Guys: What do you think it means to be a man?

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I gots a little story for you guys:
My friend called me and asked me to get this black and yellow stripped snake (A California King Snake, relatively harmless but will bite when threatened snake) out of her house. I told her I don't know how to handle snakes and I don't want to harm the snake or harm myself because I don't know how to handle it. She said it's a snake just kill it, I told her I can't do that because I find that wrong and I said call someone who actually knows how to handle a snake without harming it and then she goes off on how I'm not a real man because I don't want to harm a snake. I'm like whatever dude, I think it's more manly to have compassion for a living creature

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
for me it's as simple as knowing who you are, though that's not simple for everybody.

also you must have a penis.

ajh93

Feb 11, 2010
the willingness to do the right thing,no matter the cost....well,that and a pair of testicles

#TheBigLebowskijoke

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
Just throwing this out there, but what do people think it takes to be a woman?

Think of the connotations with the following two phrases:
"You're acting like a man."
"You're acting like a woman."

All of these 'manliness requirements,' I feel, would be better redefined as just part of being an adult. The expectations we place on males is unfair to both genders. The assumption that a 'true man' is X Beneficial Trait sort of implies that said traits are gender exclusive. It leaves women as unable to attain said attributes.

It's detrimental to men, in that it puts too much responsibility on their shoulders. Having that much expected of you just because of your gender isn't right.

Overall, I feel like both groups could greatly benefit if they stopped viewing gender by its current definitions. It's just a superficial physical trait.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
As usual, I learned the answer from The Dude:

LEBOWSKI: Funny?I can look back on a life of achievement, on challenges met, competitors bested, obstacles overcome. I've accomplished more than most men, and without the use of my legs. What...What makes a man, Mr. Lebowski?
DUDE: Dude.
LEBOWSKI: Huh?
DUDE: Uh, I, I don't know, sir.
LEBOWSKI: Is it being prepared to do the right thing? Whatever the cost? Isn't that what makes a man?
DUDE: Ummm..sure. That and a pair of testicles.
LEBOWSKI: You're joking. But perhaps you're right.
Dudeism. It works.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I feel my scars make me manly enough in the eyes of others.

though to me personally, I think that being a man means being able to be strong when wwanted, but soft when needed.

LikeDustInTheWind

Mar 29, 2010
PoisonUnagi said:
Ah, but then there are transgender people. And it gets confusing and stuff.
Transgender people don't change their chromosomes. They may give them testosterone or estrogen but that doesn't change their DNA.