GRIN Alleges Square Enix Forced It Out of Business

Korias

Sep 9, 2009
I'm sorry, but after I got to the part where the studio was asked to FAX THE CODE INCLUDING MUSIC, I just laughed.

You can't fax music.

I think there's something missing here that is sort of vital to this entire situation.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Lol @ the people who believe this. Most sites have had an anti Square-Enix bias for a while, so it's not surprising to see the "intelligent" minority suck up this bullshit so easily. Square-Enix didn't become a mega-corporation through stupid decisions and faxed programming code.

jpoon said:
Damn, that sucks for GRIN. Squeenix are yet another douchebag corporation that I now refuse to buy games from. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised for what they were requesting. Geez, the CEO of squeen must be a prick.
I hope you honestly don't believe what these idiots are saying. GRIN had barely any success as a company but was still hiring more people; if anything, it's their own fault that they went bankrupt. When you're bleeding money and your most successful game barely capped 1mil with no games on the way, you don't hire more people.

You're saying it like Square Enix is the only company with dirty laundry.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
While I don't know if the story is true, I also can't say I wouldn't be surprised.

Square-Enix is pretty much dead. Or at least the thriving, creative, endearing company that gave us hit after hit with bold new games like Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, the Mana series, Bushido Blade, Parasite Eve, and even Tobal and Ehrgeiz is long gone.

They've been milking Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts like no tomorrow, diluting the brands to unheard of levels, yet all their talent left for Mistwalker or Level-5 Studio.

And they've pretty much tarnished or ruined many of their previously thriving games. It'll take a LOT of quality games to make me forgive them for 3rd Birthday.

Reallink

Feb 17, 2011
Gindil said:
Reallink said:
I think SE has the right to have control over the products they do outsource, because it is going to affect their brand if it does poorly (or well for that matter). But I think saying they were trying to revolutionize FF is a bit over the top. Its not exactly their place to recreate an existing franchise

WHAT?!

I'm sorry, no... I can't quite figure that out. What exactly do you mean a game studio has no place to recreate a franchise?

Gearbox made HL: Opposing Forces, and did well with Valve's help. Adrian is a character that people like just as much as Freeman, even though he's a Marine with little in the way of personality.

TF2 has hats.

Nintendo allowed an American company work on Metroid and created a Prime series that went on to spawn some great games.

I don't agree at *all* that a studio has no place to recreate an existing franchise.
It's not that I am opposed to them recreating the series, but if they decided to ignore what they were being asked to do so they could make whatever they wanted, then it's a different story.

It would be like I ask someone to make a bike. They come back later, and they have a quad bike. Now, everyone loves a quad bike, but I wanted a bike. The problem isn't that they didn't make a good product, but that they didn't make what they were asked to do.

So I don't have a problem with them making something original. It's just if they aren't doing what they were asked.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
I'm not sure what goes on inside Square Enix. At first I thought it was the usual illogical corporate policy, but surely no one would make significant investments in things which they had no clue about what to do with? Unless they -did- know what they were doing, which means they just wanted GRIN put down? Ugh...

I hope Deus Ex: Human Revolution won't be stopped in its tracks. But then, would I really want to give Square Enix the profit it needs in order for it to continue with its current behaviour by purchasing any game developed/published by them?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
In other new: It was totally that other guys fault. I did nothing wrong.

Come on, people. This is a pretty one sided story. As in, we're only hearing from one side of the story. Does anyone think the people from Grin would admit fault? Far better to throw the straw-man under the bus.

We may never know the truth and I won't say that Square didn't screw them over to some level, but I highly doubt Square sabotaged this studio.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Blitzwing said:
daemon37 said:
What?s wrong with that picture?
Abs look like he rolled around in dirt?

Pants pulled up to his ribs?

Angles of geometry make little sense?

Buildings behind him appear to have floors every 1.5m?

No noticeable shadows?

No men pictured?

Am I getting close?

On topic. Why do I find this easy to believe?

Oh yeah... Cos Square Enix have a history of 5 years of so of being nothing but uninspired dickbags.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Reallink said:
It's not that I am opposed to them recreating the series, but if they decided to ignore what they were being asked to do so they could make whatever they wanted, then it's a different story.

