Griefing - Is it OK?

KoRn_Leader

Mar 17, 2009
So this is a touchy subject, but i want to know what the majority of the people in the gameing world think of the concept.

Sure i do it sometimes, not because i suck at games or anything, im very good at them actualy, i just think its so damn funny. There is just something funny about someone yelling at you over the internet that makes me tingle.

Like in Warcraft 3, massing a bunch of wisps and then rushing the enemy base, or in CS:S, where you stand in front of someone while they are trying to shoot, flash them, or teamkill them. Or putting up a very "nice" spray in L4D.

Im sure some of you have seen some of Team Roombas works(look them up on youtube), and the reactions are priceless. Its like some people dont even realize its a game, and not reality.

But it is bad(on both ends), and will likely get you banned from servers. Lucky that i have a changeable ip adress. :)

I feel as if its ok for me to grief, but when im playing for real, it realy pisses me off when someone does it to me. Its a Win/Lose situation.

The proper definition of "Griefing" :

The use or abuse of a game mechanic that was not intended by the game's developers.

The inability of the victim to exact some means of retribution beyond utilizing similar unintended game mechanics.

The intended purpose of an act of griefing must be to negatively impact the gameplay of another person.

Deadarm

Sep 8, 2008
Griefing is fine if I get fed up with it being done to me I just plug pull, when I do it my goal is to make the other guy plug pull. But my favourite part about your definition of grifing is that I play Darkfall where it is an intended game mechanic.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
You need to redefine "griefing" since griefing in EVE isn't the use or abuse of a game mechanic that was not intended by the game's developers, nor is it the inability of the victim to exact some means of retribution beyond utilizing similar unintended game mechanics. In EVE, griefing is when a player or group of players needlessly harass and attack others for the sole reason of it being enjoyable for them. Piracy and thieving are not griefing in EVE as they are for personal gain. I think griefing in the way you described it is wrong, but griefing like in EVE is not.

fedpayne

Sep 4, 2008
Not OK.
It's fun at the expense of other people. Admit it - if they found it funny you probably wouldn't. Just like saying the n word and other such hilarious things is only fun for the idiots who do it if people go 'omg you r so bad, u goin hell boy'.

Just don't, like Sanity said, people want to play games without stress.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Griefing sucks. Not only gives the community of the game a bad rep, but it completly ruins the experience of people that just want to play.

One of the reasons I quit playing CS:S was the colossal amount of A-holes in it.

Some people play CS:S to see how many flash bombs they can use before getting killed...

KoRn_Leader

Mar 17, 2009
Eipok Kruden said:
You need to redefine "griefing" since griefing in EVE isn't the use or abuse of a game mechanic that was not intended by the game's developers, nor is it the inability of the victim to exact some means of retribution beyond utilizing similar unintended game mechanics. In EVE, griefing is when a player or group of players needlessly harass and attack others for the sole reason of it being enjoyable for them. Piracy and thieving are not griefing in EVE as they are for personal gain. I think griefing in the way you described it is wrong, but griefing like in EVE is not.
You've realy got a boner for big spaceships dont ya?

Gitsnik

May 13, 2008
"Griefing" just sounds like a nice way to say "piss someone off". I've never encountered it (thank God) but I presume you mean in games where TK is not possible, standing around with flash-bangs and screwing with your own team. In which case "HELL NO".

If you think that's ok, I seriously have to wonder about your mental state - not even I think that's ok.

It's funny, I didn't think video games had trolls, but apparently they do! Anyone caught doing this in real life would be shot regardless of "no team kill" mechanics. It's just a dumb thing to do.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
KoRn_Leader said:
Eipok Kruden said:
Um... I was just saying EVE since I don't know much about griefing in any other game.

