Great Fictional Speeches

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Scorched_Cascade said:
I always thought it was rather nice of them to announce their presence with war horns and then form up in plain sight allowing the Orcs to reorganise their ranks and deploy pikemen to the new front rather than just smashing into the flank of the host that was focused in the other direction.

I guess what they did was more honourable or something but what I would have done would have minimised friendly casualties, maximised enemy casualties and had a fairly devastating affect on morale (trained horsemen out of fucking nowhere? Aww hell no)
The horns serve a few purposes. The first, an army doesn't operate like a hive mind, and there were a lot of Rohirrim there. The horns help coordinate them. The second, it lets their presence be known to the men inside Minas Tirrith, enabling them to launch a counter attack as the Rohirrim charge (it's been a while since I read the books, but I have an impression that this was the moment when Prince Imrahil led the Swan Knights on a sortie). The third, scares the crap out of the enemies. The Orc army was massive, and there was no way they'd be able to relocate enough pikemen and archers to form a solid wall before the Rohirrim hit. The horns do a great job of spreading the fear to the entire enemy army.

Your idea of a silent charge out of nowhere is rather unlikely. It would have led to different parts of the Rohirrim charge striking the Orc lines at different times, rather than the coordinated charge they managed to pull off. Armies just aren't very quiet, not when you're trying to yell orders to several thousand men.

Also note that the Rohirrim had already formed their ranks by the time they arrived. The Orcs really didn't get much time to prepare, all things considered, and I'd say the benefits to communication presented by the horns outweighed the very slight disadvantage of the few seconds they did get.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This one little speech from The Fly just makes the movie and perfectly encapsulates the tragedy of it all.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I always think this, while short, is a great speech (sort of) from MGSV:

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... And my arm... even my fingers... The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past!"

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Vayne's speech from FF12. Mediocre game, bland characters (particularly peter pan and his girlfriend) but it was visually appealing and featured some really great voice acting (I guess making up for the lack of it in 10?). Either way, Vayne Solidor more or less opens the game with his speech to a country he just took over, and the combination of VA and body language (hand motions, gestures, etc) blew me away.

(starts at ~50s)

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Well... I'd post the greatest speech ever made here, but unfortunately it's in dutch, so most wouldn't understand it.

I guess I'll put it in spoilers.

"Aan allen die gekomen zijn, proficiat. Aan allen die niet gekomen zijn, ook proficiat."

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Lionsfan said:
I always really dug this speech and ensuing charge:

Really one of the coolest moments in cinema
LOTR has so many great speeches in it but that would have to be my favourite too. Probably my favourite scene in any of those movies.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
This epic one from Starcraft.

And this one from Andrew Ryan. Though I do not agree with it, it's thought provoking:

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Trying to avoid those already mentioned, so...

Not sure if this one counts (since it may have actually been said), but it's still a good silly speech:

Bah, I know there's more that I do adore, but I'm coming up blank. -_-'

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
IndianaJonny said:
It's the calm, quite ones that surprise you.
I forgot until now how good an actor robin williams actually is. He can make you literally roll around the floor laughing then without a moments notice he can put a great big lump in your throat

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
shootthebandit said:
I forgot until now how good an actor robin williams actually is. He can make you literally roll around the floor laughing then without a moments notice he can put a great big lump in your throat
Guess you could say there's a man who's not squandered his talent.

tommy15994

Jan 22, 2011
Red vs Blue Is a series with dick jokes and great speeches. what's not to love!

This paticular one is a hate speech. I mean its about hate. I mean hatred. starts at 15:09

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Scorched_Cascade said:
There really is only one choice for me that I can think of at the moment.

What he says, how he says it...gave me chills the first time.

Lionsfan said:
I always really dug this speech and ensuing charge:

Really one of the coolest moments in cinema
I always thought it was rather nice of them to announce their presence with war horns and then form up in plain sight allowing the Orcs to reorganise their ranks and deploy pikemen to the new front rather than just smashing into the flank of the host that was focused in the other direction.

I guess what they did was more honourable or something but what I would have done would have minimised friendly casualties, maximised enemy casualties and had a fairly devastating affect on morale (trained horsemen out of fucking nowhere? Aww hell no)

But yeah, they should have formed up behind the hill, done the speech, then sounded the horns to attack.

But that wouldn't be as cool

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
I can think of several.

I like this one from Sherlock, just the way he says it really makes you believe what he's saying. So cool.

This from the ending of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Genuinely valuable life lesson.

This last one, again, for sheer coolness.