GTA IV is the Worst Games I've Ever Played

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Oh god, OP is getting nailed by the community in this thread.

Well played everyone.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
There's plenty of missions in both vanilla GTA 4 and the two episodes where you have to keep a certain vehicle, and if that vehicle is destroyed you fail the mission. In fact, that's been the case right back to GTA 3.

The other things you mention are just bugs. Slight problems that don't occur very often. I played GTA 4 and all the DLC and never really experienced that, so I guess your just unlucky, but it really isn't that big a deal. To echo what other people are saying: IF you have over 300 hours in a game you hate, you're either lying or an idiot.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
Therumancer said:
I'm not sure if this is a joke topic or not due to the 300+ hours comment.

That said, I'm not too fond of "Grand Theft Auto IV" myself, it seemed like a step backwards for the series, in comparison I liked "Saint's Row 2" which was it's competitor at the time a *lot* more.
Yep, this, so much this. I pretty much hated GTA IV, although I did eventually force myself to play through the entire thing after a couple of false starts. The DLCs were pretty good though (especially the Ballad of Gay Tony, which I had a good time with). Maybe it was just the dipshit cousin that ruined the original game for me, because I genuinely enjoyed the add ons.

But yeah, SR2 was the awesome. But then of course then we got SR3, which was just as much a step back from SR2 as GTA IV was from GTA:SA. Why do open world games do that?

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
This remonds me of my Witcher 2 experience, fuck that game.
I try to run it on my PC, but apparently Geralt didn't like me so there was a half second delay before he did anything I told him to, and was stuck on the tutorial fight for around half an hour because the riposte icon wouldn't appear on the invincible knight in front of me, after that Geralt was so upset he refused to use any magic for another half hour, and he finally got so fed up I couldn't move him anywhere, and only the dodge button worked.
It turned out the game thought I didn't appreciate it enough because I was using a mouse and keyboard, so I switched to a controller, and Geralt was so happy he started moving and gave me menus that didn't completely suck ass (whoever designed the menus in that game needs to be fired), but Geralt's appreciation was short lived when he decided not to block or attack (my controller is not broken, he just sat there) and I was killed by the tutorial monsters.
At that point I decided I didn't care how good the rest of the game could possibly be, it was too poorly designed that I couldn't play it (literally and figuratively), the menus were the worst, every time I wanted to do something it was like I was filling out a form, open menu, open sub-menu1, open sub-sub-menu1, click this, combine with this, close sub-sub-menu1, open sub-sub-menu2, drink potion1, close sub-sub-menu2, open sub-sub-menu1, repeat until you can't drink any more potions.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
I just wanted to add that reading the whole rant as your grumpy RD avatar made me giggle.

Anyway, OT, I wouldn't call GTA4 the worst game ever, but I think it really misses the mark. The uber-serious tone, the lack of customization, the complete arse camera and physics... It's by far the worst of the series, which is why I'll never understand why it gets so much praise. People often put it in their 'Top Games of All Time' list, but there's not a single thing it does that isn't done much MUCH better by other games. *cough Saints Row cough*

IMHO, it's a bad game, and it will live on in infamy in my head as the most disappointing game I've ever played.

Kal-Adam

May 7, 2010
I remember GTA 4 being supremely disappointing after playing San Andreas, but not a particularly bad game.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I Played SR3 on a friends Xbox, it is the most fun I have had in a sandbox. I will get it as soon as I have a computer that can run it.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
As much as the 300 hours+ seems a tad excessive, I agree, GTA IV sucks like a vacuum cleaner.

I think I managed to make it to that construction site mission too, but after failing it for entirely unknown reasons, I thought 'fuck it, this game isn't worth my time' and traded it in.

Ditto Oblivion. *flame shield up*

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
RonHiler said:
Yep, this, so much this. I pretty much hated GTA IV, although I did eventually force myself to play through the entire thing after a couple of false starts. The DLCs were pretty good though (especially the Ballad of Gay Tony, which I had a good time with). Maybe it was just the dipshit cousin that ruined the original game for me, because I genuinely enjoyed the add ons.

But yeah, SR2 was the awesome. But then of course then we got SR3, which was just as much a step back from SR2 as GTA IV was from GTA:SA. Why do open world games do that?
What didn't click for you in SR:TT? For the record, I'm agreeing with you, I'm just making conversation.

For me, it was the huge step backwards in player customization. The SR3 version of 'emaciated' is the SR2 version of 'buff,' and the whole Upper Body/Lower Body blanket thing. At first I was miffed at how much DLC they were putting out, but after looking up just how little they actually added, that department is kind of a wash for me.

DSD12

Feb 12, 2011
GTA 4 has the worst vehicle controls, any other game helicopter controls are great you play GTA and it makes me want to snap the disk in half.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I completely agree with you, OP. Although I didn't give it nearly so long to prove itself otherwise. I quit after the first mission that involved fighting. The controls are just awful, and I can't stand it's gritty atmosphere. And the characters! I've never hated fictional people more in my life.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Wow, I absoultely love GTA in almost every aspect of the game, and my friends and I have played it very frequently over the course of the 4 years it's been out, and i probably have only amassed around the same time you have, how can you play a game so much if you hate every part of it?

