Hackers Also Hit Sony Online, Stole 12,700 Credit Cards

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
NickCaligo42 said:
Jumplion said:
I really have to wonder how secure Sony's system was in the first place if their services are being hacked left and right. They're either really unlucky or incompetent, and I'm not sure which one is scarier.
Funny how nobody seems to have drawn the conclusion that the hacker could've been working inside Sony. At the point of tens of thousands of credit card numbers stolen that seems to be the more likely conclusion than sheer incompetence.
Thinking and brainstorming on it a little more. I am starting to really think we are all way off base in blaming annonymous or Geohotz or even just some rogue "really good" hackers. The whole PSN and SOE getting hit raises some interesting questions.

- Could it have been an inside job from Sony? Possibly, but unlikely. As far as we know the two entities are operated as entirely separate businesses. It is unlikely that there would be any single point of compromise between the two, unless there was some sort of internal contracting or consulting going on. If one division was in some way borrowing say IT support staff from another.

- Could it have been some third party contractor. This is a far more likely scenario. if I read it right, both the compromised PSN servers and the compromised SOE servers were housed in the same AT&T datacenter. That's raising some huge red flags right there. The common point might not be Sony at all, but AT&T. and think about the scare potential in that thought. These are the same folks that host a lot of other similar services, such as Blizzard. Particularly telling is the sudden sprint by Sony to get their servers out of that datacenter and moved to some super secret undisclosed location. Am I wrong in thinking that that is not a normal response to an outside breach from the internet? You would normally only move the servers when the site itself has been physically compromised or the internal network. So add to the list of very strong possibilities that this is not Sony's fault. This may have happened on AT&T's watch.

- Why are we assuming that this was perpetrated by some lone wolf third party individuals. Sony is a huge multinational corporation, but is also quite possibly the most recognizable symbol of one of the worlds largest economies. Japan. In many ways Sony is Japan, Japan is Sony. In much the same way that Samsung and Korea are linked. This was two targeted breaches at two disparate sub companies with independent security. US Department of Homeland security is involved. There are several sovereign nations that maintain extremely advanced data hacking capabilities. Some of them do not put the same separation on government vs private enterprise that we mentally do. This could be part of an asymmetric harassment of a national industry by a hostile foreign power. Both China and North Korea have ongoing disputes with Japan. Both have proven many times over a willingness to do these sorts of things. Just saying.

- The final really scary thought. Why are we assuming that it is just Sony? We are all assuming that this happened because Sony has in some way failed at security. That they had some glaring hole in their network or policies and procedures that they negligently failed to plug. what if they didn't? What if they were operating under current security standards? What if they were simply the target of choice due to that above mentioned "all the cards falling the right way" with their war with anonymous? What if the hole is not unique to Sony, but rather is more widespread throughout the online e-commerce industry? Is any of our personal info safe? How secure is anyplace you have given your credit card to? What differentiates Sony from iTunes or XBox Live, or Amazon? If they weren't doing something different from everybody else than what does that say or do to a huge piece of the national and global economy? (gee doesn't that just give the possibility of national governments being involved in this a whole scary new twist?)

Just 2c worth of brainstorming. I really know nothing and all of this is pure speculation. Just trying to work out possible points of convergence from what little we know.

Digitaldreamer7

Sep 30, 2008
Aeshi said:
I hope these Hackers get sued for every penny they and their children ever earn.
if that's the case maybe you should be paying reperations for slavery, let's say 50% of what you earn for life, since one of your ancestors probably owned a slave at one time. Piss off.

dsawyers9 said:
This is one reason why I disapprove of hackers.
I feel bad for the customers and the hardware users of this incident.

While I have said I disapprove of this, Sony and every single large business company in the world needs to learn a lesson from this. No matter how big you are, it only takes a single group to tear you from you seat up high to corrupt and destroy everything you have made.

