Gun Enthusiasts Complain About the "Call of Duty Effect"

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
qbanknight said:
this is just fucking terrifying, a bunch of assholes who think they know about guns playing games and they want to try em out in real life. you know that whole, we gamers aren't violent people thing? and games don't train you to become a mass killer? not doing a good job at reinforcing these things.

the only saving grace is that these kids are just idiots who truly have no idea how to handle a weapon, and that games are not yet "realistic" enough to show the actual workings of such a gun
Actually I am quite adept with the use of fire arms.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
Yeah, people who think they know a thing or two just because they've played FPS...dumbasses. Some of the guns do feature the reality of their real-world counter parts, others are just stupid parodies. As though Infinity Ward got military advisors to help them make the game and guns "realistic" and then just decided to ignore certain things. For instance an M16A4 and an M4A1 are chambered in the exact same round, for the lay man that is they fire the exact same bullet. same size, same amount of power. And yet the M16A4 does more damage than the other for whatever reason. Same goes for the Vector and the UMP, they're both chambered in .45 ACP and yet the Vector does less damage. Go figure? Want a realistic game, play Rainbow Six Vegas 2, it's as close to how guns really work as you'll get and you won't see any F***tard shooting people while he's Dual "Wieldan". Also, a shotgun that was made ove 100 years ago should not be the best secondary weapon in the game.

P.S no one in the military or self-respecting "gun enthusiast" calls that thing the feeds ammunition in to your weapon a "clip". It's called a magazine, the clip is a device that is used to store multiple rounds of ammunition together as a unit, ready for insertion into the magazine of a repeating firearm. This speeds up the process of loading the firearm as several rounds can be loaded at once, rather than one round being loaded at a time.

Great North

Feb 3, 2010
At that last lil bit, with the guy actually in the gun store, at the original post:

:O !!! Holy crap, this makes me firmly apply my palm to my face, multiple times. I almost feel like this the story actually can't be true, and that we are in fact not that STUPID.
Then I think about some of the more ridiculously dumb things I've heard of people doing, and then I think that there are a whole lot of people who play CoD, Halo, etc., and there must be at least some of them that are as incredibly dumb as that kid there.

Now you have me worried. Damn.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
CORRODED SIN said:
I have played both games very much, and after logging days of time online, and watching how some people play, as long as you know the controls, and can shoot an enemy, all skill/planning/stradegy goes out the window, especially MW2, as it has been made noob friendly, and has more corners than a coloring book maze, which, since I'm retarded, enjoy very much.
Oh, I see. So after investing innumerable hours and gaining mastery of the controls...you claim that there's no 'skill' required because you're good at them. Just because something is *easy* for you doesn't mean that you didn't need to first acquire the means to *make* it easy. You described the exact way that most people get good at a video game, then made the assertion that getting better at something you invest time and effort in means that there's no skill in it.

CORRODED SIN said:
You don't even need 2 hands to play the games.
Fun difference between needing another hand to do something and needing another hand to do something remotely well. I'd love to see you do better than utter shit on MW2's online while only using one hand.

dragonburner

Feb 21, 2009
Eclectic Dreck said:
dragonburner said:
Call of Duty does a little bit to familiarize myself, but not to the point of being able to operate anything more complicated than a paintball gun. (Which is really, really different from a real gun!)I don't confuse knowing what a gun is with being able to operate one.
While I have commonly heard the paintball marker isn't a gun argument (I played regularly for years after all), it isn't entirely accurate. The fundamental operating principles remain the same in that an expanding gas is used to propel a projectile of a sort for some purpose or another. The only real difference lies in the fact that a marker is utter rubbish in comparison to even the lowest quality firearm. Any principles of marksmanship that one applies to a firearm can be used with a paintball marker just the same, the only catch is there is little reason to apply such things when the inherent acuracy and range of the weapon are so terrible and so short that volume of fire is an infinitely superior option.
I guess they are similar, but not entirely. If you had to order it:
Real gun>Paintball Gun>Nerf Gun

Their just... different.

