Grumblr

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
skuutch said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
White, straight males tend to be supremely ignorant.
You're not suggesting I'm prone to ignorance because of the color of my skin or my sexual preference, are you? Because that's prejudicial as hell.
Here's the thing - being white and male means you aren't exposed to racism, sexism, or homophobia the way someone who isn't white, straight, and male would be. I, being white, straight, and female, can only speak to sexism personally, and tend to be ignorant regarding issues of race and sexual orientation due to never having had those parts of my identity discriminated against. That's all that means. The people who's identity are considered on the margins (by ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, ability, etc.) have experiences that will mean they are more often forced to consider how their identity changes how they are treated, often for the worse. Fact of the matter is, as an example, a bisexual Asian guy (or whatever other combination of identity markers) is going to run into problems that a straight white man never would even have to consider. It's not a knock against the inherent nature of straight white men, so much as the way society is set up such that they don't have to think about identity politics as much as other groups.
what i don't get is how come i'm Iranian but i'm not as exposed to racism. In fact the only place i really see it is on the internet or on T.V/The News.
idk. maybe it's because I live in Canada.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
skuutch said:
Kermi said:
sethisjimmy said:
Oh I get it, because telling people not to tell racist or wear culture appropriating costumes or be bigots is truly equivalent to white nationalism and racism against people of color, right?

We can make that kind of witty observation now that we're post racism, am I right?

Badum tss!
Do you honestly think tumblr stops at "don't be racist"?

Did you know that eating sushi, or in fact using the word sushi is appropriating Japanese culture, and that makes you a racist shitlord? Haven't we done enough to the Japanese, that you need to eat their food too? If you've ever visited Japan, you are a cultural rapist and actually deserve to die. The same applies to wearing cultural clothing, such as a sari. There are people on tumblr who will literally tell you to kill yourself for less. I've seen an Indian girl harassed because she actually had the audacity to say that she likes that other people might want to appreciate her culture by wearing a sari, and respects them for taking an interest. She was threatened Of course these people are just as guilty as you are, but their love of sushi or saris whatever is different because reasons.

These people are actively trying to halt cultural spread and growth by claiming appropriation. In fact, the only culture it's ok to appropriate is American/British culture, because it's impossible to oppress white people. In a manner of speaking, they're saying white people culture should persist and appreciation of any other culture should be suppressed. How is that not racist? Because they say it's out of respect? That would be like locking women up so they can't be sexually harassed, and calling it feminism.

I won't even get into how 90% of tumblr is just people trying too hard to be the most special person on the planet. Being gay is actually privilege compared to being a misunderstood trans genderfluid demisexual DHAB femme POC otherkin dragonspirit triggered by consensual romance with 3 headmates that look like the cast of a D&D game run by 12 year olds.
Strrrrrrawman!

I'd love to see an example of... really, any example of the discourse you mentioned.
Ok, here's one.

http://thisisnotjapan.tumblr.com/