Guys (or girls I guess): How would you react to this?

PleaseDele

Oct 30, 2010
I'd be freaked out big time. Not only did I miss something very important about one of my closest friends, it's just not how I roll. I would probably applaud him for keeping it from me though. Which would make the scene even more awkward. I just don't see me reacting calmly.

I won't experiment for the hell of it though. I will ask him to move on.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
Honesty is always the best way to go I feel. I don't mind experimenting a little, but I wouldn't want to do that with a close friend, especially not if he has strong feelings for me. I'm just not confortable with that.
Might be different if I had some feelings form him too, but if not. I would just say the above, and leave it at that.
Don't think this would lead to any conflict with a good friend. If you're a good friend, you respect eachothers choices about stuff like this. If he isn't a good friend, he has just a cruch, I find him attractive, and I'm single at that moment then I just go along with it I think. I have no problems with homosexuality what so ever, so why not try it?

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Same way I'd react to someone of the opposite sex admitting they had feelings for me, by which I mean it would depend on my personal attraction to them (on all levels), and my relationship status at the time in question. I'm married now, so doesn't really matter who they are. :)
I dunno... there are a few celebrities my wife would shoot me if I didn't cheat with. I think we're all allowed to have that previously-agreed-upon "thumbs up list," in case reality as we know it hiccups and we're in that magical set of circumstances.

And that goes for both sides of the fence. I'm a perfectly straight man, but if Neil Patrick Harris wanted to, I dunno, snuggle or something... Wait, what the hell are we talking about again?

On topic:

When someone voices attraction to you, realize that they're speaking about their own feelings. So consider those feelings when you respond. You can choose to take it as a compliment rather than an offer, which makes all the difference.

(Now, many also have expectations of what your response will be, and that's not your fault. Being careful of someone's feelings doesn't mean giving an indefinite answer to avoid "crushing" misplace hopes.)

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
So let me get this clear. You're asking if someone I knew who was of the same sex told me they had a crush on me?

I would act nervous and uncomfortable when I try to figure out an excuse that is basically "sorry, I'm not into guys". It's not that I'm homophobic, it's that if they're a friend and they told me this, I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings with too much blunt honesty in case they take it the wrong way. It would be a difficult situation that wouldn't end well for either of us because I'm just attracted to women, it's how I was born and it's part of who I am, there's nothing I or anyone else can do to change that.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
FOXGEAR said:
It happened to me a few weeks ago. My best friend of the last 6 or 7 years told me he had had a crush on me for some time. I had to turn him down, because while I am Bi, I'm just not into him that way. Plus, he has a girlfriend that he talked to about it, and she said she was cool with it because "it wouldn't technically be cheating". Dumb *****.

But yeah anyway, I was a bit weirded out, but both of us were able to not make it awkward.
Exactly the same thing would happen to me, for some reason i cannot think sexually of any friends at all.
just thinking of them kissing someone makes me feel odd.
But i digress.
I would have to turn my friend down, cause again, even tough im bi like this person up there, friends and friends, and ive keeping up that friendship for so long because of a reason, that reason is 'I want to be friends and nothing else'.
Besides my male friends are kind of...meh. lol

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
I've actually had this happen. He wasn't my "type", so I explained that while I was flattered that he find me attractive, I didn't really share the same (sexual) feelings. He understood, we're still friends, no big deal.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Flattered and try to bring it to them gently that I am not into boys.

If we are talking about a girl, I would think about it.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Same sex; hell no. Other sex; I wouldn't do most of my friends but one, but she will never confess something like that. And she doesn't feel like that either.

the D0rk One

Apr 29, 2010
ReservoirAngel said:
the D0rk One said:
ReservoirAngel said:
the D0rk One said:
I never thought gay people are troubled when a person of the opposite sex hits on them.
I can't speak for all gays but I get freaked the fuck out when a girl hits on me. I dunno how to process the situation and end up babbling like a fool. Even if she's really hot, I can't handle the entire premise of what's happening and my brain just tries to force me out of the situation.

