GTA IV is the Worst Games I've Ever Played

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Ah, the internet; Where everything is automatically either the worst of best thing ever. Say what you want about GTA IV, but if you can prove it's worse than, say Shaq-Fu, Bart vs. The World, Charlie's Angels, Monster Truck Madness 64, Captain Novolin and Rex Ronan: Experimental Surgeon I will give you a slow clap. Seriously. I personally quite enjoy GTA IV, but I can see the hate for it. With that said, calling it the worst game you have ever played says that you have either been incredibly lucky, or you haven't played that much video games.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
RonHiler said:
MajorTomServo said:
What didn't click for you in SR:TT? For the record, I'm agreeing with you, I'm just making conversation.

For me, it was the huge step backwards in player customization. The SR3 version of 'emaciated' is the SR2 version of 'buff,' and the whole Upper Body/Lower Body blanket thing. At first I was miffed at how much DLC they were putting out, but after looking up just how little they actually added, that department is kind of a wash for me.
Yeah, the player customization was a major step backward (mostly in the clothing I think, as the body/face sliders were more or less fine, and the choice of voices seemed about on par with SR2). But the clothing, oh man. I don't think you could do as much with it in SR3 as you could in SR1.

As for other bits, it's generally a lack of things that ought to have been there. The most glaring example is no street races (really??? No street races in an open world crime game?). We lost the side jobs (Firetruck, Ambulance, Tow Truck, etc). Many of the activities from the last game didn't come back (Sewage truck, etc).

But I could have lived with all that if it wasn't for the story missions. First off, once you remove the missions that are just cut scenes and the missions that are really just activity tutorials, you are left with just 30 some missions, far too few. And the story told by the ones that are there is completely disjointed and in fact actively makes no sense in places. I'm pretty sure at some point in development they decided to change the focus of the story (to the ridiculous wrestler thing), but they didn't have time to redo what they had, so they pieced together parts from the original as best they could. I don't want to give out spoilers, but I could mention a certain antagonist that does a very bad thing right at the beginning of the game, setting him up to be the revenge target. Only you end up dropping a ball on him a couple of missions later in a total anticlimactic bit, and the entire plot takes a left turn into WWE land. Complete rubbish.

But anyway, to get this somewhat back on topic, I don't mind the DLCs too much. I buy the mission packs and ignore the rest. If it gives the financially struggling studios a little more funds to make the next game, then good for them. I just wish Volition would take some lessons from R* on how to do them, because the DLC in GTA IV is the right way to do it (entire new campaigns), not the "three mission" packs nonsense we are getting from Volition. I really dug the way the three story lines in GTA intertwined and crossed paths without interfering with each other, it was actually very well done.
With you there, man. My exact words were "What? Really? Already?" Another prime example is when you-know-who came over the loudspeaker for the last time before he died, I remember thinking "Oh ho ho! How's he going to get out of this one?"

Next mission: "I can't believe he's really dead..." WHAT? WHAAAT?! Outrage.

I also hated how they completely did a 180 with Shaundi's character. She went from laid-back stoner slut to generic alpha-*****. After Viola joins we essentially have two of the same character.

STAG as an enemy was strange too. I mean, they're a group of volunteers fed up with gang violence working together to put a stop to it. That's literally the same reason the Saints got started.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Oh wow?

rage quitting desinstalling a game for failing 5 times in a row?...
Well to each their own. I would think it was a funny glitch or something and be done with it for the day maybe, but just simply uninstall it? Its a little too much, dont you think?

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
Eh. This game is really a mixed bag if there ever was one. It isn't a bad game, not at all. But it didn't click with me like the other GTA game, it lacked what made me love the other ones. It tried to be TOO realistic, and in that, it took out some fun from the game. Also, it made some unfavorable changes. Don't get me wrong, I did get some enjoyment from the game, there is still some joy, even if reduced, from stomping people to death, or stealing a car, bumping another, then stealing it....

But those bits and pieces don't even compare to old GTA.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
I was going to leave a serious reply, but then I realized this thread had been necro'd.

I've wondered what it would feel like to spontaneously criticize someone for something they said months ago as if it had just happened...
but I'm not a woman. No! Bad me, bad me! You can't make jokes like that with all the sexism battles going around!

OT: Perhaps the OP was just incredible lucky and never had to play a truely terrible game (aside from Big Rigs) and was technically telling the truth.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
SlaveNumber23 said:
It was no San Andreas but was still a great game.

Also the helicopter controls on the PC version make me cry blood.
Yea, I can't say I was completely pleased with 4 but I'm not as annoyed as the OP. What I didn't like about it the most is that accomplishing things only unlocked those useless achievement trophies rather than items & vehicles to use in the game.
In San Andreas it felt like every other mission unlocked something for me to use over and over again. That and to "unlock" the really cool stuff, you had to buy $20 mission packs.