GTA 5 - ain't perfect. A list of the biggest problems.

beez

May 21, 2013
The disappearing cars are really an issue, tho. You park a million car in your garage, load your save, switch to Franklin, the garage is open and no car, it may kill the fun for me. At least, I think I'm going to ice the misc activities, since I completed the game, it's really annoying.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
beez said:
The disappearing cars are really an issue, tho. You park a million car in your garage, load your save, switch to Franklin, the garage is open and no car, it may kill the fun for me. At least, I think I'm going to ice the misc activities, since I completed the game, it's really annoying.
Are you saving after you park the car in? Seems logical that they'd disappear if you quit without saving. (I haven't actually played, so maybe it's explained better in the game, that's just my first thought from your text).

beez

May 21, 2013
AuronFtw said:
beez said:
Are you saving after you park the car in? Seems logical that they'd disappear if you quit without saving. (I haven't actually played, so maybe it's explained better in the game, that's just my first thought from your text).
Nah, cars should save if you park them in your garage and save the game after (it's only logical that you do :) ), but they disappear sometimes. It's been like that in earlier GTAs too, but it's annoying in this one, since the most expensive cars you don't even see on the streets, so you need to buy them. It's not even that they impound it, like after some missions, they just vanish into thin air!

pandorum

Mar 22, 2011
Darks63 said:
So by saying that they made the Driving controls "more precise" your saying that they are even worse than in GTA4? if so no sale even if it drops to 10 bucks or less.

Also are there now mission checkpoints or is it still if you fail you start all the way from the beginning?
There is a quick save option......

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Yosharian said:
The driving is fucking perfect, I can't believe people are actually complaining about it. Like driving on a sheet of ice? That's just plain wrong mate. You might not like the way they handle, but that's pure disinformation.
No it isn't.

The handling of the cars is terrible and if having to pretty much obey the traffic laws to prevent the slightest knock or curb sending you spinning is considered fun....then count me out from that strand of enjoyment.

Plus the game has my biggest irritation of driving in sandbox games. How the AI will deliberately pull out in front of you, I've had cars haul ass across lanes of traffic in order to get into my path.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Amaror said:
Oh for f**** sake. Why does this ALWAYS happen when a really anticipated game come out.
There's a few threads like: "Isn't game x great!"
And then there's thousands and thousands of Threads going:
"I won't be buying game x", "I don't like game x", "Game x isn't perfect and here is why!" and so on and so on.
Really really annoying.

Dont forget the posts complaining about the fact you just said.

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
votemarvel said:
SpunkeyMonkey said:
votemarvel said:
I can't stand how the cars handle, it's like every surface is a solid sheet of ice.

I really don't care if the driving is more realistic than in the Saints Row games because it simply isn't fun.
GTA 4 or 5?

I hated how they handled in 4.

I'm sure some people are going to find it fun but there is no weight to the cars and they slide around like mad if you go above walking pace.

Personally I don't see myself playing this for very long. Driving is likely to be a huge part of the game and if I'm not finding that fun then why play.
I thought you said it was more realistic?

That doesn't sound realistic at all.

Do any of you guys know what "realistic" means before tossing the word around or is that a silly question at this point?

I mean the fact that people say call of duty is realistic should be reason enough to think that kids are spending way too much time on video games and starting to become unable to distinguish from real and fake.

mr_lee34

Sep 18, 2013
I couldn't agree with the Original Poster more when it comes to the car handling. I am an avid GTA series fan and have played and beat each one beginning with GTA III. While some of you may say that the cars in GTA IV were sluggish and had a boatlike feel, they were much more real in my opinion. Different vehicles also handled differently. With GTA V, its like all the cars drive the same. They all can go fast and there really isn't a different feel between say a sports car and a old school peice of crap. I will even go as far to say that I liked the car handling in GTA III even better. GTA V has lost this aspect in my opinion and I am let down by it. Other than that and them dropping the classic controller setup option, its a good game.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Disagree on all counts. I find the driving to be much better, no longer am I crashing into 20 people on the side of the road trying take a turn at 30 MPH. The cars are quick and responsive. I can forgive the "floatiness" if it means I'm don't have to stop to turn the car.

