"Great" games that failed to blow you away

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
I make this thread because I recently played the God of War III demo. I don't know how much it speaks for the quality of the actual game, but I was unimpressed, and having tried the other God of Wars as well, (albeit briefly,) I just fail to see what all the fuss is about.

But enough about that. What supposedly great games have you found surprisingly underwhelming?

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Fallout 1 and 2.

I really can't understand how so many people can love those games.

EDIT: And I just remembered, I found Final Fantasy 7 to be unbelievably boring.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Hmmm... I could never get into Deus Ex, but I might not have given it enough of a chance.

legion431

Mar 14, 2010
Half Life 2...KIDDING!!!
I'd say Metal Gear Solid 3. I just didn't like it, but that's just me.
And WM2 as well.

danzama

Mar 13, 2010
Modern warfare 2, it was meant to be the game of a lifetime, but it just kinda fails.

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
Grand Theft Auto IV. Despite all the controversy, the game was bland, the cars all handled like rocks, and the city was never exciting enough to explore. Personally, I prefer Saints Row 2, Crackdown and Mercenaries simply due to the inclusion of comedy and the cathartic potential (Awesome vehicle controls, jumping around the city in complete freedom, and leveling an entire city with bombs, etc...)

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Half Life 1 and 2
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
God of War 1,2,3
Persona series
Final Fantasy series(Excluding The Crystal Chronicles). EDIT-http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.182007-Great-games-that-failed-to-blow-you-away?page=6#5392485
I know there's more

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Any Final Fantasy. My girlfriend makes a huge deal of them, and they always, always fail to impress me.

Any GTA game since the first one.

Halo 2 & 3 were kinda "meh"... I'd venture so far as to say that the first one is passable.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Dragon age...Kidding!

I'll say, System shock 2...Okay I lied, I'm only saying that because it's scared the shit out of me.

I guess most of final Fanasty games, save for 7,8 and 10.

7 because it was the first game to make me say..."Oh fuck yes!"
8...Gunblade...I need no other reason.
10, because it's the first Final fanasty game I ever played.

JemJar

Feb 17, 2009
legion431 said:
Half Life 2...KIDDING!!!
I'd say Metal Gear Solid 3. I just didn't like it, but that's just me.
And WM2 as well.
Half Life 2, not kidding.
For that matter, see also:
Half Life 1
Biosh¤£k (1)
Oblivion

Tim Vanhoutte

Mar 17, 2010
Half Life 2: never got around to finishing it
...Katamari: I keep reading how great this is but i never found out what makes it great

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Furburt said:
Look, I hope I don't get flamed for this, but I'm just going to come out and say it.

Halo.
The original Halo:CE. Even people who hate Halo 2 and 3 say that Halo 1 was a masterpiece, but I just don't see it.

I mean, it's certainly a competent game and introduced many innovative features, some good, some bad, but as an entertaining experience, it just completely failed to draw me in no matter how many chances I gave it.
I hear you. I'm not sure why, but it just bored me to death. Admittedly, I didn't play it until long after it had ceased to be cutting edge.