Guys: Would you date / marry a powerful woman?

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Yeah, I probably would. I don't think there's room for problems, since I'm quite a laissez faire (or however you spell that) guy. I don't feel the need to be in control of anyone or to be controlled. In fact, I tend to have problems with women who need guidance/authority. Ok, I'd probably draw the line at attempts to exercise said power over me.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I pesonally would love to have a woman that awesome, but i'd have to add that she needs to be able to kick my ass as well... just to keep me in line.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Of course, why wouldn't I? I would never accept anyone that wasn't intelligent and wealth is just a bonus, it gives us freedom.
I wouldn't want to date a celebrity, but the other examples seem just fine, as long as the businesswoman isn't too occupied with her work.

albinoterrorist

Jan 1, 2009
Powerful - as in successful? Sure, why not.
Powerful - as in She-Hulk? OH GOD NO.

I like the arrangement of my vertebrae..

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I'd still want to feel like I'm some kind of useful, but I'd like a relationship with role reversed personalities, where she had the provider role and I had the caretaker role. My parents were a teacher and a daycare provider, I like kids, and I'm sensitive. I've never felt emasculated once because I've never cared about my masculinity. Unfortunately though I've found tough women want even tougher men, so it rarely works out that way. Just like how most guys will feel uncomfortable when they lose the provider role despite what they say, most women don't really want the sensitive, despite what they say.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
pulse2 said:
my dad is submissive, but that doesn't mean he's weak, when the time comes, he doesn't tolerate nonsense, he changes pretty quickly and you soon start to see that he isn't anything as submissive as he appears to be 98% of the time.
That is exactly how I am, so I guess it would go pretty well.

So yes, I would marry a powerful woman.

LordXel

Sep 25, 2010
I wouldn't mind that, just as long as she isn't older than me, isn't taller or shorter than me, completely loves me, then it would be a lovely relationship. Yes I'm soft.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
I'm still trying to grasp my head around my personal concept of love (teenage lovelives and all of that irritating bullcrap, with annoying hormones and everything else that likes to screw around with my emotions :D ), though while it may seem like I'm speaking idealistically and ignorantly, I'd honestly still date/marry that said woman if I did truly love her.

:/ Though my opinion doesn't really hold a lot of salt, so just take it as you may. I'd honestly like to hear Lara Crigger's take on this.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah I'd be cool with it. As long as she has the decency to treat me as equal (at least in private settings), I see no reason why it couldn't work.

Aug 31, 2009
I couldn't see a problem if my g/f was more successful or more motivated than me, in fact her job pays more than mine anyway but if she ever made enough money for me to quit work and be a kept man that would be fantastic, I could do some tidying in the morning and play the playstation all afternoon, hell id even learn to cook lol

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Depends.

In my experience, relationships can hit a snag really fast if the people involved have very different social standing and/or backgrounds. I'm not saying it can't work, but I think you have to work much harder at it, and be willing to suffer a lot of abuse from people you assumed were your friends. Social standing means a lot more than people are usually willing to admit.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
pulse2 said:
So here's the question, say the woman you are dating is always surrounded by media and publicity, the media doesn't care about you, they'd gladly push you aside if she is around to get a photo of her. Would you feel belittled or threatened by this or would you be happy with her success and shrug it off as part of what you went into when you both decided to be together?
My relationship is a bit like this and it's fine with me. We both get certain amounts of attention in our own scenes but when we both arrive at a party or function I know exactly who everybody is staring at, and photographers come up all the time wanting pictures of her. Quite comfortable with all this, after all it's what I signed up for, but even if it wasn't it wouldn't bother me.

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
Heck if I had the love of such a woman, I'd fall down on my knees and thank God and His angels because I am definately experiencing a miracle.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Not at all, I would actually prefer it, seeing as I am rather submissive and wouldn't do much if there wasn't someone to motivate me. Just as long as she doesn't run me into the ground or completely disregard my opinions then I'm fine with a powerful and strong woman.

As for the media, I wouldn't mind it but if they push me out of the way to get at her then they will find that while my fuse is pretty long forcefully moving me away from someone I want to be around burns through it rather quickly. There just may be broken cameras involved even more if they are obviously causing her distress.

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
pulse2 said:
I honestly think this is more an issue in Hollywood... it's a TV Trope.

And I think it has a basis in fact - but mostly from the previous generation.

Pretty much everyone 30 and under has grown up in a world where women have had at least some positions of power and thus are more used to the idea.

Remember - the Baby Boomers are a very insecure group - they have all sorts of neuroses about control and gender and so-forth. I think the women in power thing is one of them, and I think it is an issue that the current generation has a lot less than the Baby Boomers do.

Also, if it does still exist, I think you'll find it muted on a gaming site - generally a more socially liberal group of people (due to fighting for game rights if nothing else) than the rest of the population.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
It would only be an issue if she held it over me. My cousin was a very good engineer, but his wife was a bank executive and brought in a lot more revenue so he stayed at home and raised the kids. It just made sense and they've been happily married for over twenty years now.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
poleboy said:
Depends.

In my experience, relationships can hit a snag really fast if the people involved have very different social standing and/or backgrounds. I'm not saying it can't work, but I think you have to work much harder at it, and be willing to suffer a lot of abuse from people you assumed were your friends. Social standing means a lot more than people are usually willing to admit.
This. So much.

Also, like most men...I'd like to be the taller and more muscular one. I just do.