Hackers Offer PSN Credit Cards For Sale

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Am I the only one who wants the hackers found and crucified?

OT: Man, this really sucks. I was hoping to buy a PS3 to play some exclusive games when I went away to school, but now, I don't think I will.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
I am sooooo glad right now that I have neither creditcard or playstation 3.... Though it's a frightening prostpect that this might give DRM and other security measures a massive boost..... bye bye easy gaming.

I do hope that this does not lead to this:

andy10623

Apr 29, 2011
This really pisses me off. I just canceled my debit card and got a new one issued. I might just try to sell my PS3 now. I'm afraid to use it again.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
GeeksUtopia said:
that is why i only use prepaid cards, all websites should have a prepaid card to purchase stuff. If i need a heart transplant, going to pay it with a prepaid card lol.
Most big banks can generate fake cards linked to your actual account, for safety while shopping electronically.

John the Gamer said:
I am sooooo glad right now that I have neither creditcard or playstation 3.... Though it's a frightening prostpect that this might give DRM and other security measures a massive boost..... bye bye easy gaming.

I do hope that this does not lead to this:
*snip*
What the hell does this have to do with DRM? Or do you just randomly link XKCD comics to news stories regardless of relevance?

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
HaraDaya said:
Damn, my condolences to all the PSN users that has to worry about this. I'd feel ill knowing my personal information could very well be sold right now.
That's the internet in a nutshell. Really if you use any online service that requires such information, you are at risk.
Ignorance is bliss. Though I admit I have gone through all the sites with my creditcard information stored and removed it. If the site still remembers it after that, I dunno. Ignorance is bliss.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
gamerguy473 said:
If Sony actually was offered the chance to re-purchase them, they should have jumped on it.
Dont be ridiculous. Theres no guaranteeing its the actual list, and even if it was, the sellers could just make a copy to keep for themselves. Thats a huge gamble for anyone to take.

pdgeorge

Dec 25, 2008
At the moment I wouldn't be surprised if there is a few people just 'saying' they can sell you details, but they are actually just full of ****.

Let's be honest. Right now is the best time for someone to stand up and say "Hey guys! I'm the one that hacked the PSN and can get you credit card numbers!" The person either has a number of card to sell already, or they just sell you a bunch of random numbers.

Seriously, I'm surprised people like that aren't taken out easily.
Officer in charge of taking douches like that out: "I'll accept your offer, how much?" "*this much*" "Ok fine" *Pays*
Then spend some time tracking that money where it goes. "Oh, it was sent to *that account*, *look into details of that account* got withdrawn at an ATM/Bank in *this area* and the original account was created *by person, at location, at time*" Sure some of that stuff can be faked, but it at least gives a starting location

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
Reminds me of the whole kotaku thing a while back, where everyone who posted on the site had their email address and password released. I just happened to have posted 1 comment on Kotaku a couple of years prior, that was never even published, meaning my main Email address got fucked beyond use. The annoying thing was how the guys who stole the data were applauded as heroes when the only people who suffered were the users, and the owners of the other sites within the Gawker network who had shit all to do with what the main fuckhead at the top said.

Nice to see that this time everyone is against the warped sense of justice of whoever has done this, though Sony can go bankrupt now for all I care, that would be a damn good thing actually as it would serve as a permanent reminder to other companies who handle large amounts of sensitive data of what will happen if they aren't careful. I'm sure Microsoft and Valve won't be as careless as to let every single piece of data they hold on everyone fall into the wrong hands. Sony can be an example of failure basically.

But it's far too common place now for on-line stores and services to do things like this. It shouldn't be a fucking gamble when you buy things on-line, there should be zero risk of the merchant screwing up potentially years down the line, if they think that it could happen then they shouldn't store credit card details for eternity.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
If some ass-wipe is giving away credit cards on an open forum that people can access, then wouldn't that put them at a large risk of being caught by some type of interpol or police force online? I mean, the FBI did track down and nab a few 40 some Anon's earlier this year for being stupidly open. Honestly, if I hacked down the PSN network, I would not go around waving it like a flag to the public, especially when so many people (like the Escapist forum) are watching.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
MianusIzBleeding said:
Ok, I deleted my Card info off of PSN before Christmas before I got rid of my PS3
Is my Info on Sony's database still or am I ok?

Any help will be greatly appreciated
I think by law, if you delete it yourself, they are no longer allowed to keep a record of it. But I wouldn't be surprised be if they are allowed to keep the data for a year after or some shit, as you can see, the laws on data protection are designed to be complex shit that you need a degree in law to actually understand your own rights http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Protection_Act_1998

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
One person in 77 million has suffered from credit card fraud in the past week? Run for the hills, we're all doomed!!!!!

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
MianusIzBleeding said:
Ok, I deleted my Card info off of PSN before Christmas before I got rid of my PS3
Is my Info on Sony's database still or am I ok?

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Did you buy anything on the PSN? If so, your purchase records could be there but as for your card I cannot give you that information.
If not, you made a good move.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
EchetusXe said:
One person in 77 million has suffered from credit card fraud in the past week? Run for the hills, we're all doomed!!!!!
For simply allowing one person's credit card details to be stolen due to carelessness would be enough for people to distrust Sony. It's not just a case of 'Oh well! as long as it's not me it's all ok!!!'

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Also remember, if it hasn't been said already, that people don't need that 3 digit number on the back of the card to make "in person" purchases. That number is really only for the internet, so they can say "yes you are holding the card in your hand."

If i got a card that said (insert american name here) and went to the grocery store, or the liquor store, or best buy, or pretty much anywhere else, then all i need is the credit card number, on a card. So them not having that 3 digit number only prevents them from ordering a new wife from russia, and buying tons of crap through the internet.