Gun Enthusiasts Complain About the "Call of Duty Effect"

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Cryofthewolf said:
Kinguendo said:
So... they are complaining that games can actually teach people things? Well, complaining about education doesnt exactly help with thegun-toting moron stereotype... then again there is the "gaming is bad, Mmmmkay?" stereotype which seems to be reinforced in this article too... but it is to do with guns so back to guns we are.

I mean you dont see people asking for a Normandy fitted with stripper poles for an Asari they plan on finding along the way...

Honestly I dont see why they are complaining that something might peek peoples interest in the subject they too have interest in... Is this that thing Bikers, Surfers and Christians do where they think they are the true ones and everyone else is a poser?
The people who are critisizing Call of Duty are doing so not because the game itself it bad, (although some of them might think so) they are pointing out that Call of Duty an other shooters tend to turn certain people onto guns, making them think they know what they are doing when they are holding one.

It happens to all of us on some level. I was shooting rifles this summer and a small part of me was surprised that it wasn't like shooting a rifle in Call of Duty: World at War. I know that really shooting guns are different than shooting them in games, but the games to have that effect on your mind where you feel like you 'know' something about them.

It can happen in all kinds of games. Sports games, adventure games, etc. Pick something and, for better or for worse, somebody will either 'learn' or learn something from it.
Yeah, I know... I didnt say they were criticising the game.

And everyone starts somewhere... so they now have an interest in guns... that was brought on by games... thats the start.

Ivan Issaccs

Oct 7, 2009
As a European with our strictly deranged gun control I've only ever fired a gun on one occasion. Some 9mm handgun at a firing rang my Uncle took me too when I visited him out in Nevada and I have to say that if I could fired that at the rate possible on video games I would A. Miss every shot at more than 5 feet and B. Sprain my wrist.

But even then, anyone who isn't borderline retarded should be able to tell that video games are nothing like real life.

Saul B

Feb 9, 2009
Ha. Not only have I noticed this, but I simply don't care. 'Gun enthusiasts' need to calm down because a bunch of enexperienced 'think-they-know-it-alls' are on their turf.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
That is pretty common... Its like the increase in people wanting to play a real guitar after Guitar Hero came out.

Then again, this sounds like fuel to all the Jack Thompsons of the world.

Haunted Serenity

Jul 18, 2009
I hate it in games when your guns don't jam. That always should be a feature because in real life then can jam easily and freqeuntly. Especially if you are picking something other than an Ak-47 or varient off the ground after running out of ammo.

"I'm used to it zooming in for me" the sad thing is you can get voice activated scopes that magnify for you when you tell them too. Lazy buggers.

Ever notice alot of games make iron sights why more innacuurate then firing from the hip? Try shotting any type of projectile weapon without aiming down the sights and you won't shoot nearly as well as if you had properly sighted your target.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Ivan Issaccs said:
As a European with our strictly deranged gun control I've only ever fired a gun on one occasion. Some 9mm handgun at a firing rang my Uncle took me too when I visited him out in Nevada and I have to say that if I could fired that at the rate possible on video games I would A. Miss every shot at more than 5 feet and B. Sprain my wrist.
That's because you are not a good shot. Not because the fire rate of pistols in games is wrong. See my last post.
But even then, anyone who isn't borderline retarded should be able to tell that video games are nothing like real life.
Drawing blanket conclusions based on the most limited of experience isn't the smartest of things either.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Yeah CoD is to gun enthusiests what guitar hero is to music enthusiasts. One of the best songs ever made (Judas Priest's "Painkiller") is now known as "that song from rock band 2." it's a bit depressing.

US Crash Fire

Apr 20, 2009
I'm probably the opposite from everyone here. It was actually target shooting that made me want to start playing FPS's. I can assure you that no matter how well you play CoD you have no fucking clue how to operate a real firearm. if you run out of ammo there is no "B" button on the gun to reload it for you. No game shows you how to field strip a gun or care for it. Hell most people don't even know that not all guns use the same ammunition! I saw an episode of worlds dumbest criminals where some dumbass kid tried to rob a convenience store with a 30-30 lever action (real cowboy gun). after threatening the clerk he realized he forgot to load it. He then reached into his pocket and tried to load in some .45 ACP (large handgun) rounds! so don't worry about gamers claiming they know all about guns because they play CoD. Unless they actually own a firearm there is no reason to panic.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
"I just want to headshot some noobs! Like in Halo!"

Priceless.

Actually i will admit that the COD games did get me moderatly interested in gun types, but not to the degree described in the article, i mean, i still know that if i tried to shoot a gun, the recoil would probably break my arms off.

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
Kuraigekage said:
This is further proof that games like MW2 and Halo should NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE be sold to anyone under the age of 18.

Parents should not be allowed to buy these games either. They just end up in the hands of bratty 12 year old xbox 360 users.
I'm 16 and I play these games regularly. I don't claim to be a gun expert, nor have I ever handled a gun. Maturity can't be based on age alone. Sure, its pretty likely that the nine year old isn't mature enough to be playing MW2 or Halo. But during teen years the lines of maturity blur and sometimes become nonexistent.

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
pvt. caboose said:
I'm surprised that even an "avid gamer" (construe that as you wish) would assume that advanced and prototype weaponry would be available to Joe Blow, let alone rifles above .50 caliber.

Thank god for weapons permits.
Up the corner gun store(there are about 5 gun stores in a rather geographically large stretch of Alaska that I am in) and there is a .50BMG semi-auto.