It's a reason I'm envious of Jordan (my boyfriend). Whenever a girl hits on him he's just totally in his element, being all charming and letting them down gently. Even buying them a drink sometimes as a 'thanks but no thanks' kind of gesture. The suave bastard.
Uh... why?
The fuck is wrong with you :)?

Ok, please excuse the lame joke, but what on earth makes you uncomfortable?
You do have the right to say no, even to hot, confident chicks who walk up to you, whatever your reason might be.
I suppose it could turn out ugly, depending on the person's acceptance and aggressiveness, but at least gay people turning down straight people can't be accused of homophoby (hope I spelled the nasty word right).
I've just got long-lasting confidence and inter-personal issues. I react almost the same way when a guy hits on me. I just don't like disappointing people, I'm always worried they'll get annoyed with me. Particularly when they put themselves on the line by approaching me to ask me out.

Honestly, how I got a boyfriend I'll never fucking know...
Wow... an honest and emotional answer... fuck it dude, you're a spambot, no human being can seem so human =))
Shit, I guess your partner sees behind your defenses and likes the spambot inside :)
What can I say, don't worry about it, disappointment is part of life and so's getting over it.
Oh, and GG overall.Cheers!

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
Unfortunately, my swing set carries a No Boys Allowed rule. I'd turn them down and ask them to move on because there's no chance of reciprocation.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
the D0rk One said:
ReservoirAngel said:
the D0rk One said:
ReservoirAngel said:
the D0rk One said:
I never thought gay people are troubled when a person of the opposite sex hits on them.
I can't speak for all gays but I get freaked the fuck out when a girl hits on me. I dunno how to process the situation and end up babbling like a fool. Even if she's really hot, I can't handle the entire premise of what's happening and my brain just tries to force me out of the situation.

It's a reason I'm envious of Jordan (my boyfriend). Whenever a girl hits on him he's just totally in his element, being all charming and letting them down gently. Even buying them a drink sometimes as a 'thanks but no thanks' kind of gesture. The suave bastard.
Uh... why?
The fuck is wrong with you :)?

Ok, please excuse the lame joke, but what on earth makes you uncomfortable?
You do have the right to say no, even to hot, confident chicks who walk up to you, whatever your reason might be.
I suppose it could turn out ugly, depending on the person's acceptance and aggressiveness, but at least gay people turning down straight people can't be accused of homophoby (hope I spelled the nasty word right).
I've just got long-lasting confidence and inter-personal issues. I react almost the same way when a guy hits on me. I just don't like disappointing people, I'm always worried they'll get annoyed with me. Particularly when they put themselves on the line by approaching me to ask me out.

Honestly, how I got a boyfriend I'll never fucking know...
Wow... an honest and emotional answer... fuck it dude, you're a spambot, no human being can seem so human =))
Shit, I guess your partner sees behind your defenses and likes the spambot inside :)
What can I say, don't worry about it, disappointment is part of life and so's getting over it.
Oh, and GG overall.Cheers!
I pride myself on being an open book, what can I say? Every one of my friends knows everything about me, cause I just don't see the point of hiding stuff from the people you're closest.

Although being like this causes problems. Like getting too worried about what someone thinks of you and babbling like a moron until that person is forced to shut you up. Which actually happened on my 1st date with my boyfriend. We have a history of bad dates. First date I was an idiot the entire time and 2nd date I ended up with a concussion...okay so maybe it's just ME with the history of bad dates. :)

Cavehybrid

Mar 29, 2011
surprising and I'd have to try and let them down gently. I'd be a bit flattered but wonder why the heck they'd care for me, I'm far from perfect.I geuss unless you were interested, that you'd tell them you weren't and try not to hurt them too much. They were ur mate before this and hopefully they'll be your mate after.

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
F.E.A.R.
Fuck Everything And Run

EDIT: If running fails then through em a bone...so to speak