Great game music.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
MGS4 might have the most convoluted, cheesed up plot line in the series in its attempt at tying up loose ends, but the OST is killer

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I think the whole series should be remastered if only to give the OSTs actual orchestra quality scores vs midi, in addition to the graphics boost.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

In case you're wondering, this is the wonderful sound you get to rock out to during the final boss battle.

I have no idea what the Spanish Guitar is for. I don't really care because it's like auditory gold being poured into my ears.

This is also very good, in a different way.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

In case you're wondering, this is the wonderful sound you get to rock out to during the final boss battle.

I have no idea what the Spanish Guitar is for. I don't really care because it's like auditory gold being poured into my ears.

This is also very good, in a different way.
They both actually sounded quite MGS-y overall, which I’m wondering if it was intentional. Would be a cool nod if so.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
They both actually sounded quite MGS-y overall, which I’m wondering if it was intentional. Would be a cool nod if so.
I mean, you can make a good case that Ace Combat is like Metal Gear with Fighter Planes. It's not a perfect match but I was getting some MGS3 vibes from AC:Zero.

Kinda shocked nobody did these yet(unless I missed them). I can't listen to any of these without getting major feels.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I mean, you can make a good case that Ace Combat is like Metal Gear with Fighter Planes. It's not a perfect match but I was getting some MGS3 vibes from AC:Zero.

Kinda shocked nobody did these yet(unless I missed them). I can't listen to any of these without getting major feels.

I love that background in the first one. Was it in PW? I don’t recall as it’s been so long. I think Snake Eater was posted a few pages back but deserves a refresh.

I just replayed the mission that plays that last one the other night, and it was much more effective this time around personally. The game also has a longer intro for it than the OST version, which really adds to the atmosphere.

Something about music, the first listen generally doesn’t ever hit me for anything, emotionally. There is certainly stuff that I find impactful in a goosebumpy way right out of the gate, in other respects. Most of Interstellar’s brilliant score was like this for example. Usually though, it has to sink in a bit, marinate in my mind and maybe just listen to it a few times separately from playing, thinking about the themes of what I’d played or watched.

Anyways, I like Willie’s version of this song but this one’s grown on me -

Didnt realize he was from Queens of the Stone Age (knew that voice sounded familiar). I like how he changes up/rearranges the lyrics a bit.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Personally, the mission A Quiet Exit managed to subvert any frivolity or humility the skimpy outfit awarded her.

Last edited:

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada
Ohh man a bunch of music comes to mind and I could honestly post a bucket load. But I think the two that always pop into my head are:

Rean summoning Valimar:

The moment this happened in the first bit of trails of cold steel 2 I was absolutely amped up.

The other one would be

Marie’s boss music, there is just a the perfect mix of sadness and “we are going to save you” in it

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Talking about Payday 2 reminded me how much I love the songs in that game.

This one is technically from a trailer, but it's IN the game too, as you can hear it on various radios in any given map.

And of course, time to go loud boys!!

Reactions: Sora383

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Almost anything that Video Games Live chose to cover could generally be considered to be at least great vg music. But whenever one of these threads pops up and especially after Red Dead Redemption or its sequel, the 3rd RD game, gets a mention I always come back with Outlaws.

Western themes so good I use the when I gm tabletop Deadlands games. When I do that I random the tracks, and that main Outlaws theme always seems to punctuate some grand moment for my players. When they gear up and ride off to face down some unknowable horror that I will have kill most of them (just mostly dead.) One of the things I liked about it so much. They burned the soundtrack, in audio format, onto the game CD. You could play the game, then exit to windows, switch to your media player (or just pop out the cd and put it into any conventional CD player,) skip past track 1 (which was the game data,) and play the soundtrack. I never understood why more games didn't do that, it was a neat extra.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Almost anything that Video Games Live chose to cover could generally be considered to be at least great vg music. But whenever one of these threads pops up and especially after Red Dead Redemption or its sequel, the 3rd RD game, gets a mention I always come back with Outlaws.

Western themes so good I use the when I gm tabletop Deadlands games. When I do that I random the tracks, and that main Outlaws theme always seems to punctuate some grand moment for my players. When they gear up and ride off to face down some unknowable horror that I will have kill most of them (just mostly dead.) One of the things I liked about it so much. They burned the soundtrack, in audio format, onto the game CD. You could play the game, then exit to windows, switch to your media player (or just pop out the cd and put it into any conventional CD player,) skip past track 1 (which was the game data,) and play the soundtrack. I never understood why more games didn't do that, it was a neat extra.

I recall the Castlevania: SotN game disc had a couple hidden tracks on it too. Was a cool surprise, even if they were on the lower end of the brilliant OST itself.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
I could make a whole list of great game music, but since I've been playing it lately I gotta drop a shoutout to Destiny 2 Beyond Light. Deep Stone Lullaby is particularly incredible.

And while I have yet to get around to playing the actual game, Rebel Galaxy.

All the other choices are obvious. Literally all of Frank Klepacki's work on Command & Conquer and Red Alert (personal preferences, Target/Mechanical Man, Grinder). Both the original and current Doom games, if you can listen to the E1M1 theme or The Only Thing They Fear Is You without wanting to RIP AND TEAR, there's something wrong with you. Liberation of Gracemeria from Ace Combat 6. And the awesome Mandalorian Chant from Republic Commando.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Surprised I get to be the one to post first for this game.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009