Hackers Also Hit Sony Online, Stole 12,700 Credit Cards

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Hackers Also Hit Sony Online, Stole 12,700 Credit Cards

Sony just can't catch a break.

This morning, it was discovered that Sony's recent problems [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109701-Sonys-Station-com-Taken-Offline] with the Playstation Network being used to steal user information and the resulting outage, this obviously merited some speculation. Now, Sony has announced the theft of data associated with 24.6 million Sony Online Entertainment accounts, including your "Name, address (city, state, zip, country), email address, gender, birthdate, phone number, login name and hashed password."

The hackers also got away with information from an outdated, non-US credit card database: a total of 12,700 international credit card numbers and 10,700 direct debit records, including bank account numbers, of residents of Germany, Austria, the Netherlands and Spain.

Sony believes that the intrusion that took the information occurred sometime between April 16 and 17, which matches up nicely with the PSN hack. As Sony has repeated many times, the two networks are completely separate, which blurs the relationship between the two attacks. The theft was discovered only this morning as the company was investigating the details of the PSN hack, and the SOE service was promptly brought down.

To make up for the downtime, Sony will be providing an additional 30 days to any subscriptions, as well as an extra day for each day the services are down. It is also drafting a "make good" plan for its PS3 MMOs.

The company says it has plans to introduce complimentary assistance in enrolling "identity theft protection services" to all users affected by this attack, and will be forthcoming with details shortly.

This does not bode well for Sony. Not one little bit.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.soe.com/securityupdate/]

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
FredTheUndead said:
If they keep this up, they'll ALMOST be in the Apple or Linux territory of incompetence.
Mind explaining that position?

I don't hate you for the post, I'm actually curious as to why you said that. I want to learn! :p

wsmieszek said:
One question: WHY?
That's a good question, too.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Nice of you to have let us all know Sony.... Oh wait! You didn't! Also I don't want free service on a system you can't protect.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
WOW... So they make how much money each year and they dont even have a great security network? This IS going to have long term effects on the company.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Do SOE have anything to do with SCEE? I thought that SCEE was purely Playstation and SOE just collaborated with them occasionally.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
Wow. That's messed up. And I thought Facebook was insecure with private data. Needless to say, I won't be getting a PS3 any time soon.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Wow. (shit just got real)³

I wonder how many exponents I'm going to get up to throughout all of this. It just gets worse and worse for Sony.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Yeah! Go hackers! Take care of big, bad EEEEEVIL corporations like Sony! Who cares that you're likely going to put millions of people out of work? Who cares that you are performing a felony on millions of people? Who cares that your selfish actions are causing nothing but misery? Who cares that people are being denied a simple service all becuase you wanted to go hack big, bad Sony? You're taking on an EEEEEVIL corporation, so that makes it all ok!

...God I hope this fucker is killed on his way to the courtroom if when he gets caught...

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Wow... you'd think they would have seen this coming... whoever these hackers are, they have a vendetta against Sony.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
dragongit said:
Wow... you'd think they would have seen this coming... whoever these hackers are, they have a vendetta against Sony.
I wonder if they are going to come to other system as well. Or just thought they could bring sony down a peg or two with their talk of "un-hackable" system. Though who knows with this. Hate to say this Sony fans but I hope they don't come to xbox or PC(Though not sure how they can do this one...but who knows with these people.)

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Who the fuck is doing this!? For christ's sake would you assholes just let us play our games!?

*Goes into fetal position and cries* *Wished he got a PC instead of a mac*

Seriously, what the hell.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
LastGreatBlasphemer said:
*Sigh* Fuck you hackers, you filthy leeches.
Megacherv said:
Do SOE have anything to do with SCEE? I thought that SCEE was purely Playstation and SOE just collaborated with them occasionally.
I hate Koth.... Tezzeret is so much cooler.
But Koth's red and I play Red

And I'd like to see Tezz Red Sun someone for 13