Belbe

Oct 12, 2009
jakelikescheddar said:
Oh dear. I can't get over how surreal the idea of a gun shop seems to me... 90% of people on this side of the pond will never see a gun in their lives...
Lol gunshops aren't real! Guns drop off the people you kill! XD

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
I am very happy to be in a country where guns are legal, criminals will always be able to get guns, gun laws are pointless...

ShiningOmega

Jun 28, 2009
Bob_F_It said:
Golden test: tell me what to do in a misfire, and I'll pass you as competant.

Amazing how some people blur the line between games and reality. I'm surprised that Forza hasn't turned everyone into racing pros.
Although I am sure this has been replied to multiple times within the 16 pages of this thread:

I would put the safety on, eject the magazine, work the bolt or slide three times to clear the chamber, leave the bolt/slide back on the third try, reinsert the magazine, turn the safety off, and release the bolt/slide. Then I would be ready to fire again.

Although preferably I would be firing something without a tendency to misfire, like a Heckler & Koch.

Also, being a Texan AND a gamer, I fall in the middle on this one. I know a fair amount from my real life experiences with firearms but still get a peek at military guns from Discovery Channel and games like CoD and Rainbow Six.

Ian Mk'venner

Mar 4, 2010
As an avid weapons enthusiast first and a gamer somewhere along the line after that I can say that it is a real thing, but Call of Duty Anything Under The Sun is hardly the first cause of this. With each new movie or game that comes out there is a slew of people who want to know about/buy/look at/ talk out of their hindquarters the new shiny whatever it is. Countless times I have been asked to broker deals for a particular weapon or been asked if a person could fire one of my own personal collection. Class III firearms are legal but the process to get them are more than most people are willing to go through, that?s before the cost is even taken into consideration. Personally its somewhat of a curse to see a weapon botched in the movies or in a game, resulting in persons calling a P90 a F90, thank you Socom, or more threatening happens like breaking collar bones and bruising wrists from firing large caliber weapons they are not properly trained or prepared for. For the most part these people are harmless barring the sad accident in which someone other than themselves is hurt but many if not all will walk away after seeing their first multi-thousand dollar military quality firearm. The blog operators reaction may be odd but it can be seen if you go to your music obsessed friend and misname their favorite band or go to a soccer match full of hooligans with the other side?s colors on. Some things you just don?t do.
?..and yes I cried when they tossed the AR-18 off the truck in Terminator.

RadioactiveMicrobe

Mar 1, 2009
Same people think that when you look through a scope on a sniper, it automatically ajusts so the bullet always hiys right where the crosshairs are.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Char-Nobyl said:
CORRODED SIN said:
You don't even need 2 hands to play the games.
Fun difference between needing another hand to do something and needing another hand to do something remotely well. I'd love to see you do better than utter shit on MW2's online while only using one hand.
I have the exact video for this moment...

But i can't bloody find it.

For those of you that wan't to know, its a guy playing Nazi Zombies (COD 5) with his FACE! Thats right, no hands just full face on controller action.

Oh yeah, he's good.

super big mac

Mar 13, 2010
Ha! some of you are doing what me and a friend of mine started doing - placing game notions in the real world. (I.E. : 'Press "A" to shoot!' or, press [whatever button it is, usually up on the D-pad, or analog stick] to go up the ladder!)

I've heard more game references and internet memes in my [not actually going to tell you what level class] science class than any actual science. 0.o lmao...

BTW, anyone seen the Tomb Raider series' newest game? (it's been around about a year now, lol)

Here's a preview:

B(.)(.)BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol, ^.^;

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Foggy_Fishburne said:
Can't believe it's still legal in America to carry guns... Fucking wild west. Well yeah the world is kinda retarded and this doesn't suprise me a bit. Hopefully all the gamers WILL buy a gun and then just annihilate each other. Many less humanbeings to worry about
You are wishing genocide on gamers.... on a gamers forum?

Battenbergcake

Oct 4, 2009
ArcWinter said:
Wow, that is scary. I just think the ingame guns look shiny. I would never actually attempt to learn to fire one.

Seriously, look really closely. They are shiny.
This man has a damn good point.