Hacker Group: "This is the beginning of the end for Sony", promises more hacks soon

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Okay, FUCK you hackers. Hacking into Sony and taking away tons of personal data is absolutely bull. You could've easily delivered the message of their weak security in a way that doesn't punish the customers nearly as much.

And to threaten Sony (Read: Sony's customers) again is fucking garbage. Anyone who partakes in these hacks is a twat.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Dear hackers,

You have no point and no support, and pissing about with the business of large companies like that is an illegal action that will effectively destroy your life once you've been found. You WILL be found and punished. Your computers will be taken away and you will both owe money and time in prison for your actions. What you are doing to Sony is likely insured against and will not actually affect them in the long run.

Let me spell it out to you: You are wrong and they are in the right.

And as long as you keep 'fighting', you only bury yourself deeper. The one who is losing is the idiot who is sticking his head out for the law to ensnare. Companies play the long game and Sony has been playing for a LONG TIME. Every time you attack, it's another "Hi there! I am dumb and making it easier to be found!". Have fun with that. I'll see you in jail. Oh wait. I won't, because I'm not a fucking moron.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Sony + Ownage) Phase 1 will begin within the next day. We may have a pre-game show for you folks though. Stay tuned.
Well, we'll know by tomorrow if they're serious or not, and just how far they make it.

Reading the torture ideas from some of the people here scare me, though. Like, really bad. I LOVE YOU, PEOPLE! PLEASE DON'T HURT ME!

Anywho...who the hell tweets something like that? That's like typing 'OH EM GEE, MY BOSS IS SO FAT AND UGLY AND BALD AND STUPID! LIKE SRS!" on your facebook with your boss friended.

Edit: Apparently this hacker group took PBS down...like, it's down right now.

http://www.pbs.org/ShadowDXS/

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
I don't like Sony, but must they bring them down this way?

Also, some people need to calm down. They're dicks, but wishing torture and death upon them? Come on.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Woodsey said:
They can suck my dick, fucking pricks.
Seconded.

From the sound of the article, these guys are fools, leeching off Sony's bad press to make a statement.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
loc978 said:
Dear hackers: I demand equal rights for Microsoft users. It's a slightly more deserving company anyway.

*goes back to playing games on his secure PC running ubuntu*
Lol. I watched two sets of videos about hacking the Wii & PS3 (and incedentally a lot of other consoles.)

They firstly pointed out that pretty much all console hacks except the PS2 were done for the purposes of running homebrew software and/or linux.
(The PS2 having been hacked explicitly for piracy.)

The only console NOT hacked was the PS3, which changed almost instantly the moment Linux support was removed.

They do point out that piracy is a side effect of these hacks, but that's a different issue.

The main thing they were discussing was what console security was actually like:

The Wii had moderate security, but some badly implemented security functions meant it was useless, and hackers can do anything they like with one, essentially. (Gamecube backwards compatibility was also an inherent security flaw because of the lack of security supported by the gamecube. And you can't retroactively add security without breaking gamecube support)

The PS3 looked on the surface like it would have the strongest security of any console... But, as it turns out, it's only strong in theory, because again, some fundamental security stuff wasn't actually implemented properly.
(And that doesn't even begin to cover PSN security, which relied on the idea that the PS3 couldn't be cracked.)

In both the case of the Wii & PS3, the eventual hacks that were developed allowed such low-level system access that there was no possible way of patching the vulnerability.

Then there's microsoft.
Which actually created strong security, AND implemented it properly. As a result, while the Xbox 360 has been hacked at least twice, and these hacks allowed a fairly large degree of access to the hardware, the security setup was still strong enough that Microsoft could quickly patch out the holes the hackers were using, rendering the hacks useless, and any hacker back where they started from once the patch was implemented.

In other words, Microsoft actually knows what it's doing and while there were a few flaws, they weren't at a low enough level to be a permanent hole. Meanwhile Nintendo & Sony both implemented security systems that look good on paper, but implemented them with fatal flaws in them that mean they're unfixable short of recalling all the hardware and software ever made for the respective consoles.

I'm sure the Xbox and xbox live get hacked every so often. But the difference is, Microsoft didn't botch their security, and can generally fix whatever exploits the hackers were using.

gorillahertz

Sep 19, 2010
00slash00 said:
im not convinced this is real, kinda sounds like an empty threat to me

that said, if playstation does go under, my days of console gaming may be over. i barely even consider the wii to be a gaming console and xbox has literally no titles that interest me
I agree! I'd rather sit in the park and play chess with old-guys. At least I can pretend I'm Bobby Fischer.

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
Oh well, I kinda dislike the PS brand (mostly use my PS3 console as a media server these days and for exclusives) anyways, so fire away hackers. If sony does fall I look forward to the next generation, only two consoles with different target audiences, I can already smell the rainbow.

Leole

Jul 24, 2010
Quick question, if anyone bothers to read the third page of this thread.

Why are they doing this? Is there a reason, or "just because they can"?

I can't imagine Sony C.E.O. being a bully and taking lunch money from all of the hackers when they were young and Howard being with the big guys who smoke behind the gym. Seriously, what the hell?

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
And it turns out GeoHotz is the mastermind behind it all. It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Leole said:
Quick question, if anyone bothers to read the third page of this thread.

Why are they doing this? Is there a reason, or "just because they can"?

I can't imagine Sony C.E.O. being a bully and taking lunch money from all of the hackers when they were young and Howard being with the big guys who smoke behind the gym. Seriously, what the hell?
Because they're po'd that geohotz got in trouble for unlocking the PS3. (WHICH HE DESERVED)

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Elamdri said:
Harbinger_ said:
If only torture could be legalized.... Seriously these guys are doing this just to be as low as they can.
Wait, you want torture to be legalized to be used on Hackers? I mean, yeah what they're doing isn't cool, but there's a lot of other crap that I think is more deserving on the list of "things that you should be tortured for"
To be clear I would use it on other things but this too. After all they are guilty of attempted identity theft.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
I read the link but it said that this LulzSec hacker guy just hacked a Sony BMG's Japanese Website.

Sorry if I'm unimpressed but hacking a website is not the same as taking down the PSN. Any proof that this guy is even involved with those hackers?

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
This is just so depressing.
gorillahertz said:
jakefongloo said:
Why would they go after the company offering the FREE online gaming? Show of hands; who likes free stuff? That's why I got a PS3! Where's the problem? These "anonymous hackers" are probably getting checks from M.S..
I'm not understanding their logic either. What's to win? Infamy?

LCP

Dec 24, 2008
Why don't they hack anyone supporting the Protect-IP act...

wouldn't that be something?

Slim-Shot

Aug 9, 2009
To hell with Sony. I shall sit back with a sense of ironic amusement and see what happens.

A turn for the worse, the console wars have taken.

Leole

Jul 24, 2010
blakfayt said:
Thank you. I've been meaning to ask someone over this but no one seemed to know.

Asking over the Escapist never went through my mind until just now.