"Great" games that failed to blow you away

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
-Drifter- said:
I make this thread because I recently played the God of War III demo. I don't know how much it speaks for the quality of the actual game, but I was unimpressed, and having tried the other God of Wars as well, (albeit briefly,) I just fail to see what all the fuss is about.

But enough about that. What supposedly great games have you found surprisingly underwhelming?
I agree. The entire God Of War series has pretty much been identical to the previous game. Boring, meaningless gratuitous sex scenes, annoying repetitive QTE's, shallow, barely holding together plot, and a slowed down version of combat ripped straight from the pages of Devil May Cry.
I enjoyed Chains of Olympus on the psp, because it was the first one I played, but 1, and 2 were the same game again, basically.
God of war III is no different except they've shown more nudity this time (oooh, controversy, that's how we'll sell our game!) and a high definition upgrade to the graphics.
It's not worth the hype and I really don't understand it when people say it's a "system seller". -.-

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Arachon said:
Half-Life 2... Extremely mediocre.
What year did you play it? I have to ask.
It pretty much set the precedent for creating shooters with more in depth plot and puzzle solving gameplay. So, you're either extremely ignorant, or you didn''t play it when it first came out.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Fallout 3: I gave it three fair chances (because it took me a couple chances to warm up to Oblivion) to interest me, but it just felt so dull.

Also, I played Little Big Planet on a friends Ps3 for a while. I just don't get the appeal. He said, "Well, it's better when you play it with someone else so I'll jump in". Still nothing. "Well, see you can customize your rag dude". Ok...so?

I can't say why I didn't like Gears of War. I just didn't. I know I didn't like the bulky character models, but that wouldn't ruin it. People told me it (also) is better when playing with a friend, so maybe that's it. I'm a huge fan of Mass Effect 2 and many people say the two are very much alike as far as combat goes. This one is a mystery to me.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Daedalus1942 said:
Arachon said:
It pretty much set the precedent for creating shooters with more in depth plot and puzzle solving gameplay. So, you're either extremely ignorant, or you didn''t play it when it first came out.
Or maybe they just didn't like it.

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
I got Half Life 2 a year or so ago and I still haven't finished it- and I typically beat my games' story 2-5 days after purchase. It's the pace that really annoys me. "Oh, two hours of non-stop shooting, opening elaborate doors, and horrible buggies? TOO BAD! You can rest when you're dead! Now, go get mauled by mutant ants due to some impossibly difficult first-person platforming. How well can you jump onto a can of beans?"

Anyway. That and Bioshock.

EDIT: Oh, and Oblivion. The combat... Oh lord, the combat...

MCGT

Sep 27, 2008
Half Life 2, like quite a few other people.

I enjoyed the opening story and 'cutscenes'(which I've watched like 5 times in an attempt to finish the game) but I just couldn't get a hold on the combat. I guess it's what happens to somone raised on CoD and the like.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
-Drifter- said:
Daedalus1942 said:
Arachon said:
Or maybe they just didn't like it.
If he called it extremely mediocre, he probably played it recently and just "didn't see the hype".
When it first came out, it was original, innovative, and had a good story (something most shooters didn't have). It set the standard for many games released after it. Calling it "mediocre" shows he has no respect for what it contributed to today's videogames industry.
Before games like HL2, the puzzle elements in shooters were finding different coloured keys for different coloured doors (with the exceptions of Deus Ex (which was largely ignored when first released) and System Shock I and II).

Sir Bob

Jan 14, 2010
Mirrors Edge
Prototype (Got bored after 12 minutes)
Counter Strike
Dragon Age (Even spent money on it! Damned!)

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Daedalus1942 said:
Arachon said:
Or, and this might be a far-fetched possibility and I realize we're venturing into uncharted waters, but he simply didn't like it?

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
GTA IV because it seemed to just lack an element of being entertaining. It just felt too slow and restrictive compared to its earlier counterparts and saints row 2.

Uncharted 2: Among thieves also.

Joel Miranda

Mar 18, 2010
Fable 2 - I loved Fable 1, but found Fable 2 too easy and dumbed down. Like Fable 1, but without the novelty factor. If Fable 2 had several difficulty settings, I might have enjoyed it more. My little sister loved the game, though, so at least my hard earned money didn't go wasted. And for that reason, I'll be very wary of Fable 3.

Lost Odyssey - I never finished the game, I'm at CD 4/4, but last time I played was like 1 year ago.

Star Ocean TLH: gods, do I hate the characters. The only reason I enjoyed the game was because of the real time combat.

Prince of Persia (the last one) - in the beggining I was all woah! awesome, and then I was all meh, because it's just the same thing over and over again. at least the boss battles add a little variety :/

Mirror's Edge - I only played the demo, but it failed to impress me. I stopped playing after 5 minutes (yeah, I didn't even finish the demo)

Street Fighter IV - I came from Soul Calibur IV, and I love that game. Coming back to SF4, it felt limited (a 2D fighter, I never thought that still existed), because today's 3D fighters feel so much more agile. I played and loved SF2 turbo on the SNES, but I believe that games should always learn the lessons from modern games and not just do that same thing that worked 15 years ago.

Warcraft 3 - I came from Age of Empires, War3 was too frenetic for me, and playing the more forgiving campaign, I failed to see what was so good about the game. I remain a great fan of Age3 and Halo Wars, though

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
I thought Halo was shit, God of War meh and Resident Evil 4 just couldn't get into.