Greatest TV show ever?

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
Animated: The Venture Bros. (Tight continuity and sharp humor makes this one of my favorites of all time.)

Comedy: Arrested Development (See above)

Drama: Hmm...I guess Fringe. (Shiny sci-fi with great characters. That'll work)

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
Animated: The Simpsons 1-8

Comedy: The Simpsons 1-8

Drama: Mother Simpson an episode of the Simpsons.

Agent_Nahmen_Jayden

Jun 28, 2010
Animated: Rocket Power: Tito is a beast. *woogidiewoogidiewoogidie* *ahem* That is all.
Comedy: The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air: My man-crush on Will Smith outweighs all else (except my one on Liam Neeson).
Drama: House: Hugh Laurie is great in his role and the stories can be interesting if nothing else, plus I haven't watched many dramas any way.

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
Please note that most of my picks will be of animated variety, either anime or Cartoonnetwork (before it became shite), because that's how I roll. :p

Animated: Yu Yu Hakusho - I love this show. It's simply everything I could want. Action, comedy, animation, story, interesting and likable characters, intimidating and powerful villains, exc. This show simply rocked my world and had so many characters that meshed so well together and created such a fantastic atmosphere that I find it hard to pick anything else as my favorite Animated TV show ever.
Kuwabara: "I'm supposed to get strong from seeing him get hurt, hit new levels! It's the part where I power up and save the day! No! We've survived too much... learned too much to let it end this way!"

Comedy: Megas XLR - The crown jewel of CN, this show was hilarious and a blast to watch. With funny lines spewing from everywhere (Especially Coop's companion Jamie, voiced by the great Steven Blum), this show would have you laughing from beginning to end. Not to mention it had some fantastic music, animation, and action sequences, but I always remembered it just for its fantastic sense of humor.
Coop: "I've killed bigger before."
Jamie: "No you haven't! The thing's a flippin' PLANET!"

Drama: Cowboy Bebop - I sort of disqualified YYH to win this, since I already picked it for best animated, and while Bebop was just recently discovered by me, I thought it was fantastic. It was dark, funny, edgy, action packed, full of mystery, and overall a fantastic show. Not to mention that the ending was a shock of epic proportions (Which would have been more of a shock, had spoilers of its end not been spilling out of every end of the internet), which left you wanting more, but knowing that there was nothing left to be said. Not to mention, it spawned one of the most used ending lines ever:
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop): "Bang."
Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho): "Bang!"
Kei Kurono (Gantz): "Bang!" [Incidentally, this was a great Drama Anime too.]
TOM4 (Toonami): "Bang."

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
Animated: Outlaw Star

Comedy:Regular Show, Arrested Development or Scrubs

Drama: The Riches

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
Animated: Futurama or Archer
Comedy: It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Drama: Sons of Anarchy or Terriers (Dammit, I'm an FX fanboy.)

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Animated: Family Guy or Freakazoid.
Comedy: Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Why?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS1cLOIxsQ8
Too damn epic!

Drama:Dexter or 24.
Can't put in Drama or Comedy: Doctor Who(It's not exactly a drama or a comedy, it's something in between) or Buffy(Say what you like, I used to liked it!)

-Ulven-

Nov 18, 2009
I only have one: Firefly.
So awesome that it needed to be stopped. And damn people for saying otherwise.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Imat said:
Animated: Excel Saga
Comedy: Arrested Development
Drama: Doctor Who
can someone pleese explain who this "Dr.Who" show is...I know i dont watch T.V all that often but I have no idea where to watch it. Can I get this online?

Animated: Gurren Laggen
Comedy: Futerama
Drama:...im gonna hae to go with...bones...no..NCIS!!!

warm slurm

Dec 10, 2010
Animated: Futurama, obviously. Why? Hilarious, intelligent as hell, and this:

<youtube=6uU7-X0iHes>

Now you're crying. ;)

Comedy: Arrested Development. Any other answer is wrong.

<youtube=8x-7v3PJ6Eg>
<youtube=tO1k2Y3o-iM>

Drama: Buffy the Vampire Slayer (sort of edges on comedy/drama, but eh).

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Canid117 said:
There have been many truly wonderful TV shows out there and its hard to tell which one is best. So Escapists, what do you think is the greatest show ever in the following categories.

Animated:

Comedy:

Drama:

Debate is welcome as long as it stays polite.

Also fuck you Captchas
Animated: If we're counting anime in this then I'd say Umineko no Naku Koro ni, purely for the fact that it was such a great mindfuck and I loved the whole series (I so hope they announce an adaptation of Umineko Chiru to finish off the story...). It's not well received by most, sadly, because it omits a lot of stuff from the visual novels on which it was based, but I loved it, more so even than the also excellent Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. And anything that can fit chess references in as a major plot point and focus half the action on locked room mysteries has to be good (I particularly love those kinds of mystery, for the sheer intellectual aspects - must be why I like Jonathan Creek so much :p).

If anime doesn't count, then Fillmore. It's easily one of my favourite kid's shows from when I was yunger, and I loved how even though it was Disney and set in a school, there were just so many pop culture references and character archetypes taken straight out of a Sixties cop show (from the Hannibal Lector themed fourth episode, but with graffiti artists, to the Mafia-esque Red Robins). A very daring show for it's time, it's a shame it only managed two seasons before ending...

Comedy: As a Brit I have to say The Inbetweeners, as it is simply a show that encompasses everything that is so true about high schools today. Everyone at some point or another was an 'inbetweener', neither the most cool and popular person around, nor the weirdo or the geek who got picked on and bullied. Just sitting comfortably in the middle, with a few good friends and a fairly happy place to be. And everyone has done something in their lives typical of an Inbetweener, and it's given us so many comedic gems such as "Bus Wanker" and punching a fish to death...

Oh, and one of my two flatmates knows and has worked on some film with Blake Harrison, who plays Neil, so I have to mention The Inbetweeners here just for that alone :p.

Drama: I'm in several different minds here. On the one hand, Being Human is a great drama/comedy, with some amazing moments. The start of series 3 alone (just aired the other day) has some brilliant and emotionally moving drama, while also really giving a great sense of character development for one person in particular (won't go into details due to spoilers). I also have to give a shout-out to Lost, there are few shows that have kept me as interested and engaged that have been able to stay relevant and dramatic, and indeed interesting, as Lost has done (of course, your mileage may vary). Finally, I love the tension and the atmosphere of Spooks, and the brilliant plot, superb acting, and the 'anyone-can-die' attitude to the entire show really makes it the only contender for the top spot in my opinion. And it's British to boot, which means we Brits are doing something right, if we can put out much better drama than the Americans... ;D

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Gudrests said:
Imat said:
Animated: Excel Saga
Comedy: Arrested Development
Drama: Doctor Who
can someone pleese explain who this "Dr.Who" show is...I know i dont watch T.V all that often but I have no idea where to watch it. Can I get this online?
You are a bad person... Very bad person... It's called ilegal donwnload for a reason...

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Animated: Batman: The Animated Series. Best I've seen. I'm not familiar with anime though so there might be better shows in Japan that I haven't been exposed to.

Comedy: British - Yes, Minister. American - Arrested Development

Drama: The Wire. Easiest choice I ever had to make. Best thing ever to happen to television, in my humble opinion.