please bring more speeches!

Here's my contribution. I havent seen very many movies so i went to this website.

http://www.filmsite.org/bestspeeches61.html

From Deep Blue Sea:
Enough! That's enough now, from all of you! You think water's fast? You should see ice. It moves like it has a mind. Like it knows it killed the world once -- it got a taste for murder. When the avalanche came, it took us a week to climb out. And somewhere, we lost hope. Now I don't know exactly when we turned on each other, I just know that seven of us survived the slide... and only five made it out. Now we took an oath that I'm breaking now. Swore that we said 'twas the snow that killed the other two. But it wasn't. Nature can be lethal, but it doesn't hold a candle to man. Now you've seen how bad things can get and how quick they can get that way. Well, they can get a whole lot worse! So we're not going to fight anymore! We're going to pull together and we're gonna find a way to get outta here! First, we're gonna seal off this--

He was shockingly grabbed, crunched, and split in half by a giant super-intelligent shark.

edit: how did I forget this?

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Ah damn. Ninja'd for Irid Elba's speech in Pacific Rim. That's the only time i've seen a movie theater cheer with the characters was after his speech.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I am surprised no one has mention this one:

One of the best performances by Nicholson, written by Aaron Sorkin (West Wing, Newsroom).