Pass the requisite check and $200 to the ATF later,I can legally own a sound suppressor...up to and including a .50BMG(12.7x99mm for you euros) "can"

The Civilian market is what drives the gun companies,without the civilian market to sell to,having just a couple of military contracts..they would go out of business.

If I had the $5000 to go buy the .50 semi-auto I would. The owner's wife said he even took it bear hunting.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
They could at least get SOME knowledge, like which guns actually are popular.

Woulda been funnier if he asked for an m24, Ak-47, M4, or a Steyr Aug, at least a common weapon.

CORRODED SIN said:
Tiny116 said:
That's pretty scary...Thinking of the n00b hunters buying REAL guns
I wouldn't be too concerned. Zero skill is required to kill in Halo and CoD (prove me wrong) with a sniper rifle, or anything really. They probably couldn't figure out how to LOAD the rifle to begin with! xD
Just like killing someone in real life with a gun takes zero skill, prove me wrong. Any idiot can point at a target, adjust for distance, and shoot. Just like "any idiot in halo or CoD" can kill someone. And no, people don't do this stuff in real life, at least, not people who have something called a life besides getting drunk and becoming dumber.

Coltelement

Jan 20, 2010
I am an active airsofter/paintballer/firearm enthusiast.

I can defiantly tell you that there is some degree of effect to these games, as a sudden surge of new members or younger members of some of the Airsoft Forums I normally use have had a sudden interest in topics such as "can i pain meh gun red tiger", or "where can i getz acog", or my personal favorite "where is teh barret .50* i need to pwn some noobs"....

This is a little dissatisfying to know that the next generation who will receive the sport is thinking like this...

I do play COD4, CODWAW, and CODMW2, however. They are very challenging and fun games.

* Barret .50 Sniper Rifle, usually rare or of low quality in the US Airsoft community.

NoriYuki Sato

May 26, 2009
unfortunatly, this isn't the first i've heard of this stuff happening. i know next to nothing about guns, and don't pretend that i know more than i actually do, that being, i know how to fire an airsoft gun, and turn the saftey on and off, and switch mags, keeping in mind this is an airsoft gun. however, the story about the kid and the sniper rifle, just made me very very sad. i can understand wanting to buy a gun or at least look at the real version of a gun, due to video games. after all, CoD:WaW made me fall in love with the Thompson all over again.

one of my friends is a gun enthusiast, and i learn some things from him, and he corrects me if i'm wrong about something, or if i have a question, he answers it, no matter how stupid i look for asking a basic question like "now how do i drop the clip?" ((take it easy, it was my first time NEAR a gun, even if it was airsoft..))

my message to get across here...don't be like that kid. please. ask somebody if you have a quesiton about guns, and try not to act like you know more than you do about them. guns don't auto-zoom, and they don't aim-assist either. also they can jam, and must be cleaned and taken care of. ((thats about all my knowledge of guns right there))

LeQuack_Is_Back

May 25, 2009
Haunted Serenity said:
I hate it in games when your guns don't jam. That always should be a feature because in real life then can jam easily and freqeuntly. Especially if you are picking something other than an Ak-47 or varient off the ground after running out of ammo.
They did that in Farcry 2. Biggest pain in the ass I've ever seen, especially because it NEVER happens to your enemies.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
An interesting side effect...I am the contradiction, having learned about firearms before I got into video games. :) for me it's always nice to see real firearms used in games in realistic ways. There is of course the context of it being a game. Unreal, fake, for entertainment purposes only. I don't blame game developers for creating young people who can't tell where the line between reality and fantasy is, I blame parents. Always.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
LeQuack_Is_Back said:
Haunted Serenity said:
They did that in Farcry 2. Biggest pain in the ass I've ever seen, especially because it NEVER happens to your enemies.
I can definitely see how that would be a super annoying feature of a game. The mechanics of random gun jams in all firearms based on real life percentages would be absolutely ridiculous. It would also provide a less enjoyable video game experience. I play games to have fun in fantasy land, I go out and shoot at the range or in the desert when I want to actually fire a gun and deal with it jamming, and having to clean it, etc.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Sev said:
I'll just stick to playing a game and wikipediaing the guns featured in them if I want to know more.
I am hardly an enthusiast in the firearms market but in the past my employers expected me to know a great deal about the subject. My intense desire to correct flagrant errors of strangers on the internet ensures I'm constantly having to jump into discussions regarding the supposed realism of something related to firearms. Of course, people never accept what I tell them because video games portrey something quite different. Most recently I gave up attempting to convince some group or another that a .50 BMG round is not the sort of round one gets shot by and keeps fighting. It's the sort of round that removes limbs and spreads organs about the landscape in such a fashion that if one even survives the impact returning to the fighting at any point in the future is a distant possibility.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
dragonburner said:
Call of Duty does a little bit to familiarize myself, but not to the point of being able to operate anything more complicated than a paintball gun. (Which is really, really different from a real gun!)I don't confuse knowing what a gun is with being able to operate one.
While I have commonly heard the paintball marker isn't a gun argument (I played regularly for years after all), it isn't entirely accurate. The fundamental operating principles remain the same in that an expanding gas is used to propel a projectile of a sort for some purpose or another. The only real difference lies in the fact that a marker is utter rubbish in comparison to even the lowest quality firearm. Any principles of marksmanship that one applies to a firearm can be used with a paintball marker just the same, the only catch is there is little reason to apply such things when the inherent acuracy and range of the weapon are so terrible and so short that volume of fire is an infinitely superior option.