Frankly the Escapist review was terrible. This is a GTA game, the characters aren't suppose to be goody-two-shoes. Claude (main guy from GTA3) wasn't good at all, he had no good qualities about him...I didn't see that being a problem THEN, so why is it suddenly NOW? Niko was fine, I didn't hate him, but really I didn't care much about him either. I'm already vastly more interested in Franklin and Michael then I EVER was in Niko.

Can't speak much for "character development" with only about 6 hours into the game and just about to do the jewel heist (the first one, its in the trailer, no spoiler)...so I can't be sure here, but considering how well acted and written these characters are just a few hours into the game...I'm sure they will "develop" as the game moves on.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
votemarvel said:
Yosharian said:
The driving is fucking perfect, I can't believe people are actually complaining about it. Like driving on a sheet of ice? That's just plain wrong mate. You might not like the way they handle, but that's pure disinformation.
No it isn't.

The handling of the cars is terrible and if having to pretty much obey the traffic laws to prevent the slightest knock or curb sending you spinning is considered fun....then count me out from that strand of enjoyment.

Plus the game has my biggest irritation of driving in sandbox games. How the AI will deliberately pull out in front of you, I've had cars haul ass across lanes of traffic in order to get into my path.
Umm, learn to drive? I don't obey anything...I weave all over the place (on purpose) and get where I want to go with minimal bumps and bruises along the way. Took me like 15 minutes to get the driving in GTA5 down to perfection, its not a problem if you put some effort into it.

The only thing that bugs me, is that it seems like EVERY time you come to a stoplight, its turning red.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Well I'm incredibly pleased that others are enjoying the driving in the game. Personally I continue to find it a huge pain in the arse.
Carpenter said:
That doesn't sound realistic at all.
Perhaps I should have expanded that somewhat but it didn't seem necessary at the time.

I am being told that the driving is more realistic in GTAV than in games like Saints Row IV. However as I mentioned I don't care if it is more realistic, I simply don't find it fun.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
No game is perfect and GTA has its problems of course, but id like to tackle some points.

Lygus said:
1) Vehicle handling. While it's labeled as more precise and "enjoyable", it's not. GTA 4 had it almost perfect, just needed additional tweaking. GTA 5 brought this too far.
I disagree. Vehicle handling was awful in GTA 4. so awful that we havent seen so awful since 2006 fail-clones of san andreas. Anything going away from GTA4 vehicle controls is better.

3) Weak character development. Niko in GTA 4 was an all-around messenger and a grunt (kill X, steal Y, chase Z, etc.). In GTA 5, this issue is still present, except all 3 characters have already established lives and changing lifestyle. Only Franklin tries to establish something of his own. Others are just following orders.
Micheal's family issues are interesting to watch, though.
Niko suffered from disconnect between how character was presented and how it acted in game. In GTA 5 however we already got established that these are bad people and they do bad things. and they do them in the game. following orders is basically 90% of games. its nothing sunique but its nothing to scream about. characters can develop differently too.
[/quote]

LostPause

Sep 20, 2013
Spoilers for GTAIII through IV ahead.

I think it's worthwhile to note that they tried something quite different tonally with GTAIV. In fact, since GTAIII you can see that the tone of the story and the atmosphere in each of Rockstar's cities is remarkably different. Liberty City in GTAIII and IV not only have drab weather and grey buildings but also deal with comparatively silent characters with rather vague aims of starting new lives and getting vengeance. If we analyze their storylines GTAIII comes off as relatively rather directionless, serving more as basic means to get the main character to explore the city and meet the various factions and do jobs. After all, it appears you only get a chance for revenge on the treacherous girlfriend because she decides to pop her head out at the end of the game [side note- was it just me or was that last mission really hard? I ended up relying on the bulletproof jeep to beat it].