In short, Stop attacking your customers! It may not be the customer attempts of vengeance, but people don't like it when big companies attack their customers with law suits and to be truthful, I'm getting tired of seeing gaming companies and global business running around and doing what ever they want because they can.
This^

I don't agree with the stealing of personal and private financial information,but, I do think sony was asking for it if not downright begging for it. Don't F@*k with people's property. I didn't rent your console, I OWN the thing. If I want to buy a PS3, tear down your shitty software and run linux on it.. I damn well should be able to without fear of getting sued because its my fucking hardware. If I want to turn it into a robot that does the Mexican hat dance for money i have the RIGHT as the owner of said hardware to do so. I hope they lose enough money in this situation that it serves as a wake up call to them and other corporations and companies. when you sell us something, it's ours and unless we are using it for an illegal purpose (pirating games, cheating etc) then we can do whatever we please with the hardware. I'm even poised to say that the people who did it probably only stole the data to put sony in it's place. I'll be surprised if anything financially bad happens to anyone other then sony.

It's time all companies realized that they serve us the consumers. We don't serve them.

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
Who ever these guys are, they've got one serious grudge. o.o And here I was actually thinking of buying a PS3. /wipebrow

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It's their own damn fault for wasting resources harassing paying customers instead of encrypting customer data or patching security exploits more quickly

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
thirion1850 said:
Who ever these guys are, they've got one serious grudge. o.o And here I was actually thinking of buying a PS3. /wipebrow
Never underestimate a bunch of teenagers and 20 somethings with a computer and too much time on their hands

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Fullmetal X said:
thahat said:
hacker my bum. Sony stored the data in plain text, and should have had an intrusion detection system in place to stop this kind of madness. face it, your average 13-18 year old bored European with slightly above average skills could have raided this data from Sony.
be glad it
Ummm...proof? Because according to Sony, user data was hashed and credit card data was encrypted.

Not saying they're not lying, but no one has actually been able to prove the data was stored in plain text.
dont have the proof. but think of it this way. if it WAS encrypted, propperly. as in a key file half a page long )(200 or so letter/numbers/capsor no ) it would not be worth stealing, and sony should not even have told the public:
the hackers would never get through. ever. brute forcing something like that even with cloud computing would take you what, 900 years?

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Digitaldreamer7 said:
I don't agree with the stealing of personal and private financial information,but, I do think sony was asking for it if not downright begging for it. Don't F@*k with people's property. I didn't rent your console, I OWN the thing. If I want to buy a PS3, tear down your shitty software and run linux on it.. I damn well should be able to without fear of getting sued because its my fucking hardware. If I want to turn it into a robot that does the Mexican hat dance for money i have the RIGHT as the owner of said hardware to do so. I hope they lose enough money in this situation that it serves as a wake up call to them and other corporations and companies. when you sell us something, it's ours and unless we are using it for an illegal purpose (pirating games, cheating etc) then we can do whatever we please with the hardware. I'm even poised to say that the people who did it probably only stole the data to put sony in it's place. I'll be surprised if anything financially bad happens to anyone other then sony.

It's time all companies realized that they serve us the consumers. We don't serve them.
I don't think these incidents have anything to do with Sony's OtherOS policy or the other things that some people are angry about. This is a bunch assholes trying to steal people's information for their own gain, possibly using (as others here have suggested) the whole GeoHot/Anonymous/Sony shitstorm as cover. Even if it were about that, It would inspire even less sympathy in me toward those who are raging about wanting to install Linux on their PS3s or whatever (Why? Seriously? Someone told me it was so you could make the world's cheapest supercomputer, but don't you still need like 300 PS3s for that??), because they're being obnoxious and unconstructive and damaging the interests of millions of other gamers.

Seriously - would this be the approach you would use? Steal other people's information, keep them from playing games they like and make them fear for their finances and their identities, just so you could feel like you'd 'stuck it' to a large company? I hope not, because that would make you a very unpleasant person indeed! (Important note: I am in no way accusing you of this, I'm just trying to put things into perspective)

If that's the way we as gamers would choose to deal with problems we have with the companies who make the games we buy, then we should be ashamed of ourselves. We really would just be the self-entitled, arrogant children the popular media likes to portray us as.

Jyggalag

Jan 21, 2011
Wait...they're appreciating customers by giving them 30 days plus all of the days they've lost? That would be fine if there wasn't any IDENTITY THEFT. I'm glad I don't own A Playstation 3 and I don't plan on doing business with Sony.