Great masterpieces... that suck!

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
jboking said:
archvile93 said:
Ah yes the upgrade your plasmids options. Now they'll only be slightly less useless. Tell me which plasmid was your favorite? The one that stunned enemies but did no damage not that you could break cover and take advantage of his immobility because then his eight buddies will tear you apart before you can say "wrench damage bonus"? One of the two that do very little damage and don't even serve as a distraction? You'd think being swarmed by angry bees or on fire would be distracting, but no they're still perfectly able to keep shooting at you with near flawless accuracy from their bottomless magazines. Is it the one that's only useful against nitro splicers since they're the only ones with attacks you can catch? Or maybe it's the one that freezes enemies but has the same problems as the first one in addition to the fact that if you kill him like that you can't loot the corpse and he'll probablt thaw before then, and you can't damage his actual health anyway? Oh and Like I said in a later post, hacking is easy, unless it makes the board unwinnable as it often doesn, like when it surrounded the end point with two layers of alarms.
My favorite plasmids? Enrage, Hypnotize Big Daddy, Target dummy, Security bullseye, and Sonic boom. You know what all those have in common? They require strategy. They don't directly damage the opponent, they require that you actually survey the situation quickly and figure out what strategy to follow. I myself have completed a run-through of bioshock with my brother-in-law without firing a bullet. It may be harder than just running into any situation, guns blazing, and just expecting victory (which is just plain retarded to do in bioshock), but it was still damn effective.

Bioshock made you think about what you were doing. Success wasn't guaranteed and you had to understand how to utilize the powers given to you in order to come out on top. You apparently didn't know how to use your powers. That's fine, it's just a shame. With a little more imagination you could have enjoyed that game quite a bit.

Also, I never ran into an unwinnable board.
Enrage, they always attack the first thing they see, and since they always turn in the direction an attack came from, guess what the first thing they're going to see is.

Hypnotize big Daddy: I hope you don't mind not getting other plasmids since you still can't get to the little sister, and she immediately flees for a hole.

Sonic boom: very little damage, the thugs would close the distance fast (Though I admit, thugs never gave me a problem, only lead heads) and the leadheads have ranged weapons so it didn't matter to them.

Target Dummy: never fooled them, even when I used it before they knew I was there. they would still immediately use their psychic powers to find my hiding space and attack.

Security bullseye: Not very useful when there's no security systems around is it? Either way, like me they had no problem killing the little drones, or more often ignring them so they could keep shooting at me.

Even Kevin Levine addmitted they fucked up with the hacking. Not sure where that article is though, it was a long time ago.

Rararaz

Feb 20, 2010
Rararaz said:
Sarkule said:
I wouldn't say it sucks. But the Mona Lisa was a huge dissapointment.
It's nice and all. But it's surrounded by amazing paintings, even the wall directly opposite is covered by a huge painting, thats probably about 10m x 5m, and full of beautiful detail. Yet everyone clamours around this tiny little painting.
because size matters people. ;)
Archangel357 said:
Rararaz said:
Sarkule said:
I wouldn't say it sucks. But the Mona Lisa was a huge dissapointment.
It's nice and all. But it's surrounded by amazing paintings, even the wall directly opposite is covered by a huge painting, thats probably about 10m x 5m, and full of beautiful detail. Yet everyone clamours around this tiny little painting.
because size matters people. ;)
Actually, in Asia, the worth of a painting is determined by its square yardage. And say what you want, but I'm guessing that Sarkule is talking about Veronese's Feast at Cana, and BLOODY HELL that is a masterpiece.
Brilliant, in which case David Aberg's large but (in my opinion) utter shit piece of art is worth a large amount...

...in Asia!

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
archvile93 said:
Enrage, they always attack the first thing they see, and since they always turn in the direction an attack came from, guess what the first thing they're going to see is.
Hit them when they are in a group. They don't go for what they see first, they go for what's nearest.
Hypnotize big Daddy: I hope you don't mind not getting other plasmids since you still can't get to the little sister, and she immediately flees for a hole.
It's not a tactic for getting the little sister. You know what happens to the big daddys after you take the little sister? They keep fucking patrolling the same god damn area. Instead of just getting pissed off about that, use them to your advantage.
Sonic boom: very little damage, the thugs would close the distance fast (Though I admit, thugs never gave me a problem, only lead heads) and the leadheads have ranged weapons so it didn't matter to them.
Anyone who bothered to look at the plasmids potential can tell you it's actual purpose isn't direct damage or to push splicers away. It's to push them into one another/into areas that will ensure their death
Target Dummy: never fooled them, even when I used it before they knew I was there. they would still immediately use their psychic powers to find my hiding space and attack.
I don't know how this happened to you, but dummy was the leading strategy in my game and worked every time I used it.
Security bullseye: Not very useful when there's no security systems around is it? Either way, like me they had no problem killing the little drones, or more often ignring them so they could keep shooting at me.
In areas where there is no security, don't use this strategy (honestly, complaining that this doesn't do anything in areas without security is like complaining that you can't have a snowball fight in the desert). In areas where there are security, trigger the god damn security. It's not going to kill them, but if you get out of sight when the turrets roll around it provides a distraction. In that time work out how you are going to take out the fucker. None of this is hard to figure out.
Even Kevin Levine addmitted they fucked up with the hacking. Not sure where that article is though, it was a long time ago.
I remember reading an article saying that it wasn't what they wanted it to be, but not that they "fucked up." They still made a system that worked perfectly fine.