Feb 22, 2009
GTA IV is my favourite game of all time. You're nitpicking to a ridiculous degree - some mildly annoying gameplay faults make it the worst game you've ever played? And why have you played for 300 hours then?

As for people saying the plot is boring, could someone please explain this to me? If you need constant silliness to make you enjoy the plot, then you're not really playing for the plot anyway, you're playing to fuck around. The storyline in GTA IV is one of the most compelling and emotional storylines I've ever seen in a game, AND still keeps up the series' trademark humour to a certain degree. It might not be as fast-paced or hilarious as previous games but the plot, to me, is a great piece of satire and ultimately a great tragedy.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
GTA IV is a worthy title of your "worst game I've ever played"? Or even on your top 10 list? You must not of had the misfortune of being sucked into some really bad games. GTA IV isn't amazing and I can see how people consider it bad, but to call it one of the worst is shockingly harsh, at least compared to what I've had to deal with.

Just for a comparison, I once ended up playing Clive Barker's Jericho after my brother got it, I consider it to have the single worst characterisation in any game I know of. I could pretty much rant about how Clive Barker is a shoddy writer, and that it's surprising he did Candyman and Hellraiser. That the idea that Clive Barker is gay is actually surprising considering the protagonists you play as (i.e. a bunch of racist and homophobic misfits wearing tight black leather). I have played worse games than that, without a shadow of doubt, but Jericho not only fails hideously in the writing but the gameplay is bland at best.

To compare Jericho to GTA IV, to me, is like comparing someone stabbing your mother and wearing her breasts as a mask and a clown who goes to your birthday party but just keeps squirting water into your face.

Aiberg

Oct 2, 2009
I think the examples you gave were solid, Dense_Electric. You are right! Rockstar has a lot to improve upon.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
MajorTomServo said:
What didn't click for you in SR:TT? For the record, I'm agreeing with you, I'm just making conversation.

For me, it was the huge step backwards in player customization. The SR3 version of 'emaciated' is the SR2 version of 'buff,' and the whole Upper Body/Lower Body blanket thing. At first I was miffed at how much DLC they were putting out, but after looking up just how little they actually added, that department is kind of a wash for me.
Yeah, the player customization was a major step backward (mostly in the clothing I think, as the body/face sliders were more or less fine, and the choice of voices seemed about on par with SR2). But the clothing, oh man. I don't think you could do as much with it in SR3 as you could in SR1.

As for other bits, it's generally a lack of things that ought to have been there. The most glaring example is no street races (really??? No street races in an open world crime game?). We lost the side jobs (Firetruck, Ambulance, Tow Truck, etc). Many of the activities from the last game didn't come back (Sewage truck, etc).

But I could have lived with all that if it wasn't for the story missions. First off, once you remove the missions that are just cut scenes and the missions that are really just activity tutorials, you are left with just 30 some missions, far too few. And the story told by the ones that are there is completely disjointed and in fact actively makes no sense in places. I'm pretty sure at some point in development they decided to change the focus of the story (to the ridiculous wrestler thing), but they didn't have time to redo what they had, so they pieced together parts from the original as best they could. I don't want to give out spoilers, but I could mention a certain antagonist that does a very bad thing right at the beginning of the game, setting him up to be the revenge target. Only you end up dropping a ball on him a couple of missions later in a total anticlimactic bit, and the entire plot takes a left turn into WWE land. Complete rubbish.

But anyway, to get this somewhat back on topic, I don't mind the DLCs too much. I buy the mission packs and ignore the rest. If it gives the financially struggling studios a little more funds to make the next game, then good for them. I just wish Volition would take some lessons from R* on how to do them, because the DLC in GTA IV is the right way to do it (entire new campaigns), not the "three mission" packs nonsense we are getting from Volition. I really dug the way the three story lines in GTA intertwined and crossed paths without interfering with each other, it was actually very well done.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I did prefer San Andreas. Nothing more fun the sitting on the back of a pickup, shooting so the driver panics, and letting him speed around while you gun more people from the back. :)

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
I love GTA 4 I think it was a great way to show the series maturing, the humor was darker and more cynical, the world felt more real, the story stayed grounded and didn't fly off into batshit insanity like SA's did.

personally i liked the physics, it felt like Niko actually had mass instead of just floating through the world, cares had mass and anyone who had trouble driving is probably a shit driver

And personally i thought some of the missions were the best in the series (Snow Job and three leaf clover + the diamond heist missions were awesome) the characters didn't feel like walking cliches (Manny did kinda, but i think that was the point)

is the game prefect? no

is any game? Hell naw

do i still love the shit out of it? Fuck yes

Did it make me frustrated at times, of course it did, but like any mature person i got over it,pushed through and felt awesome for finally kicking ass

I always wonder why people loathe this game, i know it's a departure from earlier titles, but then the earlier titles were starting to lose touch with sanity. and it seems most of the bitching comes from people wanting "more of the same" Seriously, San Andreas had some terrible ideas (eating food all the time so you won't lose health, getting fat, starving down to nothing, building muscle, you could actually have a heart attack in that game) so I believe some of the terrible ideas are par for the course in a gta game.