Anyway, technically speaking, having a silent protagonist makes it easier to "feel" like you are in the game but it didn't work too well when it came to making interesting cutscenes or building a sense of connection between the characters. Hell, the most memorable thing your character chooses to do [outside of your agency] is the startling act of apparently shooting Maria after the end credits. Jarring as it was [and potentially disturbing to those 'playing themselves' as the protagonist] it actually kinda made ludonarrative sense given that to the guy can't help coming off as a sociopath silently listening and completing orders [if i remember rightly he'd just sway shoulders back and forth], with no apparent connection to his actions or their consequences. Personally I figured the guy had deep-rooted issues with his parents who never loved him enough to teach him how to swim.

Vice City and San Andreas not only benefitted from far more colourful settings but nostalgic timeframes that lend themselves far easier to Rockstar's brand of social satire coming across as less cynical. Making fun of things that went on in the 80 and 90s is less depressing than commentary on more contemporary situations. Thus Vice City's Scarface / Goodfellas storyline and Miami Vice cartoonish colour scheme justify or at least dilute how distasteful the violence would seem. Likewise, CJ's 'reclaim the streets' tale interspersed with outlandish NPCs and self-referential callbacks again dampened the ugliness some people might have found in the violence.

In contrast, like others I found GTAIV to be a slight misstep though I can understand how it was made. Rockstar tried to create a far more gritty, and indeed satirically scathing, experience that hit much harder at the still lingering idea of 'The American Dream' and how in reality the truth falls so far short of everything it promises. On top of that, the storyline quite ironically hammers home that no matter how noble one's intentions might be violence only begets more violence and that a life of crime might pay but it costs too.

But yeah, let's wrap this up- it's debatable how much Rockstar's choice in their method of storytelling affects how fun the game is, but if we're talking about games being art [and it's apparent people are] it would help if we could start distinguishing how different games are offering us varied relationships with our protagonists. Sure, most may tend to either aim to give us as free rein as possible or put us in shoes that make us feel like empowered heroes but increasingly we're being given opportunities to question who we are playing as... and this is a good thing that should be encouraged [even if it won't always work].

TLDR: So, GTA V has us playing as Breaking Bad / Heat characters? Doesn't that create less dissonance than one that suggests he wants to 'be a good guy' before shooting / blowing up half a city because someone else did something bad [or told them to]?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't get why suddenly everybody has to have an opinion on GTA V. Was it supposed to be the Best Game Ever Made? Because the hype went completely over me.

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
votemarvel said:
I can't stand how the cars handle, it's like every surface is a solid sheet of ice.

I really don't care if the driving is more realistic than in the Saints Row games because it simply isn't fun.
You mean in GTA IV right

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
votemarvel said:
Yosharian said:
No it isn't.

What... holy shit how bad of a driver are you? I have not problem going 200MPH in the middle of the city without using franklin's abilities.

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
Strazdas said:
No game is perfect and GTA has its problems of course, but id like to tackle some points.

Lygus said:
1) Vehicle handling. While it's labeled as more precise and "enjoyable", it's not. GTA 4 had it almost perfect, just needed additional tweaking. GTA 5 brought this too far.
I disagree. Vehicle handling was awful in GTA 4. so awful that we havent seen so awful since 2006 fail-clones of san andreas. Anything going away from GTA4 vehicle controls is better.
YES YES YES why do people think that GTA IV had such good handling. It was horrible. At least I can drive without missing a turn and sliding into the next county

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
Zenn3k said:
votemarvel said:
Yosharian said:
No it isn't.

Umm, learn to drive? I don't obey anything...I weave all over the place (on purpose) and get where I want to go with minimal bumps and bruises along the way. Took me like 15 minutes to get the driving in GTA5 down to perfection, its not a problem if you put some effort into it.

The only thing that bugs me, is that it seems like EVERY time you come to a stoplight, its turning red.
Lester just wants you to be a good person man