ManiacalZManiac

Mar 19, 2009
Hell, I grief in CoD4 and Garry's Mod. Blocking people and standing in front of snipers somehow gives me a state of happiness. ^_^

Rahnzan

Oct 13, 2008
All things in moderation. I typically revenge grief so its not like the deed goes unpunished. Most games also have mechanics for declawing griefers (kick functions, etc.) so its not like you'll never fall out of the frying pan and into the fire. Just the other day me and two of my friends got into a laughing fit and the moment absolutely called for team killing each other in Cod4. If griefing is more fun than the actual game, there's a problem with the game, but again - all things in moderation.

It IS a game after all. I like to shoot teammates in Cod4 that glitch the map or camp one spot forever, guaranteed these people are causing grief to the enemy team and that just provokes them to hide and drags the game on. The ability to do whatever you want in a game is a strong point of interest to me, if my friend wants to stuff a grenade down my throat, he's going to get a knife in the back.

If you're too much of a pomp to follow eye-for-an-eye you kind of deserve to be picked on. "I wont stoop to their level." Oh well then, have fun getting stabbed!

Not that I'm an accessive griefer, I think the total number of team kills I've ever performed accidental or otherwise in Cod4 dont even reach above 10-15 kills and I've had the game since it came out so, I like to think that's pretty good of me.

Edit: The other form of griefing, needlessly harrassing one particular player for totally hostile reasons as a group or otherwise isn't cool. Shooting the camping sniper in the glitch spot with a 1/8 kill-death ratio is perfectly acceptable.

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
Bottomline. No. But everyone has done it once. Maybe out of frustration or rage, or to be a d-bag for once, or maybe it was by accident, or retaliation cause you were griefed cause you accidentally griefed sum1 so you had to grief them back...but yea. everyone has done it once in some way or another.

Lt. Dragunov

Sep 25, 2008
Why do it, it's really not funny. I don't do it and I have fun playin the game, but thats just me. Other people seem to get a kick out of being bastards online, but I say if they wanna do it thats fine, just do it FAR away from me, I don't have the tolerace for it

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Eipok Kruden said:
KoRn_Leader said:
Eipok Kruden said:
Um... I was just saying EVE since I don't know much about griefing in any other game.
Some examples of griefing: Counter-Strike: Source: blocking your line of fire or flash bomb spam.

World of Warcraft: Kill healers/tanks while they fighting bosses, waiting for a player to cut his way to a mine/treasure box just get it while he fights the last boss.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Eipok Kruden said:
KoRn_Leader said:
Eipok Kruden said:
Some examples of griefing: Counter-Strike: Source: blocking your line of fire or flash bomb spam.

World of Warcraft: Kill healers/tanks while they fighting bosses, waiting for a player to cut his way to a mine/treasure box just get it while he fights the last boss.
That's not hacking or exploiting the game, that's just exploiting others for your own personal gain.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
When I played WoW I remember there was this major Dbag shaman named Terribad (and he proved it) who would grief people constantly even though he sucked. I took it upon myself to kill him at every available chance. But for the most part, I disapprove of any griefing at all.

JoshasorousRex

Dec 5, 2008
I personally find it hilarious when I'm doing it. But it's not really like putting a tele behind one's sentry but more like pissing off annoying dick heads. Like a few days ago. some idiot was calling everyone faggots and being a douche. What I did was say "You mums a ******" or "Your mums (insert what he said said here)" It was funny as hell. Oh that and spawn camping are for EPIC LULZ GOOD TIMES.

Lios

Oct 17, 2008
Griefing is my anti-drug. Seriously. It's one hell of a stress reliever. Oh and don't think you can just get rid of a griefer on sight. We have ways of keeping ourselves concealed and protected. Personally I use the subtle griefing method. Basically just tampering with things while out of sight that once people notice it, they'll be immediately ticked off and not know who dunnit while I sit chuckling in my chair.

However, I've kicked the habit of being a griefer a while ago, since I'm an admin on a few servers now. Trying to keep my rep up you see? Sometimes I might use an alias if I really just need to piss someone off.

Oh and you can't call yourself a griefer if you've only done it once or twice because you thought it would be funny or were ina bad mood. Nah, real griefers take dedication to their artwork.