Listen, I can accept that you didn't have a good time with it. That's alright. I just feel bad that you missed out on the creativity with which you can dispatch your enemies in this game because you were seemingly too focused on causing direct damage instead of taking the time to learn the games mechanics a little better and discovering the more effective ways of doing things (I also find it odd that you found the game hard in any way, but that's another issue all together).

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
This is a message for Archangel357. I registered here just to reply to you, so I'm not really concerned about being banned. Feel special!

To begin: elitism is a mask for insecurity.

Seriously, what the hell is your problem. If none of the people in this thread have opinions that matter, why are you responding to them?

Your insistence on using archaic spellings and your constant dismissals of modern artists in favor of older ones show that you're one of those people who sees the past through the rose-tinted lenses of ignorance and who views anything new and different as inferior.

Art changes. Language changes. These are just facts of life.

I'm going to specifically point to your claim that Lady Gaga is an inferior artist to Mozart. (Note: if you criticize me for splitting an infinitive, I'm going to kill your dog. That was never a real rule of English, it was invented because a handful of people believed that English should be more like Latin, where it's literally impossible to "split an infinitive.")

So, I'm going to ignore the fact that you're comparing two completely different styles of music from two completely different eras (which is a very important fact, by the way) and start by saying that you'll find quite a few classical music scholars who believe that Mozart was incredibly overrated. For another thing, he was basically a pop star in his time, just like Lady Gaga is now. Furthermore, Lady Gaga is actually quite talented. She was educated at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, just so you know. She does actually know what she's doing.

Also, your saying that certain respected artists are "objectively" better than others is nonsense. Why do so many experts disagree on who was "the best" in their field, even if they all have the same level of knowledge?

You can respect someone, like Shakespeare, for being the first to do certain things, but that doesn't make them the "best." People are always finding ways to improve on what others have done before them. Additionally, no artist is perfect. Michelangelo, no matter how much you may idolize him, had no idea how to draw or sculpt women; his women looked like men with creepy breasts glued on at odd angles. (In my opinion Bernini was a vastly superior sculptor. But I would never argue the point because I realize that it's completely subjective.)

Speaking of Shakespeare, by the way, plenty of ignorant, unwashed masses enjoyed Shakespeare during his time. Are you trying to say that uneducated peasants are somehow more cultured and intelligent than today's high school students, when education is more comprehensive and accessible than ever? Your example of a student asking why Romeo didn't just text Juliet isn't one of lack of appreciation for art, but one of lack of knowledge of history. No high school student would believe that cell phones existed 400 years ago. What a ridiculous thing to say.

What I'm trying to say is this: you're the reason intelligent people are so often ignored in society. You. It's not because you're a poor, misunderstood genius surrounded by plebes who just can't appreciate him, it's because you're a douchenozzle. Fact.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
jboking said:
archvile93 said:
Hit them when they are in a group. They don't go for what they see first, they go for what's nearest.
It's not a tactic for getting the little sister. You know what happens to the big daddys after you take the little sister? They keep fucking patrolling the same god damn area. Instead of just getting pissed off about that, use them to your advantage.
Anyone who bothered to look at the plasmids potential can tell you it's actual purpose isn't direct damage or to push splicers away. It's to push them into one another/into areas that will ensure their death
I don't know how this happened to you, but dummy was the leading strategy in my game and worked every time I used it.
In areas where there is no security, don't use this strategy (honestly, complaining that this doesn't do anything in areas without security is like complaining that you can't have a snowball fight in the desert). In areas where there are security, trigger the god damn security. It's not going to kill them, but if you get out of sight when the turrets roll around it provides a distraction. In that time work out how you are going to take out the fucker. None of this is hard to figure out.
I remember reading an article saying that it wasn't what they wanted it to be, but not that they "fucked up." They still made a system that worked perfectly fine.