It would be like I ask someone to make a bike. They come back later, and they have a quad bike. Now, everyone loves a quad bike, but I wanted a bike. The problem isn't that they didn't make a good product, but that they didn't make what they were asked to do.

So I don't have a problem with them making something original. It's just if they aren't doing what they were asked.
But Square didn't know what they had wanted... Not sure if the story is entirely true, but Square really hasn't had grand success lately.

I find it most telling how GRIN took a picture of FFXIII (allegedly) and said "It doesn't look like Final Fantasy". It kind of tells that Square was wishy washy about the game for quite some time.

Trishbot said:
While I don't know if the story is true, I also can't say I wouldn't be surprised.

Square-Enix is pretty much dead. Or at least the thriving, creative, endearing company that gave us hit after hit with bold new games like Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, the Mana series, Bushido Blade, Parasite Eve, and even Tobal and Ehrgeiz is long gone.

They've been milking Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts like no tomorrow, diluting the brands to unheard of levels, yet all their talent left for Mistwalker or Level-5 Studio.

And they've pretty much tarnished or ruined many of their previously thriving games. It'll take a LOT of quality games to make me forgive them for 3rd Birthday.
Crimson Echoes. And any games they have made, have no originality to them whatsoever. But I digress while they rehash all of their old games and come up with a new fantasy that isn't final. -_-;

GideonB

Jul 26, 2008
Wow, if this is true then SE have become fools. I mean real fools. Not fools like they were before. I can imagine them doing something stupid, but this just sounds TOO stupid, if you understand what I mean.

And FFXI was last best one in my opinion. (I liked FFXI, didn't like FFXII didn't play FFXIII and I want to but haven't touched FFXIV... yet.)

Reallink

Feb 17, 2011
Gindil said:
And any games they have made, have no originality to them whatsoever. But I digress while they rehash all of their old games and come up with a new fantasy that isn't final. -_-;
The problem that Final Fantasy faces is that every game should be viewed separately, instead of sequels (Except for X-2 etc).

Take Call of Duty. Those games have hardly changed over however many years, but people go back because they want the same thing. But people see a lot of similarities in Final Fantasy's, but ignore all differences. Compare XIII to IV. They are hugely different in terms of game play. But at their core, they are JRPGs made by the same company, so of course there will be influences, on top of the obvious running themes.

I'm not saying that the series couldn't use a change. But I think the change relies more on the consumer to change what they buy if they don't like it, than on the producers to make something new because some people don't like what is proven to be a winning forumla

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
MasaVK said:
SquareEnix has also had lots of problems lately with their games too,
they have all sucked, last good game was they made was FFX.
Spoony would disagree as do I ._.
http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/game-reviews/final-fantasy-x/

Marcusss

Jan 24, 2011
There were one two great studios making great RPGs - in the West it was BioWare and in the East Square Enix. BioWare was eaten by big scary monster called EA and is forced to be his willing gold-piling slave. And Square Enix went insane - making crazy decisions, spitting on fans, trying to imitate EA (probably hoping it would not eat them as well)...
Both of these studios are standing on a metaphorical cliff. Their last chances to clean their names in front of their fans - BioWare's "Mass Effect 3" and Square Enix's "Deus Ex 3"...
Will these games be fresh air or will they be last desperate breaths of dying giants?
Let us prey for them to live, to get out of the mud of greedyness and stand proud. So say we all.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Reallink said:

Well, the original article also states that GRIN had been sending SE milestones continuously. SE sent their approval every time, but didn't actually pay them during the development process.

On the other hand, the news paper in question is less than reputable, so I'll be waiting for SE's reply before coming to any conclusion.

WarCorrespondent

Sep 27, 2010
I could just be that they wanted to make it work with GRIN, but they are so gloriously fail at cooperative work in a business setting that it was AS IF they were trying to run the project into the dirt.

weker

May 27, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
What have GRIN produced in the past? because I seem to recall rather liking them.
only good thing is the bionic commando series (even the remake i liked for gameplay)