Hackers Also Hit Sony Online, Stole 12,700 Credit Cards

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Wow, just wow. Something tells me that Sony is just the first. Good luck to the rest of the conglomerates on the internet. I feel sorry for Sony, they drew the short straw for being first.

blue spartan 11

Oct 13, 2009
Scott Bullock said:
Sony believes that the intrusion that took the information occurred sometime between April 16 and 17, which matches up nicely with the PSN hack.
And fifteen days later, they finally found out. Yeah. That sure was secure.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Megacherv said:
Do SOE have anything to do with SCEE? I thought that SCEE was purely Playstation and SOE just collaborated with them occasionally.
SOE is more the game development/publishing side while SCEA is more the console/gaming network side.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
holy mother of monkeys Sony!!!!! what the fuck is wrong with you and security??? your CEO hates condoms or something??? wow Anon threatens to attack (and does it quite sucessfuly), PSN gets hacked, and now this? holy shit one would think they wouldve hade that netwrok locked down tight!!!!

Anyone with your CC info in Sony's databases... start changing the CC now and never give Sony your CC ever again!

utopaline

Jan 28, 2011
We also need to realize that Hackers DID NOT DO THIS!! Crackers did, there is a difference we need to realize that.
http://goarticles.com/article/Hackers-vs-Crackers-is-there-a-difference-between-good-and-bad/834016/

just wanted to get that out there. there is a difference

uto

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
NickCooley said:
I would of though after the initial hacking incident they would have beefed up security. Or is the hacker plugged into the Matrix?
Read the article. They were hacked at the same time and only just noticed with SOE, which is independant to PSN and SCEA. In short, it was a coordinated attack on two different parts of Sony with two different sets of security. This was not some kid who wants to stick it to the an these are people who know how to hack. This is not someone who is hired to test the security of the company, these are not Hackers, these are Crackers.

A Hacker tests a security system for knowledge, a Cracker is someone who goes in to maliciously steal things or do damage

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
Does this mean they'll not be making a PS4 for fear of nobody buying it because the PSN is guarded with bamboo fencing?

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Jailbird408 said:
Does this mean they'll not be making a PS4 for fear of nobody buying it because the PSN is guarded with bamboo fencing?
I hope not, that would be terrible. It would essentially leave Microsoft and Nintendo as the only large players in gaming, both of which are aimed towards completely different markets of gamers.

redisforever said:
Holy hell, can you guys not encrypt anything?! Hell, use TrueCrypt! It's free.
This series of hackings doesn't imply that Sony's security was crap. It just enforces the idea that any system has the capability to be hacked.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
This is not a coincidence.

Remember when Sony were all "WURR GUNNA FUCK YEW UUURRRRP" when they were hyping their team of "super lawyers" and doing everything to piss off its users?

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
SpaceMedarotterX said:
NickCooley said:
I would of though after the initial hacking incident they would have beefed up security. Or is the hacker plugged into the Matrix?
Read the article. They were hacked at the same time and only just noticed with SOE, which is independant to PSN and SCEA. In short, it was a coordinated attack on two different parts of Sony with two different sets of security. This was not some kid who wants to stick it to the an these are people who know how to hack. This is not someone who is hired to test the security of the company, these are not Hackers, these are Crackers.

A Hacker tests a security system for knowledge, a Cracker is someone who goes in to maliciously steal things or do damage
That's not what a "cracker" is where I'm from, but the meaning of words can and do change over time and from place to place.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
Sony needs to hire Dr. Hax. That should fix this whole mess.

Seriously, why? The GeoHotz fiasco is over and Anonymous has dropped their "attacks," so I don't understand why people are keeping this up.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
immovablemover said:
Well you can't blame GeoHot for this; This hack has absolutely nothing to do with the PS3 Root key.
Why do you say that?

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
At first my opinion of Sony wasn't really affected by any of this hacking business, because hackers will be hackers. While they are certainly not heroes in any light, they do help to ensure security is constantly evolving and getting better as a result of their mischief.

They honestly fucked up with the PS3 security, then decided the best course of action was to sue people to scare them into stopping their actions and bringing the wrath of a rather skilled community against them. Now their servers are under attack and the customers are going to pay the price.

The more this story unfolds the more I'm beginning to feel like Sony wasn't taking security seriously in the first place. The scope of security related issues Sony has faced in the past few months has been shocking.

The real issue for me though, is how reluctant they are to just come clean about it and be upfront with their customers. They drag their feet, and keep things secretive when there is a real threat to people. People should not be finding over a week after the fact that their information is out there.

Shame on you Sony.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
But on an important note, Who used Sony Online? Not trying to be a dick but I thought that was canned a long time ago