Listen, I can accept that you didn't have a good time with it. That's alright. I just feel bad that you missed out on the creativity with which you can dispatch your enemies in this game because you were seemingly too focused on causing direct damage instead of taking the time to learn the games mechanics a little better and discovering the more effective ways of doing things (I also find it odd that you found the game hard in any way, but that's another issue all together).
Okay considering every time I die I just respawn without any penalty except that I have to get back to where I died I guess it's not hard, just frustrating. By the way, yes I know if I come back to a previous area you can find sisterless big daddies lumbering around, but that leaves one question. Why the hell did I return to a previous area? And security bullseye doesn't work because even if you run they won't care they'll just follow you, ignoring the security drones on their ass, unless they eventually give up at which point they make quick work of the drones. And knock them into what with sonic boom? The only environments I know of the do damage are explosives (Very rare if I recall) fire (like that actaully did damage, inferno three barely did anything) or water (it was way to cumbersome to switch to lightning, by the time I did they had already gotten out). By the way, saying you could have done better really means you fucked, it's called PR, because who's going to say in a press conference "Yeah that was a terrible idea. I don't know what I was thinking, I must've been drunk"?

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
EmperorSubcutaneous said:
Welcome to the escapist forums. Around here if you want to get someones attention, it is best to use the quote button in the bottom right corner of one of their posts. Just so you know how to contact the person you want.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
archvile93 said:
Okay considering every time I die I just respawn without any penalty except that I have to get back to where I died I guess it's not hard, just frustrating. By the way, yes I know if I come back to a previous area you can find sisterless big daddies lumbering around, but that leaves one question. Why the hell did I return to a previous area?
because some of the game involves backtracking in an area. Pretty simple answer really. Not sure why that was your one question.
And security bullseye doesn't work because even if you run they won't care they'll just follow you, ignoring the security drones on their ass, unless they eventually give up at which point they make quick work of the drones.
Never had an issue with them just keep focusing on me unless I was still shooting them up. Run away. Distractions sometimes are used so you can temporarily escape.
And knock them into what with sonic boom? The only environments I know of the do damage are explosives (Very rare if I recall) fire (like that actaully did damage, inferno three barely did anything) or water (it was way to cumbersome to switch to lightning, by the time I did they had already gotten out).
Since there was a quick switching system, I really wouldn't say it was cumbersome. Also, they can be knocked off of high ledges for damage that will likely kill them on impact with the floor. Hit them against explosives, walls, other splicers, anything hard. Don't just use it to push them back. Push them into something. I have literally seen splicers die on impact with a god damn wall.
By the way, saying you could have done better really means you fucked, it's called PR, because who's going to say in a press conference "Yeah that was a terrible idea. I don't know what I was thinking, I must've been drunk"?
By that logic, all of Dragon Age: Origins was just one giant fuck up, because they had something else in mind but had to settle with what they could do at the time. No, saying it's not quite what you wanted is not the same as saying you fucked up. Sometimes it literally means you just got something other than what you expected. That doesn't automatically make it bad.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
Not sure if anyone's said it yet, but the painting "Voice of Fire" made me lose all faith in what people love to call "art".

TheStatutoryApe

May 22, 2010
I read Don Quixote and did not care for it much. It may be because I know too little of the history/mythos of knight errantry, Spanish history, and the bible to have understood the more intellectual humour. Seriously though I was rather astonished at the number of shit and fart jokes to be found in a piece of "classic literature".

Hairetos

Jul 5, 2010
Ilyak1986 said:
Hairetos said:
M Rotter said:
Hairetos said:
This. AP English was generally horrible. My last two years in English were terrible (Metamorphosis, the Stranger, Sun Also Rises, Great Gatsby, Ethan Frome, among other things...did sorta like Crime and Punishment but ended up Sparknotesing the last third because I just procrastinated too much). 1984 was worth the read though, especially because of all of the allusions to it these days in our daily lives.

That said, Les Mis, Count of Monte Cristo, were nice reads in tenth grade. Wuthering Heights was just *SHOOT ME NAO PLZKTHX*. Ugh. Dumb book.

Though in freshman year in HS...Odyssey, Ayn Rand's Anthem (I liked this one a lot, don't hate me for liking Ayn Rand), Sound of Waves, and the most epic of stories: 47 RONIN, BIATCHES! Now *THAT* book was just flat out amazing! A story about sheer badassery. Who doesn't like that?
Wow, we read a lot of the same books. We're going to read Monte Cristo I think, so that's nice. Our teacher also suggested Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, the point at which all of the men in the class strongly protested. That's another theme that's way too common: oppression of women. Yes, I get it, your lives sucked. And I'm probably more pro-equality than most women would want me to be, but I don't need to read about it in every other m*****fucking book! I'm so sick of hearing about social struggle that I already knew existed. I don't need ancient books with desert-dry plots to tell me about it again and again.

I also liked the dystopian nature of 1984, A Brave New World, Anthem, and even Animal Farm (although animal farm was more impressive due to its creative use of paralleling metaphors).

I think this is therapeutic for me.

Jovip

Aug 12, 2010
To kill a mocking bird.
supposdly a timeless classic to me?
a big pile of suck and boring irrelevant things.
i write a paper in school about how pointless and socially irrelevant it is to our generation.
got a 95 :)

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
jboking said:
What game were you playing, I never backtracked, at least not far enough that enemies within the same level respawned.

They chase you. It doesn't help unless you can get a good five miles between you and them. they're pretty damn relentless.

How hurt were they when they went into the wall? I never saw that do more than an eigth of their health, and there aren't nearly enough high ledges to take advantage of shoving them off. It's also hard to get into a posistion to take advantage of such moves since they'll kill you faster than a claymore in call of duty, and not when you're wearing the flak jacket.

I guess it doesn't, but unwinable scenerios should never be in a game and is always a terrible idea. And you know it's bad when even Yathzee said that they improved it in the sequel by adding quick time events. Now that I think about it, what was the point of hacking anyway? All it did was reduce prices by about $2.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
As an anime fan, I hated Death Note. It was truly a terrible experience for me.

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
TheStatutoryApe said:
Seriously though I was rather astonished at the number of shit and fart jokes to be found in a piece of "classic literature".
Hah! Don't be. There's some absolutely raunchy stuff in Shakespeare, just to name one classic literary figure. There's a relatively well-known speech (at least among sad geeks like me) in As You Like It, for example, that revolves around an Elizabethan penis joke.

M Rotter

Dec 18, 2010
Hairetos said:
Ilyak1986 said:
Hairetos said:
M Rotter said:
Hairetos said:
This. AP English was generally horrible. My last two years in English were terrible (Metamorphosis, the Stranger, Sun Also Rises, Great Gatsby, Ethan Frome, among other things...did sorta like Crime and Punishment but ended up Sparknotesing the last third because I just procrastinated too much). 1984 was worth the read though, especially because of all of the allusions to it these days in our daily lives.

That said, Les Mis, Count of Monte Cristo, were nice reads in tenth grade. Wuthering Heights was just *SHOOT ME NAO PLZKTHX*. Ugh. Dumb book.

Though in freshman year in HS...Odyssey, Ayn Rand's Anthem (I liked this one a lot, don't hate me for liking Ayn Rand), Sound of Waves, and the most epic of stories: 47 RONIN, BIATCHES! Now *THAT* book was just flat out amazing! A story about sheer badassery. Who doesn't like that?
Wow, we read a lot of the same books. We're going to read Monte Cristo I think, so that's nice. Our teacher also suggested Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, the point at which all of the men in the class strongly protested. That's another theme that's way too common: oppression of women. Yes, I get it, your lives sucked. And I'm probably more pro-equality than most women would want me to be, but I don't need to read about it in every other m*****fucking book! I'm so sick of hearing about social struggle that I already knew existed. I don't need ancient books with desert-dry plots to tell me about it again and again.

I also liked the dystopian nature of 1984, A Brave New World, Anthem, and even Animal Farm (although animal farm was more impressive due to its creative use of paralleling metaphors).

Wuthering heights isnt really about the opression of women though. Its just as much about heathcliffe as it is about catherine and yes catherine is oppressed but only because of the choices she made. Its really good id suggest reading it. And yeah i suppose its a love story but its the flaws and flawed choices of the characters that drive the plot. And monte cristo is awesome :)

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Romeo and Juliet just wasn't my cup of tea... but what I will say in its defense is that nearly all of the "cliches" people claim it has... that play actually STARTED them.

However... I just cannot stand Beowulf and Canterbury Tales... those two are just torture for anyone that doesn't happen to be a middle-english scholar.

Hairetos

Jul 5, 2010
M Rotter said:
Hairetos said:
Ilyak1986 said:
Hairetos said:
M Rotter said:
Hairetos said:

Wuthering heights isnt really about the opression of women though. Its just as much about heathcliffe as it is about catherine and yes catherine is oppressed but only because of the choices she made. Its really good id suggest reading it. And yeah i suppose its a love story but its the flaws and flawed choices of the characters that drive the plot. And monte cristo is awesome :)
Oh, no, I was mostly referring to Jane Eyre on that one. As to Wuthering Heights, I really am just not interested in romances. I'm not going to bag on them, since some people like them and that's perfectly fine, but it's not my thing.

emmademented

Jun 9, 2010
I utterly LOATHE Lord Of the Flies. And not just cause I had to study it for English in 6th form. I find parts of it very annoying. I mean the premise is good - great, even - but Golding just couldn't pull it off.

Jerious1154

Aug 18, 2008
Moby Dick is roughly 20% plot, 80% rambling about the skeletal structure of whales. The plot is interesting. The book as a whole is mind-numbing.

In terms of music, every single Radiohead album. Radiohead is the single most overrated thing in the history of art. It's mopey, it's pretentious